Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok for beginners...general info needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-for-beginners-general-info-needed-832657/)

ParkerSunshine Mar 25th, 2010 07:00 AM

Bangkok for beginners...general info needed

Tell me about Bangkok...

If you have 4 - 5 days in Bangkok (not consecutive), probably 3 on arrival and 2 when departing...

(July time frame)

1-what are the must see/must do's (excursions, culture, food, etc)
2-recommend hotels (budget approx $80 - $100 per night and do not mind staying at different hotels for arrival and departure)
3-means of getting around in the city?
4-tour guide a yes or no? (if yes recommend please)
5-type of clothing to wear this type of year? weather temperature?

Lastly, I want to split my time between here and Phucket originally, but this board has swayed me not to go to Phucket in July due to hard currents, dangerous waters and rain -- so where to from Bangkok for beautiful beaches and lively nightlife?

THANK YOU!!!

simpsonc510 Mar 25th, 2010 08:06 AM

#3 skytrain and/or subway, but taxis are cheap too (they just sit and sit in traffic a lot of the time)

#5 light weight cotton... Bangkok is always hot

#4 depends on what you want to see

Kathie Mar 25th, 2010 01:32 PM

1. My basic must-sees: Temple of the Emerald Buddha/Grand Palace Complex, Wat Po, Jim Thopmson House. Lots of other things to see and do depending on your interests, e.g., the Prasart Museum for those intersested in SE Asian Arts, lots of additional Wats for those intersted in Buddhism, the Erawan Shrine, etc, etc.

2. There are zillions of hotels. The question will be what area to stay in. I'm a river person, others prefer the Sukhumvit or Silom areas. Check out www.sawasdee.com for options

3. I like using public transport, especially the skytrain and the water taxis, but as Carol says, taxis are cheap and I use them as well.

4. I prefer not to use a guide. Bangkok is easy to learn, and doing it on your own opens up the whole city to you. Some people like having a guide but it is not necessary.

5. All time of the year, very light natural fiber clothing. You'll need to have shoulders and knees covered for entering wats, and you'll find that coving yourself from the sun keeps you cooler. SHorts and tank tops are resort wear, not city wear.

For a beach, consider Koh Samui or Hua Hin.

kmkrnn Mar 25th, 2010 01:40 PM

Hua Hin is drivable (3 Hours) by bus, van, or by private car and tons of good hotels. Nice beach, quieter than Phuket, but if you are into the bar scene it is there.

marya_ Mar 25th, 2010 02:20 PM

I like Kathie's basic list (although I have not yet had the pleasure of visiting the Prasart). You might consider adding a klong tour since many of us enjoy those quite a bit.

Other possibilities, depending upon how your schedule comes together, include Wat Arun, the Suuan Pakkad Museum, and attending a performance of dance or other traditional arts.

It is great fun to travel by river taxi. Depending upon your destination, you can sometimes take advantage of the complimentary shuttle boats operated by the major river hotels. The Skytrain is easy to use. If you are feeling adventurous, you can try the inexpensive boats used by local people on lesser waterways. Taxis are sometimes necessary but traveling on the river or on the Skytrain is more pleasant.

Allow plenty of time to enjoy meals and drinks since there are so many appealing settings and such exquisite food.

The high-end malls and some of the outdoor markets are worth seeing even if shopping doesn't rise to the top of your list. I wouldn't want to tackle Chatuchak market without a copy of the Nancy Chandler map though.

Some of us have enjoyed using a guide from Tong's team to travel out of the city. You can research that question here. You definitely do not need a guide in the city though.

Do read up on the clothing requirements for visiting the Grand Palace and wats. Don't pay attention to touts who tell you that major attractions are unusually closed that day.

A delightful film, if you haven't seen it, is THE OVERTURE. You might enjoy screening it while planning and packing.

Happy planning. There is so much beauty in Thailand.

Gpanda Mar 25th, 2010 04:02 PM

Five days is perfect in Bangkok. You will get to see all the major sights ands absorb the magic. It will be astounding. You don't need a guide, but if your budget allows and extra $100, I suggest that you ccontact Tong at TourwithTong.com and arrange a visit to the Floating market and Fishing Village. This is a really spectacualr day and works well with city touring. The food in BKK is unbelievable. You wiill be thrilled.

I agree with Krmkmn that Hua Hin is a good beach destination. For your budget you can get a nice hotel. You can catch a cheap van from BKK for about $10 per person.

rhkkmk Mar 25th, 2010 05:23 PM

expect temps in the 90's with 90 % humidity 24/7...

grand palace is #1 for touring....can do on own...
wat pho and wat arun are good sites too
jim thompson house-- all these can easily be done on your own.

remember on days one and two you will be tired...jet lague

centre point silom might be a good place for you near to the river--- about $65.

marriott courtyard is another
majestic grande is another
bangkok holiday inn on plenochit is another

www.agoda.com
www.asiarooms.com
www.sawadee.com

all these are good hotel sites

do you have any hotel points? starwoods has fantastic cash and points deals in bkk....

simpsonc510 Mar 26th, 2010 05:19 AM

sunshine
You might want to consider Koh Samui for your island visit. You indicated that you wanted night life. Take a look at hotels/resorts on Chaweng Beach. A couple of years ago, we stayed at Seascape Resort on Chaweng. It's pretty basic, but right on the beach, and lots of activity right outside the door and onto the street. Another place with a really nice beach (but not within the nightlife zone) would be Crystal Bay Resort. You could rent a car or motorbike to get around, or hail a taxi/tsongtau along the main road, which is right outside the door at Crystal Bay.

gard Mar 28th, 2010 09:35 PM

Hi

I have made a Bangkok trip report that you might find useful - check it out on http://gardkarlsen.com/Bangkok_trip_report_2007.htm

1-what are the must see/must do's (excursions, culture, food, etc)
<b>Gard: It is a very broad question. You should buy a book called Culture shock Thailand. It gives a good understanding about the culture. You should also buy a regular guidebook - I have the Eyewitness Guide for Thailand</b>

2-recommend hotels (budget approx $80 - $100 per night and do not mind staying at different hotels for arrival and departure)
<b>Gard: Try to find a hotel located near a skytrain or subway station - it makes it easier to get around. I have stayed on Sukhumvit road and by the river and both a good locations.</b>

3-means of getting around in the city?
<b>Gard: Skytrain, subway, chao Phraya river express and taxi</b>

4-tour guide a yes or no? (if yes recommend please)
<b>Gard: You can get by with a good guidebook but having a guide from time to to time is also nice :-)</b>

5-type of clothing to wear this type of year? weather temperature?
<b>Gard: check out weather stats on http://www.weatherbase.com :-)</b>

Lastly, I want to split my time between here and Phucket originally, but this board has swayed me not to go to Phucket in July due to hard currents, dangerous waters and rain -- so where to from Bangkok for beautiful beaches and lively nightlife?
<b>Gard: Phuket is not really my favorite - I would recommend Samui or Krabi instead. But as it is the wet season you might have some rain on a daily basis but that has never been a problem for us.</b>

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures