Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bangkok Air - Lao Aviation (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-air-lao-aviation-492556/)

Clifton Dec 27th, 2004 09:47 PM

Bangkok Air - Lao Aviation

I was wondering if anyone knew how up to date Bangkok Air keeps it's website? I'm still in the very early stages of planning a possible SE Asia trip and was looking at the Discovery Pass promo on Bangkok Air's website. They mention a partnership with Lao Airlines.

Essentially, I'm just trying to figure out if one or the other could get us from Luang Prabang or even Vientiane to Siem Reap without going through Bangkok (and using up two coupons). Their route map shows a link, but the booking pulldowns don't.

Thoughts?

rhkkmk Dec 28th, 2004 06:30 AM

i thought the discovery pass had ended but i may be wrong...others here will know for certain....they have 800#'s maybe you could call them....they are fast to answer e-mails as well...maybe not now with the evacuation problems however

Clifton Dec 28th, 2004 03:44 PM

That probably would be best. I'll give them a try when we've decided for sure that we'll be heading that way and after all the load I'm sure they're under right now. Thanks for the advice!

Tisler Dec 29th, 2004 11:33 AM

The Discovery Pass is still active and must be booked through Bangkok Air offices. My husband and I are traveling to Asia next week and using the pass on segments to Luang Prubang, Laos and Siem Reap, Cambodia. Three legs at $80 per leg is far more affordable than the r/t ticket prices for these places. All of our flights are on Bangkok Air planes to the best of my knowledge. We are taking a non-stop BKK to Luang Prubang on Bangkok Air and the return flight to BKK is on Thai Airway via Chiang Mai. The Siem reap flights are ex-BKK.

To answer your question, Luang Prubang to Siem reap can be done but I believe it is on Lao Aviation and would probably connect in Vientiane.

Safe travels.

Clifton Dec 29th, 2004 06:44 PM

Perfect. Thanks Tisler, that's what I was looking for. Have a great trip.

SuY Jan 29th, 2005 05:33 AM

Clifton,

Did you manage to figure out how to get from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang? I am trying to figure out how to get from BKK - Siem Reap - Luang Prabang -BKK and it appears that it will take 4 and not 3 vouchers.

Scotters Jan 29th, 2005 09:52 AM

SuY
There are two ways you can do this using the pass and the Siem Reap/Luang Prabang can be done in one day. Bangkok Air to Siem Reap, Lao Air (wed-fri-sun) to Vientiane and then to Luang Prabang, Bangkok air back to Bangkok. This would require 3 $80 and 1 $50 coupons. The other would be all on Bangkok Air, Bangkok/Siem Reap/Bangkok and Bangkok/Luang Prabang/Bangkok. This would use 4 $80 coupons. Hope this helps

Clifton Jan 29th, 2005 11:31 AM

SuY,

We're still in the early phases and I haven't called yet. We likely won't go until the 05/06 winter, so we still have research to do and decisions to make. As of the last discussion, we may end up focusing more on Cambodia and seeing a few more places there, saving Laos for another time.

I'd just seen a route map on Bangkok Air's website that showed a direct arrow from Siem Reap to or from Luang Prabang. Just as likely the map is wrong or outdated, as the booking pulldowns don't show the same. It sounds like Scotters knows best, and I'd defer to their knowledge. Sounds like you either connect through Bangkok or Vientiene to me.