Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bali - Single female -to go or not to go/ (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bali-single-female-to-go-or-not-to-go-580773/)

germanblonde Jan 11th, 2006 11:57 AM

Bali - Single female -to go or not to go/

I will be visiting a freind in Singapore next month. I will be able to spend a few days travelling to a place near Singapore and I am thinking of going to Bali. How is the tourist industry in Bali since the tsunami? Is it safe for a solo female to travel there, or should i choose another destination? Any tips fodorites can provide would be appreciated.

Kathie Jan 11th, 2006 01:17 PM

The tsunami had no effect on Bali.

The only concerns one might have for going to Bali has to do with the two terrorist bombings in the last several years. Only you can decide if you are comfortable with that. Read up on the issues so you can make an informed decision.

Being a solo female really isn't an issue for safety in Bali. Exercise reasonable cautions.

rhkkmk Jan 11th, 2006 02:00 PM

kathie is spot on as usual...GO

KMLoke Jan 11th, 2006 02:13 PM

Be careful of the beach boys who target solo females.

KimJapan Jan 11th, 2006 02:47 PM

Agree.
Tsunami had no effect at all. We were in Bali at the time of the tsunami and only learned of it because my parents phoned us in a panic.

Single woman...no problem. But do be aware that men, not only Balinese, will try to pick you up. If you are interested, fine. If you are not, say so clearly. Don't say things like next time, or maybe later...because that means you are interested for next time later and they will come back to you next time later. Same strategy applies to anyone trying to sell you something...if you are interested, say so...if you aren't interested, say so clearly. I always tell sellers that I'm not going to buy anything from exactly that..."I will not buy anything." They'll tell you looking is free, and maybe next time...I just repeat I won't buy..then move on to a chat. Met lots of nice people that way...once the selling is out of the way, you can actually talk about other things, which is very enjoyable.

Tourism is way down in Bali now due to the bombing in October and the threats of kidnappings of foreigners in Indonesia. While I do think that anyone's chance of being bombed or kidnapped is small, very small, you should really consider if you are willing to take the risk.

I love Bali...it remains one of our family's favorite destinations...but we ended up cancelling our trip there this Dec/Jan because our families were so worried about us on top of being worried about their own health problems..we figured we shouldn't add to their already huge worries and changed our plans to Thailand instead. While we enjoyed Thailand, it was not Bali. Bali is special.

If you do decide to go, I would strongly recommend getting out of the southern part of the island and heading to Ubud and the surrounding villages. You might also consider the Amed area for an off the beaten path beach destination that is also rich in cultural offerings.

There are places to stay for every budget and every style. I'd recommend against the big hotels in favor of small, family run places with fewer than 20 rooms...you can get to know people in that sort of place in ways that just aren't possible in big hotels. Food is great, especially fruit. People are wonderful...you will be welcomed, I'm sure.

Guenmai Jan 11th, 2006 07:09 PM

I went alone in Dec 1998 and had no problem. My best friend has been going alone for years and has had no problems. As in any place....dress respectfully, be on good behavior, and don't do obviously unsafe things. I've been traveling around the world, annually, and alone, since I was 17...for 30+ years. I prefer traveling alone. Happy Travels!

marmot Jan 12th, 2006 12:25 AM

Tourism in Bali is very depressed right now. They will be happy to see you!

I've known many women who have traveled alone to Bali. I'd consider it safe (using common sense of course).

The quandary seems to be that if you go inland to the Ubud area where the culture is it can get pretty lonely as the resorts are not set up for singles social activities. If you stay in the South/Beach area where the lively restaurants and nightlife are you may not meet the kind of people you want to meet.:)

Bali is a profoundly beautiful, culturally rich and spiritually dynamic place. There is PLENTY to do and see. Accomodations in a wide range of prices. Let us know what you like to do and your budget and we'll give some recommendations.

alana26 Jan 12th, 2006 12:55 AM

I've been to Bali 3 times.

- Tsunami had no affect
- Terrorism is an issue, but it's really the luck of the draw (as bad as that sounds)
- Single female - no problem.

http://uniqueplaces.blogspot.com

germanblonde Jan 12th, 2006 08:58 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I am convinced that I should go. I would be looking for a place to stay for approx USD50 a night, I would like private washroom faclities also the accomodation has to be clean and conviently located. I would like to stay somewhere where I can meet people my age, I am in my mid 30s.

Guenmai Jan 12th, 2006 09:46 AM

I stayed in Ubud, but not at a resort, but right on the main road and didn't feel lonely at all. I could just walk around town. But, I understand how a solo traveler could feel very isolated at a resort which is why I don't go to them. One of the places I stayed at was called," Prada" in Ubud which was new at the time and I liked it. I paid US$50. a night...tax,breakfast included. No pool. Happy Travels!

BillT Jan 12th, 2006 10:55 AM

Why not consider KL in Malaysia- its right next door!

marmot Jan 12th, 2006 10:48 PM

In Ubud I'd recommend Komaneka.
http://www.komaneka.com/Resort/English/about.html
It's right in the middle of town so it's convenient to everything. It's well designed and in a peaceful and beautiful setting. Very friendly people who are well connected to the arts scene in Bali.

On the beach I'd recommend the Sofitel.
http://www.accorhotels.com/accorhote...he_hotel.shtml

It's located in middle of Seminyak, Bali's best beach and shopping area. Within walking distance to many restaurants and clubs. A good swimming beach, lovely grounds and two pools. A favorite with Europeans.

Between the two you could average out your costs. Negotiate: Bali is very, very quiet right now.