Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok Airports (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-airports-220899/)

vhs100 Jan 5th, 2008 10:57 AM

Bangkok Airports

Can anyone advise distance/travel time between the two please?

I am looking at arriving at one and departing from the other and I need to allow enoough time to make the connection.

Many thanks - vhs.

SirHalberd Jan 5th, 2008 01:08 PM

Although you can take a taxi and be at the other airport in around an hour or so without any traffic accidents or construction, allow at least 4 hours.

If the flight you are coming in on is really late because of weather or mechanical difficulties, or the lines for immigration screening are long, or the baggage conveyor craps out you may need the extra time! All of these things have happened to me over the past 10 years!

Better yet spend a night or two in Bangkok and then take your next flight. Bangkok is worth a visit. My advice is to spend the last night in Bangkok too so you won't have to worry about your connecting flight breaking down and you missing your flight home!

Don't forget when you change your money over to Thai baht to get some small bills for paying for the taxi. There is a taxi sign up desk just outside the arrivals hall. Sign up for a meter taxi there. Surcharge, toll charges and meter fare will probably run around 350 - 430 baht. The price for the taxi is for the ride not per passenger.

Good luck.

vhs100 Jan 5th, 2008 02:20 PM

Thanks SirHalberd.

My connection is internal though - returning from Phom Pehn to Bangkok and plan to fly out same day on a domestic flight to Phuket.

We arrive BKK @ 1040 hrs so was trying to guage what time flight to book for Phuket. I think check-in is just 1 hour before departure - do you still suggest allowing 4 hrs?

thanks - vhs.

Kathie Jan 5th, 2008 02:37 PM

What airline are you flying to Phuket? I ask because there are many flights to Phuket, and if the airline will just put you on the next flight if you don't make it (like Thai does), you don't have to worry as much as if you were flying a budget airline that will make you buy a new ticket (at a higher price) if you miss the flight.

Figure in the time it will take you to clear customs and immigration, pick up your luggage, take a taxi to Don Muang and check in at your flight there. I think you could do it in two hours, as long as there weren't major delays.

vhs100 Jan 5th, 2008 02:51 PM

Hi Kathie,

Was looking to book with Nokair which is coming up with the best price. Think I have resolved my own question however - two flight times after 1040 hrs are 12 noon and 15:55...only superwoman would make the 12 noon!!

Thanks - vhs.

Gpanda Jan 6th, 2008 05:22 AM

I would look at the Thai Air and Bangkok Air flights from BKK-Phuket. You could make this connection easily and not have to kill off 6 hours, plus inter-airport travel. The key is whether the savings in using a discount airline is worth the time and effort.

vhs100 Jan 6th, 2008 05:35 AM

Hi Gpanda.

Have just confirmed my flight with Nokair so now have the time to kill!

I figured we could use the time to eat a leisurely lunch somewhere nice - any suggestions?