Bali modest attire (Katie, Glorialf...)

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bali modest attire (Katie, Glorialf...)

I promised my mother I would be very cautious on this particular trip (leaving for Bali tonight) - Kathie, Gloria,et al, how necessary do you think it is to mirror the muslim woman's modest dress? I have a scarf, a long sleeve shirt & a mid shin length skirt that my mother insists I wear trousers under. I figured this would be appropriate for temples/other major religious sites, but what about around Bali in general? I would normally wear shorter skirts, shorts/tank tops, but especially now, I want to be as respectful as possible... What do the women Bali travellers advise?
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Sorry, but does your mother know that Bali is a Hindu island? Balinese women mostly dress modestly, but do not cover their heads. You are correct that modest dress such as covered knees is necessary when visiting temples, but in most other areas of Bali, shorts etc. would not look out of place. Most temples will rent a sarong for you to use to cover-up.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 09:05 AM

cruisin is right, Bali is Hindu and no head covering is necessary. I do wear long light pants or a long skirt or dress when out touring on Bali. Shorts are fine, of course, around your hotel. I would suggest a rather modest bathing suit. You will see visitors in very skimpy bathing suits, but you can also see the reactions of many of the locals. The outfit you describe is very appropriate, no trousers needed beneath your skirt.
Also note that many of the dance performances are recountings of Hindu stories, and so are considered religious. Wear appropriately modest dress for these. No tank tops, make sure your shoulders are covered.

I've traveled many times through the Muslim parts of Indonesia and Malaysia. Visitors are not expected to cover their heads except in Mosques.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:03 AM

Bali is Hindu. Not Moslem. However it is a devout country so I would dress modestly away from your hotel. That doesn't mean you need to be covered but I would not wear low cut tops, slacks or capri pants, nothing overly tight and short sleeve rather than sleeveless if you are visiting temples.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! I'm a bit nervous about coming to Bali - but have been planning this Indonesia visit for so long canceling isn't an option. Kathie, FYI - we decide to skip SR/BKK/VN to concentrate on Indo: Bali, Sulawesi & Papua, Joyga & maybe Lombok? Even now 6 weeks doesn't seem long enough... Thanks to everyone who responed to my earlier posts!
~Happy (and safe) travels to everyone~
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 03:03 PM

Have a great trip - I love Indonesia! If you do decide to go to Lombok, we stayed at a great place that we loved: Qunci Villas. Just 20 rooms, on a lovely beach, great service, wonderful atmosphere. We paid US$70 a night including airport transfers and breakfast.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:36 PM

I am probably too late to help with this because of time differences between Australia and the USA but women and men must wear modest clothing to temples.A sarong and sash are required and long sleeves are recommended .Tank tops , shorts , mini skirts etc are frowned upon .So pack one if you have it and a long scarf that can double as the sash .You can hire them at the major temples at Besakih etc .
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 09:33 AM

Many tourists dress in shocking attire in Bali: shorts, skimpy and bare tops, etc. It's deeply offensive to the modest Balinese.

You will be properly dressed if you wear some variation of mid-calf skirt or loose slacks/longer capris with a sleeved shirt or blouse. Sleeves should be at least to the elbow.

When it's REALLY hot I wear a sleeveless crew-neck CoolMax (or other wicking fabric) shell with a longsleeved shirt tied around my shoulders to cover my upper arms. I keep the shirt on but unbuttoned unless I'm expiring from the heat.