Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   around Calcutta up and down (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/around-calcutta-up-and-down-521407/)

sourire Apr 15th, 2005 05:16 AM

around Calcutta up and down

hello,
we going to Calcutta next october with a plan on staying there around 8,10 days to work. so, after it will remain 20 days in India.
we're planning to go to Darjeeling does anyone know some place of interest on the way up and is it worth ? plus, at the end we would like to stay 3,4,days on a seaside (before going back to work in France)
so some suggestions for a sea resort will help us.
we've been in the south a month few years ago, we're low-cost backpackers travellers and we do like taking time to know people.
thank you very much.

JaneB Apr 16th, 2005 10:46 AM

How are you traveling? We flew from Calcutta to Bagdogra and then took a taxi for 2 1/2 hours straight up 7,500 feet to Darjeeling. Just that ride was pretty exciting--one-lane roads with vehicles passing constantly--no rails left on the steep slopes due to accidents!! We met a young British couple on the train from Jaipur to Agra who had been working (he was a doctor) in Sri Lanka and they loved it. There would be beaches there.

subra May 7th, 2005 10:21 AM

October in Darjeeling? Not the best of times, but you will be able get away from the crowds. By that time, the monsoon should have subsided... and travel on the road is no fun, if you dont have the stomach for fellows speeding along roads which look unfit for mountain biking in places.
You could fly from Cal to Bagdogra and taxi from there. Or, take the Darjeeling mail or the Kamrup Express (overnight journey) to New Jalpaiguri. From there, you can taxi or take the 6 and half hour train journey. The taxi will do the same in 3-4 hours. En route, you pass one of the highest stations in the world- Ghoom. From there, you have a breath taking view of Kanchenjunga... if the weather permits it. Tiger hill sunrise is worth it is not foggy in the morning. You will see the Batalia loop on the way up and down anyway. It is tragic that you have no time, but if you did, a journey to Gangtok would have been breath taking.
In Calcutta, they will suggst KC Das rosogollahs- they are tinned, safe and very grainy. If your stomach if up to it, you should try the French colony of Chandan Nagar near Cal and their rosogollahs. They are perishable- and very, very good.
As far as a beach resort is concerned, the choice is between Goa and Kerala. Both are likely to be a little wet at that point of time, but still interesting.

sourire May 12th, 2005 12:01 PM

hello,
thanks for the info,both of you,
but subra why do you said not the best time because when i look on the wbtourism they said good time between september and december! we are thinking going by train from calcutta but not direct stopping in interesting place to darjeeling, and do you know about digha the beach next to calcutta? thanks bye

subra Jun 6th, 2005 11:53 PM

Sorry abt not replying earlier, but I was in Calcutta last week and I decided to check in depth b4 replying. Well, the problem is one of rain. It is unpredictable at that time and I have had friends who have had an entire vacation washed out. After June 1st, its just luck. Oct Nov the odds are better yes, but still, luck.
Next, instead of Darjeeling, you could consider Sikkim. The only problem (other then weather) is the men in green (AKA the Inidan Army). It is less crowded, more clean and pristine. The link from Cal is the same but the journey from Bagdogra or Jalpaiguri is longer, thats all.
Finally, Ive heard that Digha is ok, but Im not going to bet on it. Id think its worth a try!

Munna Jul 5th, 2005 07:53 AM

Hi,

I am originally from Calcutta, and whenever my partner (who is English) and I go back there (every November/December), we try to fit in a brief visit to Puri, in Orissa. It has long sea beaches, cashewnut groves, and you can fit in brief day-trips to Bhubaneshwar (the capital of the state, Orissa) and to the ancient sun-temple of Konark (absolutely fascinating). Hotels are basic, but very cheap, and we have always found the people to be very laid-back and friendly. You can take an overnight express train from Calcutta and reach Puri early in the morning. The Tourist Information Bureau in Calcutta should be able to suggest hotels (and its best to book in advance in order to fend off the throngs of over-eager taxi drivers and rickshaw pullers who all want to recommend the "best hotel in Puri" otherwise!) And now that even Indian villages are becoming internet-savvy, you would probably find hotel listings online as well. It is worth then asking the hotel to book a car+driver for any side trips (which is the most convenient way of going around, and should be affordable despite back-packing budget -- Puri is a lot cheaper than Calcutta)
Hope this helps,

M.