Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   BALi In mid March (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bali-in-mid-march-676513/)

warias Feb 4th, 2007 04:41 AM

BALi In mid March

PLEASE be honest and tell me how's the weather in mid march in BALI. I've come across a GREAT vacation package from now 'till March 31, 2007. I'm from NY and its cold here i would love some sun and beach weather

Kathie Feb 4th, 2007 10:28 AM

www.weatherbase.com gives complete historical weather info for anyplace in the world.

warias Feb 4th, 2007 02:08 PM

Thanks for the help Kathie. The weather looks pleasant enough. Would you know folowwing hotels

Melia Bali
Nikko

Kathie Feb 4th, 2007 03:53 PM

Sorry, I don't know either of those. Do you know where they are located?

KimJapan Feb 4th, 2007 03:59 PM

They are both in Nusa Dua. Both are very popular with package tours. I wouldn't stay in Nusa Dua myself...an enclave of hotels and shops built especially for tourists. I have a friend who stayed at the Melia Bali on their all inclusive plan and liked it well enough, but said that next time she'd stay away from Nusa Dua.

jenskar Feb 4th, 2007 06:55 PM

Warias -- we were just in Bali in January. That is normally the rainy season. Had been told that meant very humid (which it was) but ... we did not get much rain. A few quick showers two nights, one afternoon where it rained torrentially for about 1/2 hour. We had sun for most of our days.

I wouldn't go all the way to Bali to stay in Nusa Dua -- although if you get a driver for a few days you could see more of the island. Seminyak seemed the best for beach strolls, dining and shopping, but the sea looked pretty rough for swimming.

Hope that helps.

Kathie Feb 4th, 2007 07:02 PM

If the only hotel options in the package you are considering are in Nusa Dua, I'd reconsider the package. You can put together air and hotels yourself and give yourself a much better trip.

jenskar Feb 4th, 2007 07:14 PM

I agree with Kathie. I just checked my favorite airline out of NY for you. Singapore Air flies out of JFK (the flights out of Newark are more direct BUT all seats are executive economy so alot more money). It's not as low as when we went -- so you might be able to do better on fares with someone else. You really don't want to go for just five days. You lose a day and a half going (Sing Air leaves at night, but with the time changes if you leave on say the 10th, you arrive the 12th) It takes 18 - 20+ hours to fly back.

Tell us more what you like and we can recommend hotels better. For clothes - you'll want light cottons. Bali is very casual, if you go sight seeing and want to go into a temple, they'll rent you a sarong, or you can just toss one and a sash in your bag.

warias Feb 5th, 2007 03:35 PM

To all:
Thanks for takin the time. i do appreciate it. I want to relax but i also want to be able to walk around and see shops without having to tarvel too far. I was told seminyak would a great place for early thirties ladies.

I'm really in a jam here :-(. My best friend is sold already. We do have a budget issue. The current quote is $1,300 with air (singapore), transfer from & to airportl and 5 nights hotel. We were considering Nikko Bali.

I already contacted a Taxi to hire for one day. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, you can continue to give me ideas of what to do in near by areas. What's in Ubud? everything keeps mentioning that area.

warias Feb 5th, 2007 03:43 PM

guys:
any suggestions on hotels in Sanur or Seminyak area??

It looks like i need more research. I was so happy for my cheap finding... :-(

FYI: Me and my best friend are travelling from
New york City. We decided to leave Mar 14, 2007.
The only thing that's final so far.

Kathie Feb 5th, 2007 04:34 PM

In Sanur, consider the Bali Hyatt. It's low rise (nothing taller than a palm tree) and it's situated in an award-winning garden. Sanur itself is a pleasant little town. The Hyatt can be had for a very good price. Check the Hyatt website as well as discount sites.

Ubud is the cultural and artistic center of Bali. You can easily arrange for a car and driver once you are there. It's typically cheaper than pre-arranging through an agency. Transfers to your hotel are very cheap, so it's really not an issue of whether it's in your package or not.

And do make sure you add some extra nights. A mere 5 nights and you'll barely recover from the jetlag! Personally, I've been to places in Asia for a week on the ground, but 10 days would be better.

jenskar Feb 17th, 2007 08:21 AM

warias
I feel horrid everyone keeps telling you to add extra nights (myself included) -- sometimes you just can't stay somewhere as long as you like (like most of the time for me !!) I always find the jetlag to Asia less problematic than coming back, so just make sure you stay up your first day on the ground and you'll be so adrenalized you'll be fine.

You can visit Ubud (and other parts of Bali with a driver) by day -- with 5 days you won't want to change hotels I don't think. I bet if you booked Dean he'd take you to Ubud and around and even wait while you say, saw the dances at the Palace in Ubud one night or ate dinner so you could experience the town at night, then take you back late. He lives near Ubud so if you're doing something for a few hours he can just go home and then come back later to get you.

Early 30's ladies I would head over to Ku de Tah in Seminyak one night (again, taxis are pretty cheap for just that). Check out their web site -- I think you'll love it. Not Bali cheap but compared to a night out in NY a bargain.