Place: Mekong Thai Restaurant
1295 S. Beretania St., Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808 591-8841

Headcount:
(1) Kathie
(2) Kuranusuke
(2) HawaiianTraveler
(2) IsisMnroe

Need headcount/reconfirmation from Guenmai, Divediva, Lcuy and any others who can join in on the fun! BYOB Corkage fee $1 per person.

Mahalo!
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rhkkmk in spirit....
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Kuranosuke, I now spell your name correctly.

Thank you to everyone who share their travel knowledge and wisdom to the Board.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 09:12 PM

(1) Lcuy aka Lucy
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 10:25 PM

isismnroe; never noticed. ok, mekong on beretania is good.

just in case anyone is interested in doing a little attitude adjustment period before dinner, i'm game. happy hour downtown might be hectic. longhis or mortons at ala moana center are excellent.(ala moana is about 15 min. to mekong) longhis has the great view of the beach, and mortons(next door) has great filet mignon sandwiches(free) along with your martinis.

anyways, see you all at mekong at beretania..
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:57 AM

$1 corkage fee? wow! these are Thai prices! I'll bring some Washington wine.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Count me in as one of those that will be there in spirit. I expect a full report with photos!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 04:46 PM

I RSVPed last weekend. Check the other thread. I think we should stay on one thread. This is getting a bit confusing. See you soon. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 05:24 PM

OK...I just finished reading the information on the other thread...the"August GTG in Honolulu" thread. As for which restaurant location to go to...the South Beretania one is fine with me. I don't know one from the other.Last weekend I did my flight/hotel/car reservations on Travelocity.Thought I'd try something different.I seldom book over the internet. I usually deal with the airline separately and then AmExp to book the hotel of my choice. I should have stuck with my old rule-of-thumb system that's worked fine for 30 years. The day after I did my Travelocity reservations, I went back on line...used a different computer... one with an in-focus screen... and noticed something to click on where there were reviews of the hotel. Well, it looks like I've booked myself into a "roach motel" type of place....although Travelocity has given it three stars...maybe three "fallen stars". Ha...Ha...Ha... So, I'm presently working on a hotel change, but everything else is in order.So whatever happens with the hotel situation, I'll still be there...it's not like the first "roach hotel" type of place I've stayed at in the world. I just had to laugh hysterically when I read the reviews of the hotel and shake my head and say to myself "What in the world have I gotten myself booked into this time?" It'll all be ok though. I'm not going to stress out over it.See you all soon...and possibly smelling of Black Flag! Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 05:36 PM

what hotel was it?
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:24 PM

Guenmai:
Let us know if you need anyone to check out a particular hotel for you or if you need a critique on a particular hotel( we might know something to help) ... Kuranosuke probably knows the manager
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Current headcount in alphabetical order:

(1) Guenmai
(2) HawaiianTraveler
(2) IsisMnroe
(1) Kathie
(2) Kuranosuke
(1) Lcuy

Looking forward to hearing from divediva and any others.

Attendess in spirit: rhkkmk and Craig
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 08:57 PM

I think MelissaHi may show up as well..Hope so!!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 10:30 PM

ht; how the heck did you know? i think between the two of us, we must have about 80% of the properties covered.

if the box of wine you are bringing is the black box from vintage wine cellars, then its very good, for a card board box wine. .

guenmai; post the hotel's name, and i am sure one of us locals will probably know about it.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Kuranosuke...It was the Airport Hotel( a converted Holiday Inn). Travelocity had given it three stars,so I thought it would be fine, but others had given it 1 star and basically said,"Never again." I thought the location would be good since I get in very late and fly home in the early afternoon on Sunday. But, as of this morning, I have escaped the grips of the "roach motel" and have been booked into a different hotel that overall had very nice reviews. Off the top of my head, I don't remember the name of it since I'm not at home right now and all of that information is at home, but I think it is on a street called, "Kuhio Avenue" wherever that is. I'll go on mappy.com or mapquest.com to look up the street.A lot of the hotel names sound the same to me. It seems very difficult to pick a hotel in Honolulu. I've never had this much trouble picking a hotel. I wanted to stay at the Ala Moana Hotel since it sounds as if it's at the shopping center. I called my person over at AmExp Platinum Travel at about 1AM this morning and she called the hotel directly and it's booked solid...all 1100+ rooms. She tried day before yesterday,too. Oh, I think my new hotel is in an area called Malia(sp?)...or either that word is in the name of the hotel. See you all soon. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:13 PM

Hawaiiantraveler-Thanks for the offer to check out my hotel. I don't have the name of it on me right now though. All of that infromation is at home. Take care. See you all soon. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Guenmai:
From the sounds of it you have gotten a 100% better room and location. Kuhio Ave. is right in the heart of Waikiki and your only 1 block away from Kalakaua (the main street in Waikiki) and the beach.
Your hotel is part of the chain I recommended to Kathie in an earlier thread if she couldn't find a Sheraton property. You did real good! That airport hotel is far away from everything but the airport and a bit dungy to say the least.
Aloha!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:23 PM

guenmai; well, too bad about the airport hotel. it used to be good as a holiday inn, with probably the highest occupancy rate in honolulu.

the malia is on kuhio ave. which runs parallel with the main drag, kalakaua ave. the malia use to be the wailana malia.

your hotel is just down the street from keo's thai restaurant.

well, at least you are in waikiki.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Guenmai- Ive had friends stay at the Malia. Nothing fancy, but it's a decent hotel, right in the heart of Waikiki.
Lucy
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 07:06 PM

I will make every effort to be there.
I work on friday and saturday so ....
i am working on it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -