Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bali-black sand beaches (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bali-black-sand-beaches-506932/)

oal15167 Feb 24th, 2005 04:22 PM

Bali-black sand beaches

I am intending to spend about 8 days in Bali with my kids, all aged 10 and below.I would love some feedback from all those who've been to Bali regarding my itinerary below:
-3 days in the south- swimming, relaxing, shopping, and getting a good spa.
Any recommendation for a good inexpensive spa? and how much am I looking at?

-3 days in Ubud region- would like a recommendation of a kid friendly place to stay near the ubud markets and town.

-2 days in a black sand beach region- now, this is where I'm stumped; which is better- Lovina, Candidasa or Manggis region?What would be more suitable for the kids to pick sea-shells and wade in?

Also, at Lovina, to sight the dolphins, do they come to the shore or do we need to take a boat out? This would determine whether we should go all the way to Lovina as my husband gets terribly sea-sick.Is there any activity like swimming with the dolphins?

TQ for any reply.

Mitch04 Feb 24th, 2005 05:48 PM

I only went to Lovina once. Never again. The black sand beach was like swimming in mud.

Candi Dasa/Manggis are great, but there is virtually no beach - even at low tide, despite what the brochures say (beach sometimes not visible at high tide actually means the beach is NEVER visible!). The Alila @ Manggis is great. Excellent pool, though the kids might find it boring.

Best bet for a decent beach might be Jimbaran Bay staying at the Keraton (moderate) or the Pansea (expensive). The beach is wide and sandy, and there is no surf. Safer for young children than Kuta. Good place to finish your trip, also, as it is only about 10 mins from the airport.

Nusa Dua apparently has a agreat beach, and the large hotels have excellent facilities for kids...but it is not the 'real' Bali.

If you stay at Lovina last, and you have to endure a 2 hour drive back the airport, which sorta takes the shine off your holiday if your transfer vehicle is not air conditioned.

piri Feb 24th, 2005 07:05 PM

I agree with Mitch04. Jimbaran Bay is wonderful for children.
The Keraton is excellant value and right next to the fishing villages. As the afternoon gets cooler all the local children and every man and his dog come out on the beach to play ball, swim etc. The foreign children join in and there is a great atmosphere on the beach while Mum & Dad can have a sundowner while watching the amazing sunsets. The Keraton has a modest spa but it is so close by taxi to spas in Kuta, Legian or Nusa Dua that you will have plenty of choice.
Having been to Bali about 14 times may I suggest that 3 areas in 8 days may be too much. Its not that distances are a problem but you want to leave time to take in the atmosphere, wonder, talk to the locals and if possible take the children to some Balinese ceramonies e.g. a temple ceramony . They are just so colourful.
Sanur is another great family area. The beach is good for children and you have lots of shops , restaurants and spas within walking distance. I don't know your budget but the Griya Santrian is a nice , smaller hotel at a reasonable price. If you like the bigger hotels with the large pools etc. there is the Hyatt or the cheaper priced Sanur Beach Hotel.
Yes , for a first trip to Bali with children and with only 8 days I would suggest 3 days Ubud and 5 days Sanur Beach. On your next trip (everyone returns to beautiful Bali) you can stay at some of the other areas.
Candi Dasa is a nice spot to detour via on way to or from Ubud. It is near the ancient Bali Aga village which is very interesting to visit.
If you have any other questions re Bali will be happy to try to help.You will just love this island and its people. Enjoy !
Would'nt attempt Lovinia or the North on such a short holiday.

rhkkmk Feb 24th, 2005 07:22 PM

i would suggest that you look at the bali hyatt in sanur...good beach and great pools and plenty of on property room for the kids to run around in...town is exceptionally nice...you could skip ubud stay and commute from sanur...we did...its less than an hour...

hire a driver...putu is fantastic...he is listed often on this forum

marmot Feb 24th, 2005 08:29 PM

I am also not a particular fan of north Bali, except for diving. As other posters have pointed out Sanur, Nusa Dua and Jimbaran are all good beaches for kids. Also, many families that I know like the Bali Padma at Kuta.

There are just so many little bungalow style places in Ubud, that it's difficult to know where to start. My son and his friends always stay at Ketut's, which is a family run place right in the middle of Ubud. Like so many places in Bali, simple and very friendly.

Be sure to take the kids to a morning performance of the Barong dance in Batubulan. Also the Kecak dance at Krama Desa Adat Junjungan is one of the best in Bali. If you go to the Ubud information center they will arrange transport.