Three days in Bangkok

Old Mar 11th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three days in Bangkok

I am planning a trip to Bangkok this summer. I don't have an itinerary yet. I am open to suggestions. I will be visiting Taiwan, Thailand and Japan. I have friends in Taiwan and Japan but not in Thailand. I would like to stay in a hotel that has tourist attractions within a walking distance. Any suggestions?
Thank you,

Letty
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 02:44 PM

Finding a hotel with tourist attractions within walking distance may be difficult for two reasons: Bangkok isn't a great walking city as it is so hot and the traffic is so bad. Better to use public transport, both the Skytrain and the water taxis. I'd recommend staying at a hotel along the river as it's a bit cooler there and you have easy access to the public water taxis and the skytrain. Give us a price range and we can make recommendations.

It sounds like this is your first trip to Bangkok. Three days isn't much, but you can get a taste.

Everyone's must-sees are different, but my recommendations would be:

A whole morning visiting the Grand Palace and Temple of the Emerald Buddha, Wat Pho (Reclining Buddha) and Wat Arun. All are in close proximity. You can start at the Palace/Emerald Buddha (get there when it opens), then Wat Po, then take the foot ferry across the river to Wat Arun. This is an ambitious morning, but I've done it a number of times. Take the public water taxi from below the Sktrain station at the river.

The Jim Thompson House - the skytrain will get you close. They have English language tours at least hourly.

There are many dozens of other wats - Wat Tramit, in Chinatown is one I recommend, and I recommend a stop at the Erawan Shrine right downtown.

Them of course, there is great shopping and fabulous food.

There are lots of other things to see, depending on your interests. I like house museums, and there are plenty and we loved the private Presort Museum, but you must reserve in advance and find a taxi driver who knows where it is (outside of town).

Have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 05:36 PM

If you do happen to stay along the river then a klong (canal) tour by longtail boat for 1 to 1.5 hours would be interesting. Also along the river is the night bazaar at Asiatique. You can get there by free boat shuttle at Taksin pier. This is also an area where klong tours can be arranged.

MBK is an interesting Thai mall that you might enjoy. It is at National Stadium skytrain station. Jim Thompson house is near this very same station, but on the opposite of the skytrain platform from MBK.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the info Kathie. Yes this is my first time in Asia !! As for hotel prices, I am thinking no more than $90 per night but not less than $50. The problem is that we are 3 persons and not many hotels accept us in one room. One person told me to stay in the Pratunam area, what do you think? What about the flower market, have you been there?
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info simpsonc510! What is Jim Thompson house?
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 04:37 PM

Short version: Jim Thompson was an American who re-invented the Thai Silk industry. There are Jim Thompson stores in Bangkok and elsewhere. Jim Thompson accumulated a number of traditional Thai teak houses and put them together for his home. They are furnished with Thai antiques. Well worth seeing, IMO.

Yes, many places will not accept three people in a room. (is your budget per person or for all three of you?) You might check on the Ibis along the river. Personally, I'm not fond of the Pratunam area, but if that is where you can find a place at your price point, just make sure you are close to a skytrain stop (not blocks away).

You need to visit the flower market between about 2 am and 4 am. This a a commercial flower market, not some place you go to buy a bouquet. There are great mounds of orchid sprays. I've been there, and enjoyed it. But it isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 05:05 PM

Pratunam area is a bit of a hike to the sky train in my opinion. I prefer staying along Sukhumvit. The sky train runs above Sukhumvit for miles! Bangkok is hot and can be rainy in summer months. I'm not fond of getting caught in a downpour trying to get to a sky train station that is blocks away.

Bangkok has many serviced apartments that will accept three people. The Grand President on soi 11 along Sukhumvit is a short walk to the Nana sky train station, and should be in your budget. Sois are narrow streets (alleys in many cases) that run off of major streets such as Sukhumvit. Even numbered sois are on one side, odd numbers are on the opposite side. Note that soi 9 is not necessarily right across from soi 10!
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 05:12 PM

I should note that I like staying along Sukhumvit on sois from about 8 to 16 and 11 to 21. Adelphi Suites on soi 8 is almost like my home away from home, but it probably would not take 3 people in a room (studios, and 1-bedroom apts)...not 100% sure on that. It may be slightly above your budget though.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 07:26 PM

Ibis is a good bet for 3 people sharing a room. They all have "family rooms with either a king or twin beds plus a bunk. A little "corporate" and functional in feel but great value. We are currently staying at the Ibis Riverside which, at < $50 per night is incredible value for a riverside hotel. They also have hotels at Nana and a few other places. It is on the other side of the river abou a 10-15 min walk to Saphin Taksin BTS station or, they have a free Tuk Tuk to the BTS station on this side of the river.

Another option is one of the ICheckInns which are at several locations around the city and tend to have very large apartment like rooms with kitchenette. Although, I hesitate to recommend them as our recent experience at their property on Sukumvit Soi 2 was a bit of a disaster! Probably a one off though.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks a lot again!! One more question... After reading your comments, I think it would be better to get a tour guide. Can I get one from the hotel ? Or do you know or recommend one ?
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 09:06 PM

What part makes you think you would be better off with a tour guide? I've never used in a guide in my decades of travel to Bangkok. Going without a guide means you will really know your way around. Yes, your hotel can recommend a guide if you would like. If you choose to use a guide, have them show you how to use public transportation (skytrain and water taxis, in particular) rather than using driver. If you are in a car you will spend a lot of time snarled in traffic. Knowing public transport means you will be very confident on your own next trip.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

LOL .... I am not as adventurous as you are! In all my trips to different countries I always had a tour guide. This is the first time I go without one. But yes If I do get one, I will make sure that he shows me how to use the public transportation.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 12:21 AM

I would take taxis, it's much easier to figure out than public transportation and only costs maybe $2-$4 anywhere in Bangkok. Just make sure they use the meter as opposed to charging a flat rate (not that a flat rate would even be the end of the world- like $10-$15 at most). Do not take tuk tuks as they are sales people and will probably bring you by a jewelry shop that you don't care to visit.
If you want a guest house there is one called Varee Vara in a quiet residential neighborhood that will run you at $25/night per room, so with your budget you can each have your own room. It is easy to get a taxi from there all day and night too.

And yes, it will be hot when you are there, fyi.

Bangkok is a very safe city in my opinion and I don't think you will need a tour guide, but if it's affordable, then that could be fun. Have a great time!
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 02:56 AM

I'd suggest the using the sky train and water taxis. The former is very easy to use, signs are all in English as well as Thai. If you are in Bangkok at a weekend Chatuchuk (sp) weekend market is well worth a visit.

I'm also a fan of Bangkok Food Tours. I've done the morning one but there are others. You wander around a more traditional area of Bangkok and sample various Thai dishes.

I also did a Sunset bike tour with Spice Roads that was great fun but a bit daunting if you are not used to Asian traffic! (Its only about 15 kilometres and easy riding - I was about 65 when I did it so obviously not too arduous).
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 10:22 AM

I only take taxis when public transport is not convenient. As noted, they are cheap (but if they refuse to turn on the meter - get out), but then you will be contending wit traffic.

I'm glad Silverwool mentioned Bangkok Food Tours, as they have gotten great reviews.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Crellston I already looked at Ibis hotel riverside and the room is $36 per night and I can get two rooms. The place looks decent!!

Silverwool I would like to take that sunset bike tour, will see how it goes.

Kathie - I am definitely doing the morning itinerary that you mentioned ��

Clawtalk- thanks for the tip of Bangkok being a safe city. It means a lot to me

Overall, thanks a lot again. I still need to research more on Bangkok but all your comments gave me a guidance on what to look for. I am pretty sure this trip will be an awesome one!
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 10:54 AM

centre point silom might work for you.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 02:58 PM

Another thing you should try in Bangkok is a Thai massage. Wat Pho maybe.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 04:00 AM

Letty33:
At $36 you better check it out on Trip Advisor, see the reviews and look at traveler pictures before you decide. After all you get what you pay for as the saying goes.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

I did check on Trip Advisor and the comments are great!! We will see what happens. For sure I will be writing a review on this hotel after my trip BillT

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -