Bangkok - English Thai cook book and good grilled Thai chicken

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Bangkok mid September and was hoping to buy a good Thai cook book in English do you have any suggestions where to buy and what titles/authors?

I've heard a lot about the grilled Thai chicken (Gai yang?) can you give us suggestions on where to get them?

Thanks
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 07:31 AM

Recently did a cookery cours at Chiang Mai Cookery School and have been using Chef Sompon's book extensively since our return and the results have been excellent. Most of his recipes are available online : http://www.thaicookeryschool.com/recipes and the book is also available to purchase on the website. Gai yang is available just about everywhere on the street stalls - probably as many differnt recipes as there are stalls!
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 12:30 PM

try asia books, there are many in bangkok, but one is right on sukhumvit near nana station..

how about amazon--that way the measurements will be in usa based levels.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 05:33 PM

If you are looking for a GREAT Thai cookbook with authentic and easy recipes, give this book a try!

http://www.amazon.com/Thailand-Beaut...4366727&sr=1-3

It is a big book that is filled with beautiful photos of Thailand...but it is the recipes that are really awesome. We have cooked many of the dishes and everything has been wonderful. Get it now and you will be cooking great dishes before you leave for Thailand.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 06:24 PM

I find David Thompson's big compendium "Thai Food" to be the best and most comprehensive book on Thai cooking, in English. It's one of the few English language Thai cookbooks I own. The other two-dozen or so are in Thai.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM

Agree with Michael that the David Thompson's book is well written especially for foreigners who are serious about Thai cooking.

Grilled chicken is quite common and often the best one are at the same restaurant that serves "Som Tum". If you want to try a different of-take on the grilled chicken then you should try the Polo fried chicken which is renown for it's flavor and also served alongside Som Tum.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 04:58 AM

There is an even bigger book by David Thompson, Thai Street Food, recently published. Both of his books are beautiful.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone I will check Amazon!

Hanuman, do you have the address for the restaurant taht serves "Som Tum". I've heard of polo fried chicken too, so many things to try out!

Is it okay to eat street food? What do I need to watch out for?
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 12:23 AM

I would second Hanuman's recommendation of Polo Fried Chicken. We visited in December and the chicken was amazing. Beautifuly cooked and server with mountains of deep fried garlic and various dipping sauces (the Pla Yang is fantastic- a reddish chilli sauce I had never tried before). There are numerous variations of Som Tum available all weel spiced . The version with salted crab was excellent. All washed down with ice cold beers, it makes for a great lunch or dinner experience.

The address is 137/1-2 Soi Polo, off Wittayu [Wireless Rd.], Pratunam, Bangkok . It is a 15 min walk from the Sukumvit/ Wireless Rd Junction. If you happen to be staying at the Conrad or Plaza Athenee it is pretty convenient.

I have no problems eating street food in Bangkok (or most other places for that matter) I am sure others will disagree, but for me it is the essence of food in Asia. I always make a point of heading for stalls that are busy and frequented by locals. If choosing chicken for example I will wait for it to come straight off the BBQ rather taking stuff that has been around for a while. Always ensure that food is piping hot and is not being reheated.

If concerned about eating on the street, then there are always the ubiquitous food courts which serve similar cuisine.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks crellston. I read about this book on best Bangkok streetfood vendors I need to order from Amazon.