Asian Vacation from Hong Kong

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In late October, after five days conducting business in Hong Kong area, I'd like to take a vacation from Hong Kong, and not sure if I'm going alone or not yet, but that's neither here nor there...

From Hong Kong, thinking of flying to Thailand for a 5-7 day vacation, but have heard that Philippines or Vietnam might be as interesting, and possibly closer or easier to get to from Hong Kong (although what's another hour in the air?)

Oh, me, 50 year old male, that plays tennis, would enjoy fishing, hanging out on a great uncrowded charming beach.

Have heard about Phuket, although concerned I'm a few years late (i.e. touristy, but aren't I a tourist?)

I'm more a small inn, great beach, chicken and rib shack kind of guy, not into sightseeing too much, and I'm not sure I'm being helpful.

Would I have to fly into Bangkok to get to southern Thai Beaches?

Again, not locked into Thailand, just somewhere great, a friend mentioned some surfing camp in the Philippines, but seemed like it would take forever to get there. But sounded cool.

Not sure if I'm being helpful giving too much information, but any two cents are appreciated.

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM

Dragon Air fly HK Phuket direct.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM

October is the most difficult time for Thai beaches, on both sides of the peninsula. So you may well have bad weather - rain, wind, rough seas. And you may have some wonderful weather. If you are content to be at the beach without being on the beach, it could be an ideal time for you, as prices will be low an it will be much less crowded. And I believe there is a non-stop flight from Hong Kong to Phuket, which would be convenient (check on this, it might not fly in October). Phuket has busier beaches and less busy beaches, so you can choose the kind of atmosphere you are looking for.

Bali would have better weather, but is a longer flight. And Bali is such a cultural experience, I wouldn't go there just for a beach. The beaches are ok, but not glorious. Lombok (right next door to Bali) has much nicer beaches, but it's a pain to get there.

Take a look at www.weatherbase.com for info on weather patterns for each of the areas you are considering.

Our local Hong Kong expert, Cicerone, may well have other ideas for you.

By the way, the info about you and what you are looking for is very helpful.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM

October is tricky for beaches in SE Asia, as you have two monsoon patterns, one receeding and one advancing, at that time. I agree that in October, Phuket would not be a great choice, as you will have more rain and cloud cover than I think you would want. The wonderful east coast islands of Thailand and Malaysia are about the same at that time as far as rain, see weatherbase.com and other websites for information. Vietnam beaches can get rain too, I believe it may depend on where you go, see the weather websites. I am not as familiar with beaches and rainfall patterns in Vietnam, but I know that places like Hue and Da Nang get deluged in the fall months, see weather websites for info.

Bali is a good choice for October, you will just be coming into the rainy season then, but is probably not really going to interfere with a holiday, as there is so much more to see and do there beyond beaches that clouds probably won’t bother you at all, and overall it’s not a heavy rain month. Shacks on the beach have been taken up in many areas by resort hotels, but if you go north and/or east you can find very small hotels still. While parts are heavily touristed, there are still many areas which are not. Lots of non-stop flights from Hong Kong.

The Philippines are also going to be a bit rainy in October, although the second half of the month will be better, and they would be less rainy than Phuket. Try Palawan, see http://www.elnidoresorts.com/. There are other hotels in the Palawan area. The two hotels at El Nido are perfectly nice, not overly luxe. Just hanging out on the beach and water activities like snorkeling and scuba diving. I believe fishing would be quite easy to do as well. Travel there involves a flight to Manila, then a light plane trip of about an hour, then a boat trip of about 45 minutes. There are lots of non-stops to Manila from Hong Kong, flight takes 2 hours.

Have to say that October is really one of the best months in Hong Kong (esp the latter half), sunny, warm and virtually no rain, and we have some wonderful beaches, hiking, walking, ferries to outlying islands, a goodly number of public tennis courts (and private clubs with courts too, chum up with business colleagues), so you may want to spend time here too. Could also do an overnight in Macau. Many parts of China are excellent for travel in late Ocotber, and far less tourist crowds than in summer, so if you can give up the idea of a beach vacation, you may prefer to go inland. Japan in late October could be quite pleasant as well.

Finally, although it is a bit of a journey, it is possible to go to Hawaii from Hong Kong, esp. as you would then be going back to the US so would not have to slog the long trip on both ends. While sort of a pain as there are no non-stops, it can be done, it takes about 12 hours (and you “gain” a day, i.e. you arrive the same day you leave), but then from Hawaii you only have 9 hours back to the East Coast and there are non-stops. With 5-7 days in Hawaii, that’s a decent amount of time, and you are there before Christmas and high season and should find good prices. Also pretty good weather in October (although you are coming into the more rainy weather then, but overall they would be at about half the rain levels of the <i>least</i> rainy beach areas in SE Asia at that time).

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

thanks, all very helpful indeed.

I will be in HK at the Mega Premium Fair, and didn't realize October whether was such an issue, so have to reconsider...

thanks,

J
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 06:10 PM

I don’t want to discourage you. I know that there are anecdotal stories of people going for a week in October to Phuket and having clear sunny weather and a great time. There are also the opposite stories of a week of solid rain. It is just that the odds are with the rain. If you look at the websites and see that a place gets 12 inches of rain in a month, you have to do the math and know that it can’t be a case of rainfall being limited to “an hour of rain in the afternoon” like the hotel weather websites will tell you…nice try but that is not the reality, at least in my experience. (In the heaviest rainfall month on the East coast where I grew up, generally May, there are 4-5 inches of rain, in your recollection, does that fall in an hour of rain every day?)

I just hate to see people spend time, money and effort to go all the way someplace to sit in the rain, or having heavy cloud cover all day. (We get 90 inches of rain a year here, so the dry months –like October--- are hugely important to me.) But, we may be all wrong, the Gods may be on your side, and you may have a great week someplace like Koh Samui. I would lean toward Bali where you will have less rain statistically to begin with, and there is a lot more to do if you DO get rain (not the case with a place like Koh Samui or Phuket, those are really just beach tourist islands.)
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Sanya Island from Hong Kong? Other than air, are there other ways to get there from Hong Kong?

Also, are there are any hotel rooms in Hong Kong for under $100.00?

thanks,

J
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 08:09 PM

I could spend 2 weeks in Phuket without going to the beach once. Cultural shows,temples,snake farms,elephant rides,gibbon rehab centre,Muay Thai,Zoo,shopping,bars,restaraunts,Go Karts,Quad bike Safari,Bungy Jump,Golf,more shopping,more restaraunts,Phra Nang bay trip,Sea-Kayaking through the hongs,more bars,massage,shooting range,markets,Vegetarian festival(late Oct),Cabaret shows,people watching,fantastic viewpoints,restaraunts on fantastic viewpoints,trip to Gypsy sea village.... I respect your opinion Cicerone but how can you say that Phuket is a beach tourist Island with little to do if it rains. I have been there 6 times between August and November and can only remember one day that it rained all day and I still had heaps to do. In fact it ended up being one of my best days of the trip. I would like to hear from anyone that has been to Phuket in late October and had constant rain for a week.
The poster has stated that he wants to hang out on a charming uncrowded beach and have access to a night out. I think that Kata Beach or even Nai Harn would suit,particularly at the end of low season where prices are good and it is less crowded. Why would you recommend the beach in Bali over this. The beaches with accomadation in his price range would indeed be crowded,are nowhere near as nice as Kata. Also,the fight times from Hong Kong would be almost an hour and a half less. Cathay fly direct from HK to Phuket. I think it ticks most of the posters boxes.Why discourage him from goig?
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM

Flying is the only reasonable way to get from Hong Kong to Sanya.

Sure, there are hotel rooms in Hong Kong for $100. Depending on you dates, they can be okay to fairly crappy.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM

Oh, you said late October. That's the time of the Canton Fair in Guangzhou, and hotel rates in Hong Kong is at its peak during the whole year (along with the spring Canton Fair in late April).

For under $100, you can try places like the YWCA Anne Black House, Salvation Army Booth Lodge, Caritas Bianci Lodge, or maybe even the YMCA International House (not Salisbury). These are all real hotels that provide basic accommodations. You won't get a good 3* for under $100 at that time, except in some inconvenient locations, or with ultra small rooms.

For even less, you can stay in one of the many guest houses in various mixed-use buildings.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM

Sorry to misinform you but the Phuket Vegetarian Festival is actually late Sept early Oct this year. If anyone is there at the momment make sure you see the parade, it is certainly an eyeopener.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:02 AM

For what it's worth, I just returned from the Philippines last weekend and was in Boracay for 4 days during which time a strong typhoon struck northern Luzon.

While there was a hefty breeze and occasional rain in Boracay, it didn't really hinder our trip, though if you want to layout on the beach, the lack of sun may be an issue. We had pretty heavy cloud cover the entire time we were there. However, this was the most beautiful beach I've ever seen in my life, and the fact that it was almost completelyl deserted since it's the off-season was a huge plus. The only thing I missed was that afternoon rain showers kept us from taking a snorkeling trip. We though the heavy cloud cover and rain would mean not good enough visibility to justify the expense, though the backside of Boracay was pretty still on our departure, which surprised me with the strong, constant breezes on the beachside.

But by late October, the typhoon season is on the way out and weather should improve in most of the Philippines. (It's still not the best weather, which doesn't arrive until November.) Palawan might be a viable option as well. I was also in Bohol and found it to be spectacular ... one of the most beautiful and lovely places I've ever seen.