Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Assam Bengal Navigator (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/assam-bengal-navigator-832561/)

MauiWendy Mar 24th, 2010 01:12 PM

Assam Bengal Navigator

Since Pandaw just canceled the Ganges 2010/11 cruise season, I would like to hear from anybody that has experienced the Ganges on the Assam Bengal Navigator. Any comments will be greatly appreicated.

Kathie Mar 24th, 2010 05:46 PM

wow - very interesting.

dogster Mar 24th, 2010 07:52 PM

Whaaa...?

Cancelled? DId I do that? lol. Where did you find that out?

I've been with Assam Bengal up and down the Hoogli.
14 days all up;

MauiWendy Mar 24th, 2010 08:18 PM

Dogster Today we recieved an email from Paul Strachan informing us of the decision to cancel next years Ganges season due to the challenge of navigating the Ganges. He didn't mention anything about Death on The Ganges. Did you do that? Maybe. Have you been satified with your Assam Bengal experiences?

dogster Mar 24th, 2010 08:25 PM

I had absolutely no issues with their Hoogli cruise - in fact, there was so little drama, apart from a lady in a muu-muu, that it was difficult to write about.

BIG CLUE:

I think you'll find it's the <i>'Sukapha'</i> on the Hoogli [?] - in which case, a wise woman from Maui would book either the Dogster suites: Cabin 10 or 11 to enjoy the <b>Double bed</b> and extra rear-facing window.

I've been lately checking out their itinerary. It's fine.

How did you find out Pandaw cancellation? I've been checking their website over the last week - I noticed strange things going on.

dogster Mar 24th, 2010 08:31 PM

O.K. we cross posted.

Wow. It'll be nothing whatsover to do with <i>'the challenge of navigating the Ganges'</i>, I can assure you of that.

Maybe I can post the other 50% of my report now.

thursdaysd Mar 24th, 2010 08:44 PM

"Maybe I can post the other 50% of my report now." - please!

MauiWendy Mar 24th, 2010 08:53 PM

How did I find out about Pandaw? Because we are booked on a Ganges cruise in January, we recieved the email from Paul Strachan informing us our deposit will be refunded and offering a discount on an alternative cruise. As far as I know our Irrawaddy and Mekong bookings are in tact. Thanks for the suite number tips on the Sukapha.

dogster Mar 24th, 2010 09:05 PM

Yep, the rest of the operation is rock-solid. Those other cruises are fine. Done 'em.

Can you find AssamBengal dates to fit your back-to-back' idea? I don't know when you're traveling - but that's an idea very much to my liking. The Brahmaputra cruises are interesting too. They fit very well with a Chindwin cruise in Burma.

Culturally, the best order to do the cruises is Mekong/Irrawaddy first - then Chindwin in Burma; across to the Brahmaputra, then continue west to Bihar with Assam Ganges, then downriver Hoogli to Kolkata.

OR the reverse.

Now, THAT is a serious Grand Journey.

richieC Mar 25th, 2010 03:03 PM

I travelled with Assam Bengal last year on the Hoogly. Outstanding trip - super guide Sumit, and purser Kanal. Professional outfit, comfortable ship. Will travel with ABN in Assam at some stage.