Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok Airport Hotels (Suvanabhumi and BIA) (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-airport-hotels-suvanabhumi-and-bia-646826/)

bluesman78 Sep 15th, 2006 03:47 PM

Bangkok Airport Hotels (Suvanabhumi and BIA)

Does anyone have the inside scoop on hotels that are close to the airport?

I am getting to Bangkok at 5PM and then leaving to Siam Reap the next day at 8 AM and want to stay close to the new airport Suvanabhumi).

Thanks!

Any other suggestions? I don't have any guidebooks which show where the new airport will be. How far from the old airport? Is there any fun stuff to do around the airport?

JamesA Sep 15th, 2006 04:55 PM

There are many posts on this, if you use the Fodros search it will bring up topics.

If you are arriving at 5pm and flight out is 8am I honestly would just to downtown to whichever is your favoured hotel in Bangkok. You can save a 'bit' of time staying perhaps closer to an expressway but with that time gap I would just go to whichever hotel you want !

There is a Novotel 'at' the Airport and a couple of hotels about 20-25 mins from the airport but you are realy just as well off to head to a nice hotel, head out for a meal/shopping and the hotel concierge will tell you what time to have your cab ready for the airport in the morning, easy, relax and don't worry about it.
http://www.beachsiam.com/bangkok_airport.html puts that simply. The new airport is to the east, it is very difficult to realisticaly judge travel time until it opens but I think just enjoy Bangkok for the night!

SueHuml Sep 15th, 2006 05:15 PM

JamesA
Many of us are relying on you for the "easy to get to" hotels for those of us coming in at midnight and leaving for other places about 1 or 2PM the following day. We are looking for you to do a dry run after the opening. I think TexasSlim and, maybe JamesA all of you will, I know come up with some good alternatives to staying at the only nearby hotel - Novotel.

The new rates for going into BKK are really adding onto any downtown hotel one might select for a few hours sleep. Of course, so far we have only learned of Limo fares, I'm thinking, Taxis, with meters should not be too much more than they are now. Do you all agree? Time will tell, and, I'll be watching what the findings are.
Sue

bluesman78 Sep 15th, 2006 05:49 PM

Thank you. My girlfriend would like to stay at the airport because she feels that it might take 1 hour to get to and fro the airport. For an 8 AM flight we would probably want to be at the airport at 6AM. I see there is a new hotel near the new airport, but the price is quite steep 7000 THB.

I will do a search but apprecite other su ggestions

rhkkmk Sep 15th, 2006 06:00 PM

novotel is the airport hotel for now

rhkkmk Sep 15th, 2006 06:03 PM

sue-- for a midnight arrival and a 2PM departure james' advice above is perfect....go to a bkk hotel, like the jw marriott, majestic grande or some with easy tollroad access and you will get a great nites' sleep, a fantastic breakfast and then get to the airport leisurely the next day... new hotels will spring up but it will take time i am sure...

JamesA Sep 15th, 2006 07:48 PM

The Novotel is at the airport itself, it's an airport hotel, the Novotel Bangna and the Princess Srinikarin and about 25-30 minutes away, princess is next to a large mall so if you chose you can do some shopping a get a bite to eat, that runs in the B 2,500-3,500 range roughly. When such a large development such as the new airport opens it is anyone's guess really how busy the traffic might be but the general 'feel' is that for say 10-15 minutes more you can be closer, e.g hotels that are just off the expressway would be reached quicker than somewhere far from an expressway.

From Novotel themselves is 5,000 plus 17% tax and service excluding breakfast, if you are on a 8 am then it's not worth paying another B 450 ( probably plus 17% ) each for breakfast, grab something at the airport if needed. Compared actualy to the current airport hotel with direct access the new airport Novotel isn't so bad.

A lot more will come out once opened to see how busy the streets are to get a realistic journey time.
If yuo arrive on a long haul then I would go the extra bucks and stay at the Novotel, take into account taxi fare to/from another hotel(!) to get a realistic cost.
But if you are arriving on a shorter flight so not 'too tired' then head to a hotel downtown.

bluesman78 Sep 15th, 2006 10:51 PM

Yeah we'll be coming on Thai Airways from NYC, so it might be worth the extra dough to get a good nights sleep. It sounds like if you are going to the new airport in the near future, you don't have many choices when it come sto new hotels. You'd think that new hotel would spring up as the airport has taken years to construct.