Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bali Hotel Suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bali-hotel-suggestions-421672/)

cwood1 Apr 12th, 2004 05:56 PM

Bali Hotel Suggestions

Hello! I am going to Bali and I have three hotels in mind: The Oberoi, The Legian, and the Nusa Dua Beach Hotel.

Has anyone stayed at these places - and if so - what did you think/like about them.

Any other suggestions in the $200 Range.

Thanks for your help : - )

enypintukayu Apr 16th, 2004 07:22 AM

I liked the Oberoi , but don't forget to check hotel in Ubud.Ubud is the real Bali go to Amandari for coffee , Warung Murni for lunch . Museum are plenty and transport are all over Ubud.There is no beach at Ubud ,but the dances performances are daily aand the people are very friendly in Ubud.
Have Fun

996tt Apr 16th, 2004 08:00 PM

Your best bet in the $200 range is Grand Hyatt Bali. Those three you mentioned just don't compare

Carrabella Apr 16th, 2004 08:34 PM

Check out the locations of each too - where do you want to be? Nusa Dua is an "enclave" more or less sanitised for tourists, so you don't get swamped with touts if you go out. It's several miles from the hub and jostle of Kuta. The Oberoi is way out on the other side of Legian and Kuta.I think Nusa Dua Beach is nicer.
I think a night or two in Ubud is a great idea, though you can easily go on a daytrip.
I had my bag snatched in Legian, and lost digital camera with all European photos, on the way back to Oz. I KNEW to watch out for motor-bike thieves, but just forgot this one time. Just a timely warning. It won't, of course, happen inside the resorts, but you won't see the real Bali if you don't venture out.

Tere Apr 18th, 2004 10:46 PM

I stayed a week at the Nusa Dua Beach Hotel and Spa two years ago and loved it. You can see some pictures of the hotel in my Bali page in www.virtualtourist.com/m/456e4/654/ as well as many Bali tips.

ronmudge Apr 19th, 2004 04:10 AM

We stayed at the Legian (and the Ritz Carlton and the Serai in Manggis (now the Alila)...The Legian was very good - huge rooms,well designed,superb food,and good pool/beach...We'd recommend it very highly...and the one in Manggis,if you want something more remote/better value...

Biggy Apr 20th, 2004 04:42 AM

I always stay at the Intan Bali Hotel. It's a little bit away from Kuta (the city) but they have a free open-air bus that takes you to and from the hotel.

The name of the area is the Batubelig Beach. They have a nice chalets, like your own villa and it's cheaper than most hotels.

The price range are around USD40 - USD90. Sometimes, the rooms include spa, massages, and etc...

It's really great cos you save a lot too. It all depends to what you want.

Without doubts, Nusa Dua have the best hotels but it's just a bit far from Kuta.

marmot May 5th, 2004 01:10 AM

I think the Legian is a great hotel: well designed, good food, beautiful pool, excellent service. The beach is great for walking, but a little on the rough side for swimming. (We do swim, but I'd hesitate to recommend it for children.) Some of Bali's best restaurants are within a few minutes walk. The Legian is a fun place with a lively clientele.

The Oberoi is right next door. It has a great reputation for service, but personally I think it's a bit tired.

I'm not fond of Nusa Dua -- too isolated and when the tide goes out it's no good for swimming either. All of South Bali is touristy, but somehow Nusa Dua seems moreso. Well, I guess it's good that so many people can argue over the BEST hotel. It shows that Bali really does offer a lot of choice.

It sounds like you're thinking beach. If you're interested in the Ubud area I'd go with the Alila.

newtourist May 11th, 2004 04:30 AM

I just spend 6 nights from April 27, 2004 to May 3, 2004 in Conrad Bali Resort with my wife and 2 kids. We loved the place. They just opened in March 2004. Really an excellent hotel. Can send you some photos of the hotel I took. They have a special promo rate of US$95 taxes included per room but without breakfast. They have other promo rates included breakfast. Just email me at [email protected] if you want the photos.

welltraveledbrit May 11th, 2004 08:10 AM

In Ubud I'd recommend Ibah...it's about as far as you can get from a chain hotel. Utterly charming, luxurious and intimate...highly recommended and give the tourism situation it may now be less than $200.