First time Traveller to South East Asia

Old Aug 17th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time Traveller to South East Asia

I have little experience of South East Asia and would really love some form of itinerary from experienced travellers like yourselves. I would like to visit Thailand (more Northern areas), Cambodia and Vietnam, maybe Nepal I have approximately 2 months. Where is the best place to start. I'm looking for cultural experiences, temples and beautiful coastlines as well as Interesting food. Any advice on a start, a middle and an end would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 07:13 AM

This year, my husband and I spent several weeks in Thailand (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Chiang Sean, Koh Phangan) and Cambodia (Siem Reap). We loved both countries. We have lots of details on our travel blog: how we got around, hotels, attractions, etc. Feel free to contact me with specific questions.
http://latitudeb.com/golden-triangle-thailand/
http://latitudeb.com/chiang-mai-thailand/
http://latitudeb.com/bangkok/
http://latitudeb.com/cambodia/
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 07:29 AM

No one can plan your itinerary for you. It really depends on your interests.

For instance, you mention Nepal. Are you interested in trekking, or are you mostly interested in the world heritage sites in the Kathmandu Valley? If the latter, you can cover those sites in a little more than a week, if the former, you may need a month there.

In Cambodia, are you mostly interested in the temples of Angkor, or do you want to cover more of the country? You can visit the temples and the surrounding areas in a week or less, but you could spend a month in Cambodia.

You don't mention Laos, but Laos makes more sense than Nepal with the other countries you mention, especially if you are traveling on a budget.

I'd suggest you go to the library and check out a guidebook for each country you are considering. That will give you a lot more information on which to make your decisions.

Bangkok is usually the least expensive entry point to SE Asia, and it has great air connection to all of the parts of SE Asia.

You might find photos to be of help: www.marlandc.com

There are links to my trip reports for many of these destinations.

Happy Planning!
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 08:01 AM

Hi everyone,

Like Caoife, this will be our 1st trip in Southeast Asia and we also have 2 months. Bangkok will be our entry point. This is what I have planned starting mid-February:
-Bangkok 3 days
-island (not decided yet) 7 days
- back to the north (Chiang Mai) 5 days
- leave Thailand and go to Siem Reap (Angkor) - train? Plane?
-Siem Reap 5 days
- leave Cambodge fot Vietnam - boat? Plane?
- Vietnam from South (Saigon) to North (Sapa) 21 days
- leave Vietnam for Laos - plane or ?
- Luang Prabang 5 days
- back to Bangkok 3 days

As you can see I don't know what is the best way to travel from one country to the other. Any suggestion on this itinerary and moderately priced accomodation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Musvin
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 08:20 AM

musvin, you might want to start your own thread to ask about your plans. There is no train to Siem Reap. You could fly from Chiang Mai to Bangkok to Siem Reap. Air Asia now flies the route from Bangkok to Siem Reap.

From Siem Reap, you can take a bus to HCMC - it takes all day or all night. Of course, there are flights as well.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 08:34 AM

Thank you Kathie
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From Siem Reap I would take the bus to Phnom Penh and spend at least two nights there. Then I'd look into taking a boat to Vietnam.