Bangkok Airport Terminals

Aug 14th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Bangkok Airport Terminals

I am meeting a friend in Bangkok. Out flights come in about an hour apart and we will be arriving in different international terminals. Is it possible to walk from one of the terminals to the other so I could meet her at the gate? Is this before our after customs? Or is there some easy way we can meet up to then get transportation into Bangkok city? I thought of staying at a hotel airport that night (we get in around 10 - 11 PM -- but the messages on the board don't sound too favorable. Any thoughts??
Aug 14th, 2005, 10:22 AM

there is only one international terminal currently in bkk...it is terminal one...if you both are arriving from outside of thailand then you will be in a secure area until you have been processed through immigration and then clear the customs area....all customs is in one area so that might be a good place to meet....plan to meet by the exit door or by a certain turn-style for the 2nd arrival flight's luggage--you find this by looking at the tv screen in the lower customs area where all the turn-styles are located---there are maybe 10 turn-styles or less....or you could meet in the exit lobby from customs--after you go out of customs, but i do not suggest that as it is very large and there are hundreds of people hanging around in that area at that time of night...

i think you ment to say that you will be arriving on different internation airlines, didn't you??

from the customs area you could arrange for a limo/taxi (i like aac limo located near the exit door to taxis--all the way to the left after exiting customs) or just a regular taxi...depending on where you are going in bkk you could be there in less than 45 minues....

an alternative would be for each of you to take a seperate taxi into town and meet at the hotel...it will cost about 400-600B or maybe less---$10-15 each...
Aug 14th, 2005, 10:24 AM

if you are not flying right out of bkk in the next day then do not stay at the airport's hotels...they are not great...
Aug 14th, 2005, 10:33 AM

I'd just meet at the hotel. There's always the chance a plane will be delayed and waiting in the airport after a very long flight is not a great experience. The cab is not that expensive and meeting at the hotel will be pleasanter and easier on the nerves. I would not stay at the airport hotel unless you are leaving the early the next day.
Aug 14th, 2005, 04:16 PM

Sorry rhkkmk but there are two international terminals, 1 and 2. They are side by side but have their own customs and baggage. It is easy to get from one to another. If you have no baggage you could met at the gate and then go through customs together. But if you have buggage then the best place to meet is the arrivals hall in the appropriate terminal.
Aug 14th, 2005, 06:43 PM

is that so....??? i understood that terminal one was international and terminal two is domestic....if this is wrong then i stand corrected...sorry for any confusion....if this is the case then the hotel is the only place to meet as gloria has suggested.....
Aug 14th, 2005, 06:44 PM

scooters---what is the difference between the two terminals?? just different airlines in different terminals??
Aug 14th, 2005, 06:53 PM

Terminal 1 is used mostly by Thai airways. Other airlines use Terminal 2. Once you're in the secure area, the transition from one terminal to the other is seamless, which is probably why most people don't realise there are two buildings. For the most part, you only need to know which terminal to use for departures. Note that immigration can give you a hassle if you attempt to go through in the 'wrong' terminal.
Aug 15th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Pls clarify this this comment from the last post - "Once you're in the secure area, the transition from one terminal to the other is seamless, which is probably why most people don't realise there are two buildings".

Does this mean I can walk from one terminal to the other and would that be AFTER I cleared customs or before?

If I opt to take a cab once my flight gets in (and before my friend arrives) - is there any safety concerns with taking a cab late at night as a single woman?

Thanks
Aug 15th, 2005, 05:07 AM

absolutely no safety concern. What I would do is book ahead which eliminates the hassle even more. Bob has used a limo service which works well. I generally have the hotel pick me up because it's usually included in my rate. However, I generally meet my traveling companion (another woman) in Bangkok and we always meet at the hotel. We have never had a problem. Bangkok is very safe for single women.
Aug 15th, 2005, 05:20 AM

Correct Pamo: you can walk between the two international terminals once you have cleared immigration and customs and are no longer 'airside'. If you don't fancy the 10 min walk between international terminals, or 20 min walk to Domestic, a free shuttle bus loops the 3 terminals every 15 minutes, but only until 23h00. Signs for the bus are clearly marked. Both international terminals have a 'Meeting Point' symbol, and all 3, if you include Domestic, have left luggage facilities. I've rendezvoued using these before, but with the intention of one or both of us leaving luggage, taking just what was needed for a couple of days in BKK, before heading off somewhere else. If you're an hour ahead, you should have plenty of time to meet your friend at their gate.