Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok and jewelry (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-and-jewelry-535241/)

sept_honeymoon Jun 8th, 2005 11:06 AM

Bangkok and jewelry

Hi -- I remember reading about a place in Bangkok that was super well thought of to buy jewelry at great prices on this board. But I can't remember any details except something about mentioning someone's specific name at the shop? Does this vague description ring any bells for you regulars out there? I suddenly find myself in the market for some good buys :) Thanks in advance!

Kathie Jun 8th, 2005 11:19 AM

I always recommend SJ International. Do a search on this board for all the contact info. Also, if you use my name, you'll get a better price. Say that Kathie from Seattle sent you.

BillT Jun 8th, 2005 11:34 AM

When and if you ever are in the market for pearls- the place to go is Manila.
We were there this year and I'm telling you - you would not believe the deals you can get on pearls there! If I told you the prices you would simply not believe me so I won't bother.

sept_honeymoon Jun 8th, 2005 12:07 PM

Thanks Kathie - that's exactly what I was looking for!!

hawaiiantraveler Jun 8th, 2005 01:37 PM

sept:
Count me as another one of SJ Intl's satisfied customers. Mention the name "Kathie from Seattle" and they literally drop all that they are doing to assist you. You won't be disappointed in the added discount!

sept_honeymoon Jun 8th, 2005 10:11 PM

Hawaii or Kathie - can you give me a sense of prices? For instance a 2 carat sapphire in a very simple setting? Kathie I'm coming from Portland so perhaps we could compare to pricing to a regional jeweler like Zells/Bailey Banks and Biddle? I'm getting so excited!

Kathie Jun 9th, 2005 06:52 AM

I figure I should be able to get sapphire and ruby jewelry for one half the wholesale price or less. That means one-fourth the price at a good jeweler like those you named (not the marked-up mall jeweler who sell things at half price that is twice the regular retail price!). Of course, the price of a two carat ring varies a lot depending on the sapphire. By the way, for an item like that, look at the rings they have made up, then ask to see loose stones. Often, they have some really special stones you can have set.

Also, I always recommend that people shop locally first so you know what US prices are like. Go to B,B&B and ask to see the best sapphires they have. You'll soon learn a lot about sapphires, which will make you a better shopper in Bangkok.

sept_honeymoon Jun 9th, 2005 08:22 AM

Kathy, you are a gem ;)

anu1976 Jan 8th, 2010 11:46 AM

Hi Kathie:

I wish I had read on this forum before. I have recently returned from my trip to Bangkok and had a chance to shop at SJ. I dealt with a lady name OH. I am just curious if you all negotiate and bring down the Tag price. Since you buy every year do you know good resource to get ruby ring or south sea pearls appraised without paying hefty appraisal fees.

Thanks for contributing wonderful input on this board.
Anu

Kathie Jan 8th, 2010 12:04 PM

Because I am a regular customer, they give me the "wholesale"
price, so no bargaining beyond that.

If you have a jeweler you deal with regularly where you live, that would be a good resource for an appraisal. Frankly, appraisers can be quite variable, so you really want to deal with someone you know. Years ago, our local paper (Seattle) did an article on jewelry appraisals. They found that you were best off to deal with a store that had items similar to what you want appraised. They also found that there was one jewelry store that always told the person bringing something in that it was a fake. But then the appraisl would come back fine. As you might imagine, that store is long out of business.

In my experience, good appraisals cost money... I don't know any way around it.

cakegal Jan 18th, 2010 12:18 PM

Hope you don't mind me bumping this-I had a question about SJ International.

I would love to make a stop there when we are in Bangkok. But since we have limited time, only if they would have items I would be interested in. What gems and metals are their specialties? What are the best items they sell. in terms of value and uniqueness? Also. how long does it generally take for them to set a gem?

lcuy Jan 18th, 2010 01:04 PM

They are a large business and carry most all stones, but their specialty is Sapphires (all colors) and rubies. Lots of pearls. Their cases at the back have their more high fashion designs. I've noticed buyers from Hong Kong store do a lot of their buying from that section.

Lots of high karat gold, both yellow and white, and they can dip a piece in the other 'color" for free. I've looked at Platinum as well. They have a section with very ethnic stuff, and a section of silver with semi-precious stones that are very inexpensive, but they will size it for free.
I've had stones re-set in a day with a ready- made setting, otherwise it takes them a few days if they are making a custom setting.

Make sure you call for a ride there. it's free and no obligation. If you shop and have things that need to be sized or altered, they will deliver them to your hotel if thats easier.

cakegal Jan 18th, 2010 01:31 PM

Thanks so much! Since we are getting married up at the Anantara after our stay in Bangkok, maybe I should pick up a sapphire for my "something blue!"

Kathie Jan 18th, 2010 02:02 PM

A sapphire is a great "something blue." Sapphires are the best deal, rubies are next. Yellow gold (18k) is the metal most frequently used, but you can get white gold as well.

As lcuy says, it takes a few days for a custom setting. I've gone there and designed a setting with one of their jewelers and had it made in a few days. If you find something already made up that you like (and they do have a huge selection) they can size it for you very quickly and deliver it to your hotel.