Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Airport(Suvarnabhumi) Closed by Protesters

Old Nov 25th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Further to my post on another thread I want to warn any incoming or outgoing travellers of the news.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008...s_30089423.php

There's talk that the airport should be reopen tomorrow evening.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:20 AM

Hanuman,

What's your assessment of the situation? Is it going to get worse? Sounds like it...

I don't normally let things like this affect my outlook, but the situation there seems to be getting a bit more serious with each passing week.

We'll still go unless there is a major international crisis, but I have to admit that I was shocked when I read the news this morning--and I'm used to, at this point, hearing about the situation there.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:35 AM

If it's not one thing it's another. I just hope things are chilled out within the next few weeks. I just hope for a peaceful, restful vacation and Lord knows I need one. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:52 AM

Thanks, Hanuman, I've been reading about this. I'll be intersted in your perspective on it as things continue to develop.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 07:34 AM

i ahve just been talking to a friend in thailand who works at the airport....he says all flights have been diverted....not sure when the airport will be able to re open...roads are closed off....
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

I think things will get worst for the country as there's a stalemate on the political front and the demands being made by both side are unrealistic. There will be more violence for the protesters and since the army is not stepping in and the current government is refusing to dissolve the house of parliament(or hold reelection). The constitution court might be the savior in this situation as they could dissolve the current ruling party but these same people have already set up a new party just in case with a brand new head quarter office. If that happens there should be a period of relative calm until the next election is held and most likely the pro Thanksin people will win again. Thaksin has already stated to the Arab media in Dubai, his new residence, that he intend to return to politics and to lead Thailand again.

The airport was closed by the protesters who believe the current PM will return there from his trip to the APEC summit in Peru. I've "heard" that the PM will land at either Korat or U-Tapoa airport and will return to Bangkok by helicopter. Once that has happened Suvarnabhumi should be reopen.

Will the problem affect or endanger the tourists? I don't think so but there's always a chance of the innocent bystander getting hurt or kill when people are shooting guns and throwing grenades around. Yesterday was the first day that we took precautions only because my daughter's school is near one of the airport. People from both side were blocking off the roads to and from Don Mueang and attacking each other on the highway and toll way!

I would keep checking the news but in all sincerity I think it will be safe for you guys.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Just about to turn the TV off and sleep when the local news stated that the protesters will not leave Suvarnabhumi until the PM resign and the PPP party is dissolve!

I don't think the army and police can let the protesters close the airport for more than 24 hours so I dread to think what will happen next.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Stay safe, Hanuman, both you and your family.

I hope something will give - this has been brewing for two years now.

Didn't Taksin recently get denied a visa to Great Britain?
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 08:43 AM

What a mess! And it's too late to go to Argentina for vacation. I leave for BK in three weeks. Smiles. Thanks for the info Hanuman. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Bob...Flights diverted to where and when they get to that diverted place, how are passengers getting to Bangkok? Happy Travels!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 09:13 AM

only 3 other thai airports have long runways for large jets. i guess other flights to go nearby places like singapore, K/L, etc...or don't take off in the first place......perhaps today they will sort things out a bit...
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM

I'll arrive on the 11th. No need to let a few protesters ruin a good trip.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Let's see. Beth and I were in BKK the last six years. We decide not to go this year and the Thais protest our absence. Perfectly understandable. Next year, we should get the government (wheichever is in place) to pay for our trip to ensure tranquility.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Both UA and NW's NRT-BKK on 11/25 went to HKG. What happens next will depend on the situation at BKK, and how long the airport is closed.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM

I was so sad to hear this news about BKK and Thailand today. We still have such warm and wonderful memories of our time there this summer and the people we met. I just hope that the situation can get resolved soon. My thoughts are with all of you there in the land of smiles!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Beth and I fervently wish that the situation gets resolved quickly. We know how much everyone looks forward to their Thailand trips and hope that things get back on track.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Well written editorial in today's Bangkok Post about the very misdirected actions of the PAD:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstorie....php?id=132297

Have to agree--no matter whose side you're on in the argument. It's a total bonehead move...kind of shooting themselves in the foot to spite themselves. Bad news for all invovled. Hope it's resolved quickly.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM

My friend is stuck in NRT on her way to BKK right now...
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 03:03 PM

What's the possibility of the policy and army getting their orders from 'higher authority' obviously they aren't listing to Somchai.

Old Nov 25th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

There are more than 3 airports capable of handling large aircraft. If needed I believe 6 or 7 airports and airbases can be use but not practical for the civil aviation business.

There has been several grenade attacks at both Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airport since last night. My daughter's school has closed for the day, thank god, but the plight of the travellers stuck in the country is awful!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -