Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Appropriate clothing for ladies Feb/Mar (Golden Triangle) (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/appropriate-clothing-for-ladies-feb-mar-golden-triangle-397806/)

StaceyDahl Feb 11th, 2004 05:05 AM

Appropriate clothing for ladies Feb/Mar (Golden Triangle)

While men typically wear pants, it is not a main stay in my wardrobe...nor are long skirts. I can't really see my riding an elephant in a skirt, anyhow. ;)

I've read shorts are not appropriate and jeans appear to be frowned upon...so what are my options considering I'm not going to be wearing long skirts? (I can only think of khaki's.)

Thank-you for your help! :)

Kathie Feb 11th, 2004 05:29 AM

It's not so much that jeans are frowned upon, but they are way too heavy and hot in the tropics.

Wear long pants. You don't own any long pants? Then buy some there. You can buy light cotton pants cheaply anywhere. Sure, take a long some khakis if you'd like. You'll be most comfortable in long pants or long skirts, both in terms of the temperature and in terms of dressing respectfully.

agtoau Feb 11th, 2004 07:06 AM

StaceyDahl,

India is a free country and you have the liberty to wear what you want. However, know that being a white Western female (which I am presuming you to be) you will attract undesired attention if you don't dress appropriately (read don't wear tight-fitting skin-hugging garments). Also, better not to show too much leg.

Just as Americans have strange and mistaken notions about India and Indians, the Indians are likewise given to erroneous judgements about foreigners. A white women in provocative (to the Indian) clothing could be contrued as 'loose' and 'easy,' if you know what I mean.

Long skirts up to the ankles and pants would be sensible for the lower half, a shirt/top with brassiere without any display of cleavage, for the upper half.

StaceyDahl Feb 11th, 2004 07:50 AM

Kathie: the only long pants I own are 2 pair of jeans and 2 pair of khaki's (not including a couple of pair of dress pants). I live in Florida so if I'm not wearing shorts, I wear skirts. And I don't own *any* long skirts.

I really am not looking forward to buying pants for the trip as I know when I return I won't wear them again.

agtoau - I do plan on leaving my "clubbing" clothes at home. ;)

Thanks for your input! :)

sandi Feb 11th, 2004 01:11 PM

You can certainly wear cropped pants and still wear those in Florida.

Or your khakis will be fine for riding atop the elephant. Otherwise, skirts are fine, but these should at least be to the knee - mid-thigh doesn't go over too well.

The weather is so hot & humid in Thailand, that it is not unusual to see women (tourists) wearing walking-length shorts (to just above the knee) - but certainly not short shorts, unless you're at the beach resorts in the south.

I agree with Kathie re the jeans, they are just too heavy unless yours have been laundered very thin - still these would be uncomfortable, especially during daytime.

You don't indicate whether you will be in Bangkok, especially if you will be visiting temples there (or anywhere in Thailand). Appropriate dress is absolutely required for a visit to the Grand Palace - long pants or skirt, covered arms and backs and no sandles. If not, you will be given clothing to cover exposed skin. Likewise at most other temples, if not in moderate dress you will be provided at minimum a wrap-around skirt.

I'm sure you can find some inexpensive clothing items at Target and upon your return, donate these to a charity.

Cicerone Feb 12th, 2004 12:21 AM

For the record, Stacey will be in India on a tour of several cities in northern India which are generally referred to as the Golden Triangle. (Not to be confused with the three cities in northern Thailand which are also referred to as the Golden Triange.)

Stacey, don't foregt that it will be cool in north India in February, and cooler than you are used to in Florida even in the winter. Average temps are only in the mid 60s F. You can get the odd warm day as well as the odd cold day. Layers are best. Locals will be wearing sweaters and shawls. You will want long pants for the evening and for some days as well. Jeans are fine, I don't know why people think they are frowned upon in India, maybe it's a history of backpackers wearing them. Cropped/Capri pants are fine if you can't commit to long pants, but no one will be wearing shorts because of the weather more than anything else. Bring sweaters as well, and you will see many lovely shawls for sale that helpd keep the chill out.

Sunrise at the Taj can be really cold, like the high 40s F, so bear this in mind.

When ridiing the elephant in Amber, you will be on a howdah (wooden seat). I have done it in a skirt as well as pants.

sandi Feb 12th, 2004 05:56 AM

Cicerone - Thanks for clarifying "which country/ies" StaceyDahl will be visiting - it can be most confusing how some posts are written.