Search

Bangkok airport transit time?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:16 AM
ccc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok airport transit time?

Does anyone know how much time we should allow to connect from Thai to Bangkok Airways? We will be arriving from the states so presumably will have to claim bags, clear bags, and recheck them. Is 1:45 enough?
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 05:48 AM

it should be enough time if everything is on time....it will not be enough if there are delays or immigration is backed up....at unbusy times 45 minutes is enough...

also it depends if you are flying domestic or international on bkk air....they are in seperate terminals and it takes time to change buildings...from the states you arrive in the international terminal and if you are flying out within thailand then you have to go to the domestic terminal which is next door...about a 10-15 minute walk really...there is a bus but beacause of one way traffic pattern it is probably faster to walk....there is an enclosed walkway between the two...it was not air conditioned when i last did it, but other fodorites say that there is a/c now...

most u.s. flights arrive at bkk late at nite, around mid-nite... bkk air usually only has flights during day-time...are you sure you will be flying out right away??
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 08:31 AM
ccc
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. Yes, our flight would actually arrive early am where ideally we would connect to Bangkok Air to Siem Reap leaving at 8AM. Given that this would be an international flight, would it be in the same terminal as our arriving Thai flight or would we still have to change terminals?
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:52 AM

yes, bangkok air has a small seperate room/lounge in the international terminal for their departing passengers....so that will certainly make you 1 3/4 hours long enough unless there is some unforseen happening...

myself i prefer to have longer so i don't fret about it but maybe that kind of thing doesn't bother you....

what airline has you arriving in the early AM?? i might like to try them??
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 11:29 AM
ccc
Original Poster

Thai from Frankfurt. Not certain if going through Europe or the west coast is fater, but we're going to use Star Alliance miles and it seems the only way we can avoid USAir - which may not be around when we take this trip - (we're in Philadelphia) is to fly Lufthansa to Frankfurt and connect to Thai.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:36 PM

i'm in boston and i think going through europe is about 2 hours longer...so who's countng...

we usually leave boston about noon and arrive in bkk about midnight with northwest through detroit/minneapolis and toyko...two short stops...
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Another BKK airport transit question.
I am flying Bangkok Air from Siam Reap to BKK, connecting to their flight to Samui. Would 1 hour 10minutes be enough time to make the connection? I understand it would be different terminals and I would have to go through immigration on arrival, correct?
Thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Hey Cruisin...If you book both flights thru either a travel agent or the airline, they have to book you with a "legal" connection - which allows plenty of time to make your connections. In your case, the minimum connection for Bangkok Air to Bangkok Air, International to Domestic, is 2 hrs. Can it be done in less? Almost always. If you know what you're doing, if you get through customs quickly, etc. But no gtees. I haven't been to BKK yet (3 more weeks!) but this is how it works. Best of luck and enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:19 PM

its none too much time honestly....if they transport you it will be fine, if you have to walk it gives you no time for bathrooms or for any problem with luggage etc.... i would look for a minimum of 2 hours myself...