Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Back from Thailand (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/back-from-thailand-851742/)

misserbee Jul 27th, 2010 08:34 AM

Back from Thailand

We just got back from our 3 week vacation in Thailand. It was AMAZING. We loved almost every part of it!

Before going I was worried about mosquitos, water, food vendors, weather, and potential protest violence. BUT, I have to say, I didn't need to worry! Contrary to what we were told, we used the tap water to brush our teeth, we ate from vendors, we ate all kinds of fruits, and we didn't get vaccinated against Malaria or Japanese Encephalitis -- we all came back healthy as can be (aside from a little jet lag and exhaustion). There was absolutely no sign of protests or violence that we could tell. We loved the Thai people. It was hard to believe that such tragedy happened so recently.

We absolutely LOVED Chiang Mai. Kanchanaburi and Erawan Falls were amazing as well. One place that was a bit of a disappointment was Koh Samui. I know it is supposed to be a bit less traveled than Phuket or Phi Phi, but it still felt extremely touristy. We stepped no more than 50 feet outside of our hotel and couldn't escape being constantly harassed to buy a suit. Part of it could have been that our hotel was right in Chewang area -- we didn't think it was based on the map we saw when reserving the hotel.

Koh Tao was quite a bit better, in my opinion. The beach wasn't as nice (as far as lying in the sand) where we stayed (Sairee Village), but the snorkeling was so great! Granted, that was our first snorkeling experience, and I'm sure there is better snorkeling in other parts of the world, but we had an excellent experience!

I am so happy we didn't let the protests scare us away from Thailand -- it was the trip of a lifetime!

Kathie Jul 27th, 2010 09:44 AM

I'm so glad you had a great time in Thailand. You can see why so many of us return again and again.

BTW, there is no vaccine for Malaria, and you were not in areas that are malarial risk, nor were you at risk for JE. I hope you didn't have someone tell you those were issues where you were going.

rhkkmk Jul 27th, 2010 02:20 PM

but drinking the water....WOW.... even most locals drink bottled water....consider yourselves lucky

flgirl0817 Jul 27th, 2010 02:31 PM

So happy you enjoyed your trip. I also loved Chiang Mai. However, you were very brave drinking the H2O. I used the bottle water even for brushing my teeth.

BillT Jul 27th, 2010 02:48 PM

And eating street food to boot! Lucky does not even begin to describe it- now if lady luck was not on your side you would have spend many a day becoming very familiar with the confines of your hotel bathroom!

Craig Jul 27th, 2010 02:57 PM

Guys - they didn't drink the water, they only used it to brush their teeth. Even I have accidentally brushed my teeth with Thai water (at the world-famous Amari Airport Hotel). I had no ill effects and am still here to report the incident.

simpsonc510 Jul 27th, 2010 03:52 PM

(Bob, she used the water to brush her teeth... not to drink... I do the same thing) I have eaten street food in Chiang mai, have never had the shots before travelling here, and I'm still very much alive and well.

Misserbee... I'm in Samui right now. And YES, it has really gone off the charts as far as touts and becoming way too touristy. I can't believe just how much it has changed in the last eight years. You are totally right! I'm not sure I want to come back anytime soon.

Other than that, I'm glad you enjoyed the Thai people. They really are very nice!

MichaelBKK Jul 28th, 2010 12:50 AM

Yeah, I've been brushing my teeth with the tap water in Bangkok for 18+ years. Never been sick from the water, anywhere in Southeast Asia. I sometimes think the whole "don't drink the water" mantra is one of those things that's been repeated so often it's taken as fact, when it was really just someone's opinion. It's true that almost nobody in these parts drinks the tap water, but that's usually because it's so full of chlorine that it doesn't taste good. I currently buy all my drinking water from a machine in the lobby of my Bangkok condo that basically just filters the tap water.

I agree Samui is just as touristy as Phuket. I really hate what happens to beach resorts when they get popular with mass tourism. Same is true of parts of Bali. Kuta and Legian are just as bad as the Thai resorts, and maybe worse.

Kathie Jul 28th, 2010 05:44 AM

Michael, tap water in Bangkok is relatively safe right now. But that isn't true all over SE Asia. Our own Gpanda got sick in LP from brushing his teeth with tap water. If water isn't safe to drink, it's not safe to brush your teeth.

Where does the "don't drink the water mantra" come from ? It comes from testing tap water for microbes.

Some of the worst tap water in Asia? Kathmandu.

rhkkmk Jul 28th, 2010 06:43 AM

yes brushing i did see that, but to me that is the same as drinking really...

its not that YOU WILL GET SICK, its that you COULD get sick and if you do it is extremely unpleasant!!