Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok Flower Market (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-flower-market-568230/)

GrandmaCarol Nov 1st, 2005 08:02 PM

Bangkok Flower Market

When is the best time to visit the flower market in Bangkok? Would a stop in the afternoon be just as good as the morning?
Thanks

rhkkmk Nov 1st, 2005 09:46 PM

carol...i have only been in the morning and afternoon but i am told the best time is late at nite....wait until you see roses with 3 foot stems....thousands of them and all for $1 for a dozen or more...plus all the orchids, etc...

glorialf Nov 2nd, 2005 02:55 AM

The best time is definitely at night --around 11 PM. I went after the night market one evening.

Bella_Bluebell Nov 2nd, 2005 03:03 AM

Sorry to hop in on your thread GrandmaCarol - but I am interested in this too!

How could we arrange a night visit to the market - is it best with someone like Ratt or can it be done on our own?

Thanks

glorialf Nov 2nd, 2005 04:14 AM

I did it with ratt when I went at night. There were virtually no other tourists there. When I went in the morning I went by boat. I can't remember if there were taxis around the area or not.

Hanuman Nov 2nd, 2005 04:37 AM

If you want to go by yourself, not recommended, tell the taxi driver that you want to go to "Pak Klong Ta-lard". There are usually a lot of taxis around there. As already mentioned night time is good from but the best time is normally around 4 - 5 am.

pamdamage Nov 2nd, 2005 04:56 AM

Why is night the best time? Fewer people?

glorialf Nov 2nd, 2005 05:50 AM

Night time is the best time because it is much livelier == a lot more sellers and buyers. It's when the thais go. A lot more flowers.

Hanuman Nov 2nd, 2005 06:22 AM

The flowers from all over the country start arriving at night and are normally sold by the early morning. My wife, a frequent shopper there, says that around 4 - 5 am the market will have the most amount of flowers, variety and quantity.

Gpanda Nov 2nd, 2005 06:23 AM

While night is the best time to visit, if you do it in the early morning, e.g., 7:30, it's very easy to combine it with a walking tour through Chinatown, which is very close.

glorialf Nov 2nd, 2005 06:27 AM

I've done it at 7:30Am and it is only 25% as much fun and as interesting as it is at night. I've always gone in the morning. It was Ratt who convinced me to go at night and she was 1000% right.

Bella_Bluebell Nov 2nd, 2005 07:15 AM

Thanks Gloria - I think we'll use Ratt and go at night then.

GrandmaCarol Nov 2nd, 2005 07:20 AM

Thanks everyone for you informitive input.
We will try to fit an early AM trip to the flower market, 11 PM is a little late for us.
We leave next week, and thanks to all at this forum, we have loads of information.
Hope to post a trip report when we get back.

Kathie Nov 2nd, 2005 07:30 AM

Hanuman, why do you say it's not recommended to go buy yourself? It's been years ago, but I've taken a taxi there before.

Hanuman Nov 2nd, 2005 08:03 AM

Kathie,

I just meant to say that it will be more enjoyable with a guide especially for someone who is a visitor to Thailand. Also since a night visit was reccomended, I personnaly think it will be wise to travel at night with someone instead of going in a taxi by yourself at 11.00 pm. Call me paranoid!

Kathie Nov 2nd, 2005 03:05 PM

Thanks, Hanuman, I understand. I personally prefer an early morning visit.