Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-hotel-641419/)

JennyP Aug 23rd, 2006 01:43 PM

Bangkok Hotel

I'm from the US and was wondering if its possible to book the hotel rooms in Thailand in Baht versus US Dollar? If so, is it cheaper to do this or vice versa? I've looked up some hotel sites but everything is stated in USD.

Thank you.

Kathie Aug 23rd, 2006 01:57 PM

You'll generally find the best rates at some of the local internet booking companies. The one I use in Thailand is www.sawasdee.com The rates quoted there are inclusive of tax and service (17%)

Craig Aug 23rd, 2006 02:38 PM

Typically the prices on the Asian sites are converted from Baht and vary according to the daily exchange rates. It is sometimes cheaper to book on these sites but if it is a chain, be sure to check the chain's website as well. Note that breakfast, tax and service may or may not be included and have a big influence on the total rate.

JamesA Aug 23rd, 2006 04:21 PM

You cna find local sites where rates are based on Thai Baht and then converted at the rate on the day of payment to your credit card currency,
www.beachsiam.com/bangkok.html

rhkkmk Aug 23rd, 2006 07:08 PM

a cousin to the site kathie suggest is:

www.huahin.20m.com

at the bottom of the individual hotel sites there is a drop down that asks what currency you want to have it quoted in....

why would you want that??

just multiply the B by 37 and you have the approx. cost today...

rhkkmk Aug 23rd, 2006 07:11 PM

it is not cheaper....they will charge you in baht at all hotels and it will be converted to $$ by your credit card company...the conversion will be for the rate in effect on the day the charge is presented, which may differ from the day you check out, but not by much...

currency fluxuations from day to day in B is not significant....its been 35-45 B per dollar for a few years not...recently 37-41 most of the time...2006 it has been 37-39 all year i think

JennyP Aug 24th, 2006 08:37 AM

I wasn't sure if it was more cost efficient to book everything in Baht. For instance, I went on the Marriott website and looked for a room and the amount quoted was in US Dollars. So then I started wondering, if I were to reserve a room at the Marriott in Baht, would it be cheaper. Or maybe it makes no difference.

By the way, does anyone have any hotel suggestions? I was hoping to keep it to no more than $120 per nite.

rhkkmk Aug 24th, 2006 09:57 AM

try this web site:

www.huahin.20m.com

its my favorite....fall./winter rates to be published shortly...

marriott will be around $135-140 inclusive (tax-service-breakfast)

Kathie Aug 24th, 2006 10:10 AM

Jenny, when are you traveling? Hotel rates do vary depending on the time of year. And are you just looking for a Bangkok hotel or are you looking for hotels in other locations as well?

JennyP Aug 24th, 2006 12:15 PM

We'll be in Bangkok towards the end of November. We would like to visit 1-2 other cities while we're there but we're not sure yet. Maybe Phuket and Chiang Mai or Pattanya.

rhkkmk Aug 24th, 2006 08:03 PM

watch here for a posting next week about a mini gtg in bangkok at the end of november...