Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   ATTN: james A (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/attn-james-a-550591/)

rhkkmk Aug 9th, 2005 07:30 PM

ATTN: james A

where are you these days? what are you up to? we don't read your fabulous advice every day like we used to....we need you here more....

are you still in jotiem??

bob

laurieco Aug 9th, 2005 07:34 PM

Clean your glasses Bob, James has been around, quite a bit too. He replied to one of my posts yesterday and quite a few others today.

rhkkmk Aug 9th, 2005 07:42 PM

how can you see they are dirty....yes, he is around, but not nearly like he used to be and i for one miss it....

orgy7 Aug 9th, 2005 10:08 PM

may'be cuz most of the questions for the past month has been "what area to stay in bangkok" and of course, PEN or Oriental..

JamesA Aug 9th, 2005 10:22 PM

I actually had 'acute' Food Poisoning and was off this planet for about 2 weeks, wow, yuk! It was bad, worst of all is try as we might we just cannnot pin-point what it was caused by, I was really feeling loussy, only good thing is that I lost a huge amount of weight, well, those extra kg that were building up have now gone so it's not all bad, if you want to loose weight fast..........!!
We are seriously looking at some property in Hua Hin area and close our small remaining BKK office as I rarely go there and the costs are high but keep the Jomtien office, depends if BKK staff are happy to re-locate to HH.
So busy busy....also just took a flying trip around to SIN, KL, Penang and Phuket ( getting quite busy now, seems as good as any normal low season but although lots of western visitors the Asian visitors are slow to return and they tend to be the high spend, Japan, Korea, Taiwan etc ).
I am going to post a report on SIN etc soon, it is getting more expensive and service wise in my humble opinion is going 'down' a lot ( e.g limo touts at Changi real bad!!, poor hotel service etc )

JamesA Aug 9th, 2005 10:24 PM

PS The new Hua Hin Sheraton will be north of the airport in that area heading towards Cha Am, saw the new Wora Bura resort but it's still a building site but that is due to open September, south of the Hyatt, looks really impressive although not finished.

simpsonc510 Aug 10th, 2005 05:31 AM

James
Son says the poor return of some of the Asians has to do with belief about "ghosts" when people die and bodies are not buried. i.e. beaches in tsunami area... does he have it right? Just curious. I know that the MGM in Las Vegas changed its entry way, which was a huge lion, due to some Asian beliefs.
Carol

JamesA Aug 10th, 2005 06:54 AM

Yup, has a lot to do with spirits not being put to rest.

Guenmai Aug 10th, 2005 12:02 PM

It's too bad to hear that hotel service in Singapore is slipping...not that that will affect me since I stay at the "Y" where there's no service...although the staff is very nice. But it will probably affect the 3-5 star hotel folks the most. And touts at the airport...things are really changing. I leave for Singapore in a little over a week from now. It'll be interesting to see if I feel a difference. Happy Travels!

rhkkmk Aug 10th, 2005 08:22 PM

james...many of us are curious as to just what that office of your does?? what kind of business....tell us to mind our own business if you want to....

HH would be great for the family as you go there so often...much nicer than the other side of the bay...

you got sick eating from those street vendors again....no one will listen to me....even nearly locals like yourself have to be careful...

glad you are feeling better...i knew you were not your usual attentive self...we missed you....well i did anyways

bob

JamesA Aug 10th, 2005 10:41 PM

Nothing exciting, we supply data storage systems and also data backup systems and input for businesses, boring but the money is 'ok'....that is why I am often in the office so late just checking the right lights are flashing and bored!! My wife supplies drapes and soft furnishings for houses, restaurants and quite a few hotels, hence often her experiences in hotels as well as mine, my brother-in-law does wooden furniture for businesses, homes and sometimes a hotel too teaming up with my wife.
Life was more fun years ago when I had a restaurant and bar but no money!

rhkkmk Aug 11th, 2005 06:54 AM

that puts you in context in our minds james...thanks for sharing that with us....you sound like very busy people...

we all really appreciate all of your fantastic info...

JamesA Aug 11th, 2005 07:35 AM

Living in Paradise is sadly not all beaches and beer !