Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bali Ground Arrangement (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bali-ground-arrangement-838039/)

LovyJuicy Apr 29th, 2010 10:07 PM

Bali Ground Arrangement

I got my flight ticket from Malaysia to Bali in coming Oct. 5D4N

i would like to know is that cheaper to get the tour package in Bali or i straight away got it from the agent in Malaysia?

how much roughly a tou cost in bali?

~ GWK Culture, Uluwutu Temple, & dance show and dinner in jimbaran seafood.
~ Kimtamani & Ubud Full day tour
~ Lovina dolphin Tour, waterfall, and bedugul & tanah lot
~ sunset dinner cruise

Is any one able to answer me?

Thanks,

rhkkmk Apr 30th, 2010 06:16 AM

i guess you are asking about the cost to do each of these activities?

let me say that a private driver for a full day would cost about 400,000-500,000 rp. entrance fees might be extra...

Kathie Apr 30th, 2010 07:03 AM

No need to buy a tour package, just make arrangements once you are in Bali. It's almost always more expensive to buy tour packages ahead of time.

StanKase Apr 30th, 2010 12:00 PM

I might suggest you pre-arrange a guide and correspond with them. You might pay $75/day USD vs. $50 but considering the expense of your trip it is a "drop in the bucket" or less. Personally Unless you want to see the tourist sights vs. the "real" Bali i.e. the locals at work, living and at play a licensed guide is your best bet. You can get a guide with an air contioned corolla sized sedan and visit most of the places you mentuioned. A sunset cruise is best one referred by your guide. you don't want a boat with 75 people crowded together. Actually tourist sunset cruises usually are not very relaxing with more than 15 guests on a 40 ft. boat for 2 hours but the cost may be more than you want to spend. Though you did not mention it I suggest you avoid the Monkey reserve. it is very honey-tonk and somewhat unpleasant. Actually the lovino dolphin show was not very impressive when we saw it a few years ago and friens went last year though we tried to deter them and they were not thrilled either. But I do not know what turns you on so you might enjoy it. You will find the Ubud of today very commercialized and the immediate 3 mile radius of the town is packed with commercial stores many selling the same things, many not made in Bali. The town itself, in my opinion is not worth more 2-3 hours and there are a few distinct areas of shops. It might pay to have your hotel identify them and take taxi's between the 3 that we saw and have a guide for the remainer of that day. Personally 3 full days with a quality guide taking you all around for 8-9 hours each day will provide you a really good immersion at a cost of maybe $225 plus maybe a 10% tip if the guide is very good. I know a firm in central Java who works with a firm in bali, whosde name I do not know, but you could contact them and ask for 1 or 2 referrals. Tell them you do not want to spend more than $75/day for a licensed guide/driver very fluent in English for 8-9 hours a day for 2-3 days. the fellow who owns the firm is Wiedy and his email is [email protected] You can use my name since he supplied me with am excellent guide in central jave for 4.5 days 2 months ago.

kmkrnn Apr 30th, 2010 12:26 PM

lovyjucy...I hope you are headed for the right place as Bali is part of Indonesia not Malaysia. It is very easy to arrange ground transpot with your hotel or if you find a taxi driver who speaks good english use him. Cheaper once you are there. We have used Putu at Putuarnawa@alo,com. He is delightful, good english and a great sence of humor, and loves sharing his culture with the rest of us. Good luck and enjoy.

rhkkmk Apr 30th, 2010 01:16 PM

my wife should proofread for important things...putu is:

[email protected]

my typing and spelling is bad but this requires fixing

Gpanda Apr 30th, 2010 01:28 PM

Don't arrange a tour for all of your time. Hook up with Putu as noted above for two days and spend the other days on your own. Are you staying in Ubud or somewhere else? Putu will hook up with you no matter where you are, but the activities can differ according to hotel location.

StanKase Apr 30th, 2010 05:12 PM

Putu may be very good. I was just offerring another source who offers possible more professional guides who have access to local villages that other guides do not and NEVER take a commission from shops they take you to. If saving $50-$100 in the scheme of things is important or Putu is not available or his English is not fluent this may be an option.

Gpanda Apr 30th, 2010 05:19 PM

I'm sure there are many good guides in Bali. The tourist infrastructure is very strong. I've had the pleasure of being a client of Putu and he's very good. The key element is that you should not arrange a tour for your entire stay in Bali.

Orlando_Vic May 1st, 2010 02:52 AM

Dewa Marco [email protected] is an excellent choice for a driver. I am currently in Ubud and just concluded a full day of sightseeing with him. Read my comments here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13877338-post44.html and those of many others here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...l#post13877338

BeniciaChris May 1st, 2010 07:58 PM

We too had Puta as a guide for 2 days. When we wanted a 3rd for shopping he arranged his brother who works on a cruise ship but was home. It was all a wonderful experience. I'm thinking it was the same Puta-I got him on this site. Not sure of his E-mail as it was a few years ago. Chris

Ahmad_FirdausDin Mar 30th, 2012 09:04 AM

I got a ticket frm KL-Bali on this coming June for 5D 4N....yur comments guyz really help me a lot.. but 1 thing i want to know.. everybody mention about PUTU? wht is putu actually?
i really want to know how can i travel in Bali...becoz i'll going there alone..whts the best where i can xplore Bali alone? plzzz help me.

kuluk Mar 30th, 2012 07:25 PM

Ahmad: Putu is one of the thousands of drivers who are available for private hire. It is the name usually given to someone who a child of two parents of different caste...just a name (Balinese give names by birth order).

And there are so many that you will have many offers to take you around when you get to Bali. Don't worry. All of these things can be arranged when you land.

the main thing to know is: NEVER take a group tour where they will put you on a bus. Always take a private driver or situation where you will be the boss and tell the driver where you want to go. That way, if you do not like the restaurant, shop, or want to stop to take photographs, you will determine what you do on that day and where to go, NOT a pre-arranged schedule.

The way to find a driver is easy: When you arrive, the hotel will have their own list of drivers they use and recommend. These are people they work with on an every day basis and who they have already checked out. Alternatively, you will meet a lot of drivers who will offer you private tours. Talk to them for a couple of minutes, check out their car, talk about what your itinerary and what they recommend is a good order in which to see things. They will have a good idea of traffic patterns (for instance, when to avoid the buses when they are all doing their Kintamani lunch stop). Negotiate a price and off you go. You are not obligated to use them beyond what you hired them for, whether it's a point-to-point, half day tour, full day tour or whatever.

Cost will be in the range of rp 400,000 to probably 600,000, but the government is currently trying to raise the price of petrol by quite a bit, so things will probably change by the time you arrive in October.

By the way, these prices for drivers don't include the prices of admission to anything. Travel in Bali alone is very easy and comfortable...I would say a very large percentage of tourists I meet here are travelling by themselves.