Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Airport-how long to clear Customs and recheck luggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked a flight to Bangkok thinking we would stay a couple of days and now our itinerary is changing and once we land in Bangkok we want to continue on to Chiang Mai right away.

I know we will need to get off, collect our luggage and clear customs and then recheck our luggage.
We land in Bangkok at 9:35am and I see a flight that departs Bangkok for Chiang Mai at 12:30pm that I would like to get.

I read someplace about there being Priority Customs Clearance that is expedited and you have to pay for it. I would gladly do this if it was available.

Anyone have any input for me?
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 12:58 PM

First, are you arriving and departing from the same airport, or do you have to switch airports?

Customs is never (IME) a problem. But passport control can be really backed up.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 01:04 PM

Don't do it......not saying it can't be done.....but why the need for stress?
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 02:12 PM

Three hours is plenty of time to clear customs and immigration as long as:
1. Your flight arrives on time.
2. Your flight to Chiang Mai departs from the same airport.

I have never heard of priority customs clearance but if it does exist, I doubt it would make any difference as it is immigration that take the time.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 02:24 PM
rje

If your flights are refundable, there are non-stop flights from Hong Kong to Chiang Mai on Air Asia or Cathay Pacific. Or you could fly non-stop from another location.

It might be less stressful than your current itinerary (especially if you need to transfer in Bangkok from the international airport to the domestic airport.)
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 11:51 PM

Personally, I wouldn't even attempt that situation with only 3 hours. I have had situations where customs (immigration line) was short and fast, like on this past recent trip. But, two trips ago, it was a nightmare of a line and I arrive into Bangkok on the same day of the same month each year now.

Once, years ago, I was sent through the fast line, but that was because I was in a wheelchair with a major knee problem so when the plane landed, in Bangkok, a wheelchair was sent for me and I was rolled through the quick line.

Happy Travels!
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 02:18 PM

I never like short connections.

the switching of airports would be the major problem in my mind.

what airline are you arriving on, and at which airport? which airline do you wish to do the 2nd leg on and from what airport??

I would find 3 hours a minimum for a change at BKK (bangkok's international airport). I would want a minimum of 1 hour to transfer airports (actual travel time).

flights are very frequent from Bangkok to other thai places.
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 07:07 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Several times I've done what you're planning, in & out. I never bought a ticket in advance, just got on the next flight. Failing changing your flight to Chiang Mai direct, consider buying your onward flight on arrival. I see flights from BKK on Thai from $48 US, same day. No need whatever to book yourself into a corner.
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 07:13 AM

I have done what you are planning but I flew into BKK biz class so go to go through the "premium" immigration lanes... but as others have said this is only possible if arriving and departing from the same airport.
I would allow roughly 1 hour to get through immigration and get luggage etc ( I have had quicker and longer experiences through BKK)
I would say it is doable ( with risk of course)

It also depends if your Airlines have an interline agreement ( for example I have flown in on Eva and because I was flying Singapore air out EVA linked my booking and I didn't have to clear immigration - I was able to go the transit route even though I had bought 2 separate tickets)
Gives us an idea of the Airlines you are looking at and we may be able to help you better.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

We are flying into Bangkok (BKK)on Swissair. Arriving at 9:35am.

I would like to take either the Bangkok Air flight at 12:30pm or the Thai Air at 1:10pm to Chiang Mai. Both depart from BKK

If anyone knows if there is an interline agreement I would really appreciate it. At least both flights are in and out of same airport! Whew!

Really makes me nervous to wait until the day we arrive to buy a ticket. What if the flight is full?
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 12:12 PM

Not reserving a flight in advance was new to me until I began traveling in SE Asia. I found it far better than fretting over missed flights and never had to wait because one was full. Of course you can reserve one of your preferred flights and, if you miss it, buy another ticket and take the next available. I wouldn't, but you could.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 01:02 PM

I agree MmePerdu. Although I have booked flights within S.E. Asia, I have either canceled or changed them more than a few times when I got there and some I have bought the day before flying to another destination.

I've also changed the flight class while there and have never had a problem changing tickets, buying a new ticket at the last minute, or changing from one class to another one and I fly in high season.

It's quite flexible in S.E. Asia. Plus, I've also shown up to airports really early and with a ticket to leave later and at check in have even been asked if I wanted to fly out earlier and have had the ticket changed, on the spot, and put on an earlier departing flight.

Happy Travels!
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 01:12 PM

Just checked on Swiss.com... they have an interline agreement with Bangkok Airways ring them and see if they will check the bags all the way through to CM at your departing airport... that way you will just be a transit passenger and will have bags of time !!
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 01:29 PM

Smeagol, are you sure she won't have to go through formalities at BKK? I doubt she'll stay in transit to go on to CNX. If all goes as scheduled she will indeed have plenty of time. But by buying an onward ticket now she won't have the protection of a single itinerary, and also if she must go through immigration & customs at BKK, she'll still need to pick up the bag and recheck it. If so, she might just as well buy the onward flight on arrival.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 11:37 AM

I have done this myself, I bought a ticket on Eva to BKK and then a seperate ticket BKK to SIN, when I checked in at Heathrow they asked me where my final destination was and I showed them my ticket on Singapore airlines, they then checked me all the way through, so no I didn't have to clear immigration and collect bags, I did have to go to the Sing air transit desk and ask them to call my bag down, however it all depends on the agreement between the airlines and what happens when you check in at the original point of departure. If it were me ( and it isn't) I would call Swiss but then still double check when I check in...
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 01:20 PM

But since the OP's final destination is in Thailand, I believe BKK will be the entry point, hence formalities there. You weren't entering Thailand when you transited to SIN, so formalities there, not BKK. I'm pretty sure about this.