Bangkok Hotel and Travel ideas

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok Hotel and Travel ideas

I'm a 21 year old female. I'm going to be in Thailand for a few weeks this December and January. This is my first time there and I'm asking for any advice on a great place to stay while I'm in Bangkok from December 31st through January 5th. I've been looking at the Mariott, but am keeping my eyes and ears open for other hotels. I also wanted any travel advice on great places to see and any ideas of things to do for Xmas and Western New Years. I am young and want to have fun, but I tend to enjoy hanging out with apeople a little older than me. Any help would be great and much appreciated... Thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 05:00 PM

unfortunately your dates are the most expensive times to stay in bkk for the whole year....

you would love the marriott, but its not a singles type place, but you would not feel out of place, its just not really a meeting type place....people are friendly in the pool and you can strike up conversations so it may work out for you that way....the bar is not really a hang out type place either...
i do not want to discourange you from staying there i just want to be realistic....

in the center of town there are tons of more hip places but again there is the $$ angle at that time of year...

davis hotel might suit you or the metropolitan on sathorn rd

look at this web site: www.hauhin.20m.com
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 05:12 PM

I would stay somewhere more in the middle of things than the Marriott. The Metropolitan or Reflections might suit you.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 07:37 PM

the jw marriott on soi 2, sumhumvit is in the middle of things....it is more money too...i just assumed that you were referring to the marriott resort on the river....

fireworks on new year eve would be nice on the river...

places to visit:

grand palace
jim thompson house
wat arun
klong tour of thornburi by long tail boat
wat pho
marble wat
v-mark palace
suan packard palace
flower market near to chinatown
nite market at corner of rama IV and wireless roads

outside of bkk:

floating market in DS
koh samui
phuket
krabi
phi phi
koh chang
hua hin
golden triangle, north of chiang rai

this should give you a start
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 09:10 PM

www.thailandguidebook.com/
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help. Yeah, I have bought a efw guidebooks and have a rough idea of things I want to see. As for the hotels, money really isn't a concern. I'd just liek to stay somewhere that makes sense for site-seeing. Also, a place that I would be able to find some great restraunts and such near.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:00 PM

Go to the Metropolitan. I liked it a lot and would stay there again. It's totally hip....modern, and I loved that the staff was all clad in Yoshi Yamamoto uniforms.The hotel is also well-known for its spa and the food was great,too. It was nice to have a healthy restaurant along with a regular restaurant. Plus, there's a club at the hotel. And, the Sukothai Hotel is next door if you want to eat at some of the restaurants there and the Banyan Tree is up the street. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:42 PM

if money isn't an object then metropolitan is probably fabulous for you....the location is sort of out of the way and not near any sights, but the hotel outweighs all of that...

w hotel is another possibility...

the shangri-la hotel is also a good bet with skytrain right next door..

honestly no hotels are well placed for everything that one wants to do in bkk....all require some travel ....taxis are very cheap and plentiful...
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Well, I made reservations at Metropolitan, thanks everyone!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 08:07 AM

Hi Denise here, I will be in BBK and Thailand Nov 20th - if anyone else is there and will be staying at least a month. Thanks for all your help and I am a 40, single female.