ATMs in airport - Bangkok

Nov 26th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

ATMs in airport - Bangkok

Apologies if this has been answered before - I tried to find it, but didn't see anything more recent than about five years ago.

We will be arriving at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) around midnight and will need to take a taxi to our hotel. Will there be ATMs available for us to get some cash in the airport?

What is the most efficient way to get cash, if not at an ATM?
Nov 26th, 2017, 03:37 PM

Yes, there are ATMs available in the arrive;s area of the airport.
Nov 26th, 2017, 08:07 PM

I am there now. As Kathie says there are many ATM's in the arrivals hall after you go thru the customs area.

Sadly they have increased the mandatory service fee to 220B per transaction. I always withdraw $300-400. to try and reduce these fees.

Conversions rates are excellent using ATM.

You will need to break down at least one 1000B bill at an exchange counter in the same area to pay your taxi. Taxis rarely have change, or so they say. Fee to town varies according to location but count on 300-400B plus tolls of about 75 B. All a huge bargain.

Make sure driver turns on meter to 35B as you drive away from curb--- just say, "meter". Only pay flat fee if in an SUV taxi--700B incl. tolls.

Our SUV this time used his meter-- never happened before to us.

SUV is more comfortable for 45+ minute ride into town.
Nov 26th, 2017, 08:39 PM

I also remember having no problem finding an ATM upon arrival. Get yourself an ATM card that waives ALL fees, so you don't have to carry a bunch of cash. Charles Schwab and First Republic bank are two of many out there.

Here's the link to the First Republic Rebate Checking account that I have. All ATM fees are credited back monthly.

https://www.firstrepublic.com/person...ebate-checking
Nov 27th, 2017, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info. I'll be sure to get change before finding a taxi!

Great advice regarding the ATM cards that reimburse fees - we have UBC which does the same worldwide, same day.
Nov 27th, 2017, 08:46 AM

I remember seeing them as soon as I cleared through immigration.
Nov 29th, 2017, 04:54 PM

Do not rely on a single debit card for spending money. You lose it or damage it you will be out of spending money. So have back up sources for spending money.

If I read your bio info right you are from the US. It is okay to bring some cash from home. Bring newer US hundred dollar bills with the big heads. No dirty money, no tears, no writing or dirt on them. Hundred dollar bills get a little bit more in return than smaller denominations when you change money. Also they don't take up so much room in your wallet as lots of small denomination bills.

Changing foreign currencies is easy in Thailand. Some bank kiosks are open late into the evening and usually 7 days a week in locations popular with tourists. Bank money changers available at the airport 24 yours a day. Change a little at the airport for taxi and first day spending.

No big fee or commission to change dollars to Thai baht in Thailand.

(Rates are not fixed and can change a little every now and then.)
https://daytodaydata.net/

My preference for the times when I use an ATM is to use an ATM near the parent bank during hours the bank is open. This way if the card does not come back a bank employee can help you out. There are many ATMs in the city area but if they are in remote areas and your card does not come back you will be playing "phone tag" with some person in another part of the city.

My advice is to use Thai baht for cheap purchases in bars and restaurants. My opinion, the less I expose my credit or debit cards the less chance of some sort of fraudulent charges.

When I make an ATM withdrawal a few hours later I use my computer to pull up my card account to check how much really came out.

Up to you.

Search this Thread