Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bali Hyatts - help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bali-hyatts-help-551426/)

cgrun Aug 13th, 2005 04:26 AM

Bali Hyatts - help!

What is the difference between the Bali Hyatt and the Grand Hyatt. We booked with the Bali Hyatt, not realizing there are 2 and I got worried we had made a mistake.

rhkkmk Aug 13th, 2005 07:12 AM

c----i stayed at the bali hyatt a year and 1/2 ago....lets see if i can give you the differences....the BH is older, about 20 years old i think...the GH is about 5 years old...the BH is large but the GH is HUGE...BH is in the wonderful town of sanur which we really found to be a plus....the GH is set in nusa dua which many claim is too issolated and artificial---only for tourists and no bali feeling....i think the BH is 4* and the GH 5*.....

the rooms were a bit dark at the BH but that is becasue they are somewhat old...they were very comfortable and well kept after...the bath we had was old style but very serviceable...we would choose the BH for a future trip mainly for its location...we loved that small town and being able to go out to the many restaurants...

the grounds of the BH are very mature and beautiful...there is a very nice beach front also but we never used it...everything you would want is available at the BH....it is cheaper as well...

think about hiring a driver while you are there...we had putu who is often mentioned on this board...he made all the difference in our bali experience...he is young and lots of fun...he had a very nice suv....he is also very reasonable...about $40 for a very long day...

you have not made a mistake...if you think you have why not divide your time between the two??

kerikeri Aug 13th, 2005 10:22 AM

that's what we did (divide our time) bali hyatt first- gorgeous grounds, breezy beachfront restaurant, good access to town and then, when we were "all finished" grand hyatt bali in nusa dua.
very isolated. coud be anywhere- found ourselves "escaping" outside the gates of the whole resort complex at night for a real experience...BUT...it was an unforgettable resort.

Kathie Aug 13th, 2005 12:15 PM

I've stayed at the Bali Hyatt severl times, always in the Regency Club (which I think is well worth the extra $). Staying in the Regency Club also mitigates the sense of being in a large resort. As mentioned previously, the Bali Hyatt is locted in Sanur, with mature award-winning gardens and lovely pools on a nice beach. The Grand Hyatt I've visited but not stayed there... and I wouldn't. Nusa Dua is really sterile.

rhkkmk Aug 13th, 2005 12:28 PM

a very good italian restaurant in sanur is called The Village....excellent... on the opposite side of the street from the hyatt and down to the right less than 1/2 mile as i remember...excellent and very reasonable...cabs are very cheap there also...

get yourselves a driver to get around the island...much better than any tour groups...