Search

Bangkok: Adelphi car, airport limo or taxi

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok: Adelphi car, airport limo or taxi

Hi Everyone.

I was lucky enough to get amazing advice on a hoter/apartment in Bangkok and we booked Adelphi suites - thanks Fodorites!

I'm arriving from Canada around 11PM and meeting up with my brothers coming from the Philippines, should we take the car service offered by the hotel BHT1600 for a van or BHT 1200 for a car or book a car service (can you please suggest names).

Thanks so much.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Do you all need to be in the same vehicle? If not, taxis will be cheapest.

The Adelphi rates look similar to those of various car services. I've used AAC Limo for years with good results.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kathie (from Seattle?) I have JS jewellers in my list of places to visit. Thanks for the advice it's good to know Adelphi's rates are reasonable there at least 2 of us if not 3 so more likely we will have the van.

This is off topic but could you suggest good authentic Thai restaurant moderetly price (under $50/person) this is our first time in Bangkok but enjoy Thai food.

Thanks so much.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 06:11 PM

lol, yes, I'm the infamous Kathie from Seattle you need to reference to get the best prices from SJ.

Let me recommend a couple of Thai places I really like that are more upscale but certainly under $50 pp.

Lana Thai at Face is excellent. www.facebars.com click on Bangkok.

Ruen Mallika www.ruenmallika.com/?lang=en is another lovely place.

Both are situated in old Thai teak houses.

Nearby Adelphi Suites in Kinnarree, maybe half a block away. I've only eaten there once, but it was good.

If you like your food spicy, say so, as restaurants are accustomed to foreign visitors complaining that everything is too spicy.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 06:58 PM

kineree for sure and a 2 minute walk... lovely house in a garden with both inside and outside dining... probably $50 for the 3 of you.. without drinks other than water/soda.

face is very good too but you need a taxi to soi 39, i think..

i also like harmonique off of new road--very good, very cheap. taxi required too.

if it your first time in bkk, i would use the hotel van--3 is tight in a car with luggage... make sure you understand where exactly they will meet you.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 04:12 AM

I stay at Adelphi, and I always take a taxi from the airport... but it's just ME (or maybe husband with me sometimes). If I were part of a group, I would want a larger vehicle. 1800 baht is a pretty heavy price to pay for the hotel's van. I would think there are cheaper options than that.

Kinnaree Thai restaurant, just down from the Adelpi, is really nice. The setting is a Thai 'house' and you can dine inside or outside.

The restaurant (Monsoon) in the lobby of Adelphi has a variety menu. They are really pretty good. I think they will have some Thai dishes on the menu. The kitchen staff are all Thai, so the taste should be very authentic.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 05:39 AM

To get to Face, take the Skytrain. From the Adelphi, it will be so fast.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 06:39 AM

to take the skytrain from adelphi to face requires a fair amount of walking--be warned.

while 1600 is expensive for the transport, this is a van and i think 2000 would be more the norm, so this seems fair to me.

remember these folks are new to bkk and will certainly appreciate the service on their first arrival, which can be confusing
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 06:44 AM

Bob, as I remember, the walk from the Aldephi to the Skytrain is quite short. The walk from the Skytrain to Face is a bit longer, but not more than 5-10 minutes max.

I agree with you about the van price being reasonable, Bob. Certainly the car service at the airport would charge in the 2000-3000 baht range. AAC would be a similar price to the Adelphi.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 08:09 AM

The walk to the skytrain is very short... less than 2-3 minutes. It's the walk down the soi where Face is that takes more time.

If the OP is certain it is a VAN that the hotel is sending, that's fine. I'm quite certain that the hotel does NOT have its own vehicle. They will hire someone to go to the airport for the pick-up. The OP needs to specify a VAN pickup and not just a 'vehicle' which could be something quite a bit smaller.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Its sooooooo easy to just go to the taxi stand in the airport and a lot cheaper too! Just make sure that you wait in the line and pay the person behind the desk. They will hand your receipt and information to the driver. Easyyyyyyy
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Best to just take a taxi about 500p baht to bangkok center. limos very expensive. Taxis are very easy to get at the airport and usually no line up i have traveled in and out of the Bangkok airport hundreds of times always take the taxi. Even from your hotel it is only 500 baht. It takes about 40 minutes depending on the traffic which in Bangkok can be pretty bad at most times
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions just love the exchange!

A friend of mine told me that the BKK airport was huge, I'm arriving from Canada on ANA via Tokyo and my two companions are coming from the Philippines via Philippine airlines, do you know if they are in the same terminal? what's an easy meeting spot so we won't get lost?
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 06:19 PM

You can probably do a google search for a map of BKK airport (yes, it is huge). Who is arriving there first? See if you (or they) can head in the direction of the area where the later of the two flights would be arriving.

I was going to meet a friend in this same sort of situation, me arriving from Tokyo on United, and my friend, arriving about 20 minutes later, on Cathay from Hong Kong. Friend ended up being delayed 24 hours so we did not meet up as was planned; but I did check a map and I did know where Cathay flights would be arriving. I'm quite sure you will all be arriving in the international terminal, so that should help.

Oh, you pay the taxi driver when you get to the Adelphi. You do not pay at the taxi desk. You stop at the desk and the person there will write your destination (in Thai) on a piece of paper for the driver. Adelphi is on Sukhumvit soi 8. It is on the righthand side of the soi, just past the 7-11. You will see the Monsoon restaurant out front, and Via Vai/White Bar is right across the street (best pizza in BKK).
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 07:29 PM

there is only one terminal at bkk.. there are several exit doors from customs.. why not all meet where the limo will pick you up??

the problem with a taxi and 3 people is space... little luggage room and taxi is probably a toyota corolla..

you judge the walk to and from the skytrain--i will taxi and arrive cool and comfortable!!
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. If all 3 of us arrive at about the same time we will probably take the van, at 11PM and after a long flight it's just so much easier.

Do you know if the restaurants open that late on a Saturday anywhere near Adelphi, I'm hoping my first meal isn't room service
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 06:14 AM

most restaurants close about 9, but i am sure something will be open...maybe via vi across the street... simpsonc can give us the best info on this
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 11:21 AM

Monsoon is open later. It is a bar/restaurant, so they serve probably to 1am. I've not eaten there that late, but I'm sure you can do it. Also, Via Vai/White Bar stays open late. It is directly across the soi from the Adelphi. Room service should not be necessary!
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, just waiting for Tong to answer us on our tour and we are off to BKK, September can't come soon enough!