Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Asia forum group get together in Hawaii for August 2005 (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/asia-forum-group-get-together-in-hawaii-for-august-2005-a-538677/)

Guenmai Jun 22nd, 2005 09:36 AM

Asia forum group get together in Hawaii for August 2005

I thought I'd start a new thread for those who might not being reading the other thread. We, forum folks, are talking of organizing a get together in Hawaii for August 2005. If interested let us know. The original talk of this is under the "To Bob(rmk)reminders" thread. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Jun 22nd, 2005 09:38 AM

I don't know how these little yellow faces pop up. The above was to read.."To Bob(rmk)reminders"...The yellow face distorted it. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Jun 22nd, 2005 09:39 AM

Well, it did it again! I give up. Happy Travels!

kuranosuke Jun 22nd, 2005 10:48 AM

sounds like a great idea. sorry, i will be out of town on that date.....joking!!

good idea to start this thread.

lcuy Jun 22nd, 2005 11:45 AM

I'll be there if it's before August 19th....

Lucy

Guenmai Jun 22nd, 2005 11:53 AM

Good...ICUY...I leave for Singapore/Bangkok around the 18th so I'll have to do it no later than around the first part of August,too. The problem right now is with flights and timing of flights since I have only a weekend and have to fly from L.A.The morning flights, on United are already gone...that would be on the way home which I would need a Sunday morning flight for. I hope Kathy knows the exact dates of her business trip SOON as things are booking fast. Happy Travels!

simpsonc510 Jun 22nd, 2005 12:40 PM

I just looked at UAL prices from ORD. Not very cheap... but I'd consider joining in. But I need to know the exact date so I can book my ticket.
Carol

mrwunrfl Jun 22nd, 2005 04:17 PM

Funny, just this morning I was enjoying some Kona coffee and was thinking that it would be a good idea to go to Hawaii.

kuranosuke Jun 22nd, 2005 05:38 PM

come on down bill, and bring eileen with you. we can go get some good sushi.

Kathie Jun 22nd, 2005 06:52 PM

I know I'm the one holding up this process. Unfortunately, I don't have a firm date for the trip yet. I specified the first week in August, but they haven't gotten back to me on whether it will be the beginning or the end of the week. So the Saturday night I would be there will be either July 30 or August 6. I will continue to follow up with them about dates, and hope to have a date for you by the end of the week.

Guenmai Jun 23rd, 2005 06:55 AM

Thanks Kathie...The airfares are very high right now...I can fly to Bangkok for the same amount that United wants to fly to Hawaii...but I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope they don't rise anymore although when I was at the Thai travel agency in Hollywood last weekend, I was told that airfare will hike up $50. after June 30th...I don't know if that's only Thai Air or not...but I just saw the news less than an hour ago and it was announced that airfares are definitely going up. So, let's just keep our fingers crossed for the Hawaii trip. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Jun 23rd, 2005 07:18 AM

ICUY...Since you live in Honolulu where should we all meet.... on whatever Saturday we will be getting together? Like possibly an excellent restaurant? I've only been in Honolulu once and it was back in 1970 when I was a young teen. So, I don't know the place. I have to figure out a hotel location,too and I don't need to be at the beach...I from L.A. County and have seen plenty of the Pacific Ocean along the California stretch.The time I was in Hawaii, I remember that my mom got the two of us a hotel right on Waikiki which was nice, but extremely crowded. So, for me low hotel cost, for this trip, is a higher priority than panoramic views.Plus I'll only be there for a weekend.Zip in and zip out and then back to work on Monday. Oh, I heard from Sandye, from Canada, yesterday. She sent me a long e-mail. I was e-mailing her until nearly midnight last night. She said that you are welcome to view her Ghana story. Go to www.travelpod.com and then type in hooktravellers and it'll pop up. She and I met in the Africa forum and spent five months e-mailing each other as I was helping her and her family of five plan their trip to Ghana. Her husband had lived there as a small child as his father worked on the dam. But she and her kids had never been there.I might possibly go back Dec 2006...why don't you plan a trip then? Happy Travels!

Guenmai Jun 23rd, 2005 07:22 AM

Bill...Don't be a party-pooper. Yeah, Hawaii is Americanized...it's America...but I don't think any of us are thinking about that...we just want to get together and PARTY! This isn't a real vacation...but a get together...and I can think of a lot of worse places to get together than Hawaii.... Happy Travels!

BillT Jun 23rd, 2005 07:46 AM

Ok Guenmai- you are right! We will have to pass as we only get 1 vacation a year (you guys are lucky you can travel more often!)
We did Manila this year and are going back in Feb/March to visit relatives and places we missed.
Have a great time in Hawaii

Guenmai Jun 23rd, 2005 08:02 AM

We'll have a toast for you,Bill! Happy Travels!

glorialf Jun 23rd, 2005 08:49 AM

Wish I could join you all but can't afford another vacation this year. Have a great time and if you plan a get together in the Chicago area, count me in!

simpsonc510 Jun 23rd, 2005 11:31 AM

Gloria
Chicago would sure be a lot more convenient for me too, but I don't think there are enough of us in the midwest to get something going. What do you think?

I'm going to be ready for a short trip to "somewhere" (but not as far away as BKK) so the sound of a quick jaunt to either Boston or Honolulu sounds good to me. Just depends on the timing.

Carol

glorialf Jun 23rd, 2005 12:02 PM

I think there are several from this area but I could be wrong.

laurieco Jun 23rd, 2005 01:15 PM

Any New Yorker's out there who want to get together? Is anyone coming here on business?

divediva Jun 23rd, 2005 09:25 PM

aloha everyone....

fyi...august is the busiest, most expensive
high season month. september is much
slower here...kids back in school....
nonetheless...if august it is, then i will be there....
keep the thread going on updates