Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bali Honeymoon Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bali-honeymoon-help-603420/)

DoctorId Mar 29th, 2006 08:33 AM

Bali Honeymoon Help

My fiance and I are going to Bali in August. I have been once before, but stayed in budget places as I was scuba diving and on my own.

We will spend 3 nights in the south, go on a dive cruise to Komodo for a week, and then spend another 7 nights in Ubud.

My questions:

For the beach part, I've narrowed down to the Santika Beach Hotel in Tuban, or the Legian. Any opinions? Other suggestions?

For the Ubud part, I've been all over the map. The Maya Ubud is a possibility, as is the Alila, the Royal Pita Maha (though probably too expensive), the Ulun Ubud, the Tjampuhan, Kamandalu, Komeneka...as you can see, there are too many choices!

Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Craig Mar 29th, 2006 09:08 AM

We liked the Maya Ubud when we stayed there a couple of years ago. It is far enough out of town that you do need transportation - its about a 5 minute ride in. There is a free shuttle during the day but you need a taxi or be willing pay for the shuttle to take you out at night. We had a pool villa but I have heard that the regular rooms are pretty nice too.

rhkkmk Mar 29th, 2006 09:19 AM

for the south, may i also suggest that you look at the conrad....it is quite large which might not be what you want..it is a beautiful spot however...

try hiring a driver for part of the time also...putu is excellent...search fodors for his contact info....about $40 per day

MichaelBKK Mar 30th, 2006 04:22 PM

As it happens, I just got back from a quick biz. trip to Bali, and stayed at the Santika. I got upgraded to a garden bungalow, and loved it. If you stay here, be sure to get one of these, or one of the Raja suites.

I like the location of the Santika as well. It's within walking distance of the Discovery and Kuta Square areas, but far enough away to be rather quiet in the evenings.

The main drawback to the Santika is that there is practically no beach. At high tide the sea comes almost all the way up to the sea wall. The hotel has it's own strip of sand up on the sea wall, but if you want a good beach and all that goes with it, the Legian would be better.

In Ubud, I stayed at the Komaneka Suites last year. It's out near the Alila. Room was fabulous, and it would definitely make a great honeymoon spot, but when I visit Ubud again, I think I'll look at staying at the Komaneka Resort, which is in the middle of town. There's not much to do at the resorts (although, as you're on your honeymoon, there might be something...) so the daily ride into town and wait for the van back could get a little tiresome.

advantours Apr 19th, 2006 06:36 AM

From Santika to The Legian and Tjampuhan to Royal Pita Maha is a very very big jump, the most expensive room in one couldn't match the cheapest in the others, so I just assume that budget isn't a point here, then is it a location that you are after?

The Legian has nicer beach, but Santika is closer to Kuta, shops and clubs.

Tjampuhan is more central also, but the next door Ibah is better.

Mitch04 Apr 19th, 2006 06:41 PM

I think the best beach is Jimbaran Bay. The Four seasons is pretty expensive, but great. An alternative is the Pensea Puri, which is romantic and gorgeous.

Mitch04 Apr 19th, 2006 06:42 PM

WHOOOOOOOPS! Pansea Puri.

hobbes Apr 19th, 2006 06:44 PM

I agree with Michael re Ubud, being in the town center is fun esp coz there are great restaurant options in Ubud - definitely go to Mosaic.

Bella_Bluebell Apr 19th, 2006 10:39 PM

We stayed at the Maya Ubud a few years ago and found it to be gorgeous - we didn't mind the ride in and out of town but I can see if you were there 7 nights it might be a bit tiresome. We had a pool villa and it was absolutely gorgeous. The service was fantastic but the cost of eating and drinking there compared to the town was pricey.

We also stayed at a cheaper place in town - called the Honeymoon Guesthouse, owned by the same people who run the Casa Luna Restaurant and Cookery School (definitely worth a visit btw) so did have the experience of being able to walk to the restaurants too. I guess you do feel more independent staying in town - great for me as I am a wanderer - but my boyfriend would stay at Maya every time.

BB