Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   ATM's (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/atms-669459/)

shawtymae Jan 11th, 2007 02:17 PM

ATM's

Is there a daily maximum baht/US dollar amount that I can get from the ATM? For example, here in the states, some banks might impose an ATM withdrawal limit of, say, $500 per day. Do the ATM's in Thailand do the same thing, and if so what is the limit? Also, do they give you the money in different notes, or all the same notes; like in the US, almost all ATM's give out only $20 bills.

crosscheck Jan 11th, 2007 02:50 PM

We just returned from Thailand last week. We used ATM's in BKK, Chaing Rai & Sop Ruak (Golden Triangle) as well as the BKK and CR Airports. We had been told by a Thai friend that the daily maximum withdrawal was 20,000 baht, but we found that a few times we could get only 10,000 baht a day. The money always appeared in 1000 baht notes because our transactions were for denominations of a thousand, but I believe that if you request other amounts (e.g. 9100 or 9500 baht) you can also get 100 or 500 baht notes.

We traveled with two ATM cards and found that at one did not work in certain machines, particularly in Cambodia, but we were able to call our bank and correct the problem.

eurotraveller Jan 11th, 2007 03:29 PM

I have also found that different ATM's will allow varying withdrawl amounts.

Kathie Jan 11th, 2007 03:51 PM

Yes, it will vary from one ATM to another. I've never run into an ATM in Thailand that wouldn't let me withdraw 10,000 baht at a time. (I did try to withdraw 100,000 baht in error - jetlag - and the ATM wouldn't give it to me - fortunately!)

rhkkmk Jan 11th, 2007 04:10 PM

my normal withdrawal in thailand is 12000B and i never had had a problem with this amount....always 1M B notes

rhkkmk Jan 11th, 2007 04:11 PM

i think once in a while i did get 500 B notes which i hate as they look so much like 100 B notes

JamesA Jan 11th, 2007 04:57 PM

Some have a maximum of B 10,000 at a time, a few B 20,000, but you can put your card in more than once to get up to your daily limit,

Here is a tip....... you can always go inside a Bank and they will put your card through and you can get up to your daily limit ( decided by 'your' issuer ) in one go. They put it through their own machine and you sign and get a copy as normal ( passport needed for this though ) but that means you can draw a higher amount at one time, plus you sign for it and get a copy of that, so helps with 'peace of mind also', just a tip for those who prefer, it might be a different charge by your issuer but worth knowing. Just go to one of the Customer service desks, they will usualy do it for you, some 'might' point you to the cashier queue but others will do it personaly at the Customer service sections.

shawtymae Jan 14th, 2007 08:54 AM

thanks for all the responses...very informative!