Bangkok & Phuket in July

Search

Bangkok & Phuket in July

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok & Phuket in July

We are planning on going to Bangkok and Phuket next July. Our schedule only allows this time of year. Will the weather be a problem? Has anyone stayed at the Phuket Marriott? We are trying for an exchange with the timeshare. I'd like to get some opinions from anyone who has stayed there and also at that time to year. Thanks for your responses.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 12:09 PM

July is middle of Monsoon Rainy Season in Phuket, however if that is the only time can travel you should perhaps be looking at Koh Samui on the Gulf side. As faras the marriott Phuket goes IMHO it is just so remote and away from everything.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 12:16 PM

I did not word that very well. The Marriott Phuket is a fine Resort if you want a place that is remote, if you want somewhere that has nice beaches but closer to activities then Kata or Karon, however the heavy rains can make sea swimming impossible.
Marriott also have resorts in Pattaya and Hua Hin.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 12:37 PM

We went to Bangkok/Koh Samui in July and early August. Bangkok was fine weather wise although we did get caught at the tail end of a typhoon- but that was an experience in itself as we waded through the undercover weekend market! Koh Samui had rain most days but this was early evening.If you are just looking for relaxation after Bangkok why not look at Koh Samui.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 05:56 PM

the group that owns many of the thailand marriotts is opening a place in koh samui in 2004, maybe it will be done by then....i am going in june and hope so

one fodors person with whom i have correspondence just stayed at the phuket marriott last week or the week before and loved it...she did not say anything bad about the weather...you could look for her recent post which had a title about the bangkok sheraton orchid hotel....you could contact her through that or she may respond to this message here....
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 06:12 PM

Bangkok is going to be hot, no matter when you go. I've been there in July and it wasn't all that bad. We didn't get much rain.

Phuket in July wasn't very good for swimming as the red (dangerous current) flags were posted at Kata Beach. But, we had two lovely days, weatherwise, for sight seeing and going to Phi Phi Island. One day was rainy, but we really didn't mind it all that much.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:28 AM

I would agree with JamesA that if you have a choice, the east coast of Thailand is better than Phuket in July in terms of rain.

I have stayed at the JW Marriott Phuket several times. This is the first new hotel built on Phuket in 10 years and has beautiful grounds and several pools. The timeshare units are very nice, good size bedrooms and living/dining area. Ask for a unit near the front of the property so you will have a good ocean view. The upper floor units have nice terrace, the ground floor units have little gardens and a gate to get right out on to the grounds, don't know which I would prefer. There is a kids club and a children's' area in the large swimming pool. There are several restaurants and an excellent spa. There is a turtle preserve next door which you can visit. There are tennis courts. The hotel is near the Blue Canyon Golf Club, the best course on the island (IMHO), and you can get playing privileges. Drawbacks are location (north of the airport and bit out of the action), and the surf on the beach is quite rough, I would not let young children swim in the ocean. It is good for airport access and for playing golf at the Pool Canyon Course, but it is about a 45 minute drive down to the Patong area. If shopping and eating out are your main concerns, the location may be a drawback. There is a small shopping arcade (including a Jim Thompson Thai silk shop) in the hotel, so if you don't mind staying on the property for meals and shopping you are all set. Very helpful staff.

Take a look at weatherbase.com for historical average temps and rainfall in various parts of Thailand during each month.

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 08:47 AM

We also have a time-share which purports to allow us access to the Phuket Marriot. However, after two years, we have yet to get anywhere and finally gave up. Like you, our schedule only permits us to visit in July, right in the middle of monsoon season, but if you don't mind the pool scene, it's fine. This year, we went to Phuket for a short stay and it was great for half the time and absolutely poured the rest. While it lasted, the beach time at the Chedi was fun, but the surf was way too rough for young kids.
the week before, however, we stayed in Krabi and had a wonderful time. While it may not always be that way, we understand it is somewhat protected and thus the beaches were calm and the waves small and gentle.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Our timeshare exchange was just confirmed for July 3 - 10, 2004, 2 bedroom at Marriott Phuket Beach Club.Looks like we'll just take our chances on the weather. We don't mind the remoteness of the resort as we would just like to rest and relax and enjoy the onsite amenities. I will be monitoring this site for more advice in the future.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 05:03 PM

About the best local Phuket site for what's on, where to go, weather etc is the online edition of the local English language newspaper:

www.phuketgazette.net