Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bali Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bali-help-1040921/)

jannan Mar 22nd, 2015 01:30 PM

Bali Help

We are going to Bali in May. We're staying at the Legian in Semiyak for 3 nights and then go to Ubud thereafter. We haven't settled on a place in Ubud.

How difficult is it to get transportation from Semiyak up to Ubud?

Kathie Mar 22nd, 2015 01:32 PM

Very easy to get transport from Seminyak to Ubud. Your hotel can arrange it or you can hire a car and driver for a longer sightseeing trip from Seminyak to Ubud.

jannan Mar 22nd, 2015 02:38 PM

Thanks, yes, the plan was to take the day to get to Ubud with sightseeing on the way--only we don't know the more interesting route to take/see along the way. Any thoughts?

Kathie Mar 22nd, 2015 02:59 PM

Lots of interesting places to see between Seminyak and Ubud - when you hire a driver you can either tell him the sorts of things you want to see or ask for recommendations. Take a look at your guidebook - are there particular places that call to you?

marmot Mar 22nd, 2015 11:13 PM

The concierge at the Legian will be happy to arrange transport to Ubud and to help you select an itinerary for stops along the way. Or if "transfers" are included in the rate at your Ubud resort you could ask them to substitute pick up in Seminyak for pick up at the airport.

Hotel car & driver rates will be somewhat higher than what you will get if you make arrangements independently. There are plenty of drivers for hire on the road outside of the Legian. The going rate is about Indonesian Rupiah 100,000 per hour (~US$8.00), but you can negotiate down for a whole or half day. You just need a driver, not a driver + guide.

As noted, be prepared to provide direction on how you want to spend your time, e.g., markets, temples, arts and crafts, scenery, museums, lunch, etc.

jannan Mar 23rd, 2015 04:33 AM

Thank you marmot, Kathie. Marmot, we are at the Legian based on your rec's here. We'll get a full day driver "on the ground" and plan in out.

Looking of a good comparable to the Legian but in Ubud, not in the city--do you still recommend Alila?

Thanks.

marmot Mar 23rd, 2015 09:33 PM

I don't have a recommendation in Ubud that checks all of my boxes the way the Legian does.

Outside of Ubud all of the resorts along the Ayung River valley have spectacular views.

I like the Alila, especially the pool, though I'm a bit concerned that their maintenance isn't what it should be. We always stayed in one of the valley villas, which are really big rooms with wrap around terraces overlooking the valley. Suite 303 was our favorite.

I think Como Shambhala is one of the most beautiful places on the planet, but it's somewhat difficult to get in and out of.

I also like Kayumanis, though it's quite a bit smaller. I haven't been to the Samaya, but I've heard good things.

Although it's closer to town (on the western outskirts) Uma Ubud is really lovely with views of a different river valley.

Smeagol Mar 23rd, 2015 11:17 PM

I have been to Samaya in Ubud and it's really lovely. Great staff and a lovely setting.

jannan Mar 26th, 2015 06:43 AM

Thanks. Booked at Samaya and Legian. I need to figure out a scenic route from Legian to Samaya.