Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Are you into "Bollywood" or Indian arts and culture?

Feb 22nd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Through travelling or living in a city with a large Indian population, how much do you like Bollywood/Indian movies, music, actors, arts, etc.?
Feb 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM

Love Bollywood movies and parties!
Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:00 AM

I've enjoyed a number of Indian films (Satyajit Ray, Mira Nair, Deepa Mehta especially). I'm not knowledgeable about the names of the actors. I enjoy listening to Indian music.

There's a neighborhood in Chicago I've been that's great --- several blocks of Indian shops, restaurants, sari-clad women.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:20 AM

I enjoy the energy of the singing and dancing in Bollywood films, and think some of the actresses and actors are utterly gorgeous. And as indianapearl mentions by name, some of these folks are heavy-hitters who enjoy reputations that are international in scope and defy classification as Bollywood alone.

BC
Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:27 PM

I took Indian cooking classes for several years from a Jain woman I met during the 1980s. I'm sad to say that she died on Nov. 18th, the day I arrived in India. I had planned to have a visit with her after my trip. She was such an inspiration to me. I had visited her in the summer before my trip and, true to her fashion, she corrected my mispronunciations of Hindi place names.

I like to read about India as well. Novels, histories -- am reading a book about Hinduism by a woman named Wendy Doniger, a faculty member at the U. of Chicago --- it's a very approachable guide to the faith. The book is the size of the Manhattan telephone directory, but well written and doesn't take itself so seriously as many scholarly works do.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

You will like this YouTube of US ice skaters doing a very good job with a Bollywood skating routine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmlRJ64PCRM
Feb 24th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

ttt for the video.
Feb 24th, 2010, 04:08 AM

Thanks for the link Jaya. Very entertaining routine!
Feb 24th, 2010, 05:34 AM

How fun! Love their costumes, but don't you think he needs a turban? Of course, it would fall off . . .