Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok hotel advice: good pool? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-hotel-advice-good-pool-620021/)

CathyY Jun 1st, 2006 07:06 AM

Bangkok hotel advice: good pool?

Hi

We are planning a trip to Bangkok for 10 nights over Christmas and New Year. We have previously stayed at the hotels below and whilst we like them are looking for something different.

Shangri la
JW Marriott
Landmark
Amari Watergate
Century Park

We especially want a good decent sized pool area as we will be in the city for so long. Any recommendations would be gratefully received? Our current favouries are the Conrad & Plaza Athenee so any comments on these would also be gratefully received!

Thanks a lot
Cathy

Bella_Bluebell Jun 1st, 2006 07:12 AM

I haven't stayed there yet - going in less than two months yippee! - but we have chosen the Marriott Resort & Spa on the river for the start of our stay on the basis of its wonderful pools. I am sure bob will tell you of the merits :) - but take a look at the photos, really beautiful.

rhkkmk Jun 1st, 2006 09:57 AM

the marriott resort and spa has the best pool area in bkk bare none....the nei lert is also said to be quite nice..

while i hate the hotel, the sheraton orchid has a lovely pool area in the grounds of the portugese embassy...

the sheraton grande has a decent, albeit smallish, pool area

some of the center point aparment complexes have decent pools as well..

i myself prefer the river area and thus the marriott is our choice for our late november, early december stay of 14 consecutive nites this year, as well as a couple of earlier stays in the trip

DonTopaz Jun 1st, 2006 10:16 AM

The Grand Hyatt Erawan has a very pleasant pool area, very much in the middle of its recently-renovated spa. The pool has an irregular shape, which makes for lots of room for chairs and umbrellas without feeling crowded. Bar and food service is available at the pool.

The Erawan is at a great location - across the street from the Gaysorn shopping center and connected directly to the Skytrain.

Walter_Walltotti Jun 1st, 2006 10:39 AM

The Peninsula has a 60 metre tiered pool that leads down to the river. There are pool side cabanas and the nicest pool loos I've ever seen!

Guenmai Jun 1st, 2006 11:48 AM

Why not try a serviced apartment building? The building I rent in is Emporiumsuites.com attached to the Emporium Shopping Mall and Prom Phong skytrain station and the pool is very nice. There's also a Clarins spa and gym in the pool area along with a grassed area witht tables and chairs to relax in and a tropical area. This is all on the 8th floor of the 40-plus floored building. Happy Travels!

althom1122 Jun 1st, 2006 12:24 PM

Centre Point Silom has a very nice pool area (although I can't compare it with any of the other places). It also features wonderful apartments, and for a 10-day stay, I can't imagine settling for a single hotel room when you could have a full living room, dining room, kitchen, bedroom, and bath for less $ than most of the hotels! It's an amazing deal. Check it out!

tnnc Jun 4th, 2006 04:55 PM

We stayed at the Conrad in July 2005 and it had a very pretty pool area on the 5th floor I believe, so you can see the high rise buildings around it. It has a main pool area and then a smaller jacuzzi type pool with waterfall wall. The Conrad was very modern and in a great location close to Siam square. We had also stayed at the Marriott Riverside and liked that better because the buildings are only 4-5 stories and the pool is on the groundfloor over looking the river. We also liked the buffet breakfast better at the Marriott. But the Conrad was a good location for us at the end of our trip, and the bathrooms are very nice.

rhkkmk Jun 4th, 2006 05:30 PM

tnnc...your e mail no longer works...can you send me a new one??

[email protected]

how about joining us for GTG on oct 7 in cambridge ma??

bob

jat Jun 4th, 2006 06:25 PM

I also stayed at the Marriott Resort and Spa and loved it.

lovesadventure Jun 4th, 2006 06:53 PM

Is there a hotel with a good pool located on Sukhumvit?

Kathie Jun 4th, 2006 07:15 PM

lovesadventure, What about the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit or the Grand Hyatt Erawan? The hotels along Sukhumvit don't have the feel that the river hotels do, but they are very convenient to the malls.

rhkkmk Jun 4th, 2006 07:44 PM

and both have decent pools, but not the fabulous ones found at the marriott or sheraton...

nei lert is off of plenochit, a continueation of sukhumvit

agent101 Jun 7th, 2006 05:21 AM

The best choice i think is Marriott Resort and Spa. You get the resort feel in the city, really! and at night you can dine along the banks of chao phraya and enjoy either the scenery or the nightly cultural show!

AprilA Jun 9th, 2006 09:39 AM

I second the vote for the Peninsula. The pool is wonderful!! The pool is tiered and each tier cascades into the next tier so you always have that soothing sound of running water. The hotel is very nice also and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly.
Have a wonderful trip, April

rhkkmk Jun 9th, 2006 09:49 AM

i find the getting in and out of the penn pool difficult at best, and the fact that it is all one level (no deep end) off putting..

it is a beautiful pool area however and the staff are very attentive...

AprilA Jun 9th, 2006 01:14 PM

The above post is correct. I sort of blocked out the getting out of the pool thing. They do only have ladders and they don't exactly go all the way to the bottom of the pool. My 13 year old had NO problem, at that age they do that pull up on the side of the pool thing anyway. But the waterfall over your head relaxation at the top of each tier sort of made up for it!!

They also had the best crab fried rice and spring rolls on the pool side menu!!

I wish I was there!!

TracyB Jun 9th, 2006 04:37 PM

I just loved the Marriott Resort and Spa pool...Because it was soooo hot while we were in BKK in March..we spent almost every afternoon swimming to stay cool..It was awesome..Then we would have a drink and something to eat and go back in..I loved the hot tub also..It wasn't really that hot, but it was nice for the jets..Anyhow..i'd go with the Marriott..The whole place is really really nice and the staff is so friendly..They even called us by name..

Next time we go to BKK, we will definately stay there again..My husband isn't even a swimmer, and i could barely get him out of the pool!!

rhkkmk Jun 9th, 2006 06:30 PM

ro add to the above...the main pool has lots of jets on the river side of the pool and i take a self massage there every day....no wise-cracks from cambridge!!!

at the penn as i remember there is nothing to hold on to when getting in and out and at the steep angle anyone over 12 needs help....

Walter_Walltotti Jun 10th, 2006 02:44 AM

Agree with the comments made that the Penn's pools whilst great, are not the easiest to get out of