Anywhere Thai travel magazine's best hotel list for Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday, I zipped down to the Thai bookstore in downtown L.A. to pick up my newspapers and magazines and noticed the Anywhere Thai travel magazine's list of best URBAN hotels for 2005. It's interesting to read other's opinions. Their list goes as follows:
1)Sheraton Grand Sukumvit 2)JW Marriot Hotel 3)The Westin Grande Sukumvit 4)The Landmark 5)The Sukothai 6)The Banyan Tree 7)The Dusit Thani 8)The Metropolitan 9)Sofitel Silom 10)Conrad 11)Four Seasons 12)Grand Hyatt Erawan 13)Plaza Athenee 14)Swissotel-Nailert Park 15)The Oriental 16)The Peninsula 17)Shangri-La 18)Marriot Resort and Spa So... that's the list folks....There's also a list for best luxury resort hotels/best small&stylish hotels/best resort spas/and best urban spas...the lists include all of Thailand.... Happy Travels!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:59 AM

Interesting. What was the criteria and who did the voting? Don't worry it has no effect on my hotel decisions.

Could you give us the lists for Chiang Mai? That's where I'm always looking for something new and different.

Thanks
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 07:13 AM

Great. The hotel we are staying at (Pathumwon Princess) is not mentioned.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 07:31 AM

interesting that the royal orchid sheraton is not even listed....they must have stayed there also!!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 08:27 AM

I'm fascinated that they have the top hotels way from the river. I have to admit that every time I look at one of the hotels away from the river, I just can't bring myself to stay there.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:03 AM

kathie---lets keep the river a secret and gloria, gpanda, you and me will be the only people there plus the few we have already leaked it to....good idea??

the system is acting funny again!!!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:09 AM

roberto, "maybe they stayed there" lol. sorry kathie, just thought it was classic robertorian humor. lol.

yes, fodors is acting strange.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Yeah....I had trouble trying to reply earlier. The system wasn't working and one of my replies wouldn't post. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Earlier I spent 15 minutes typing(pecking) the whole list of the best small&stylish hotels...and I just noticed that it didn't post.How frustrating!!! I'll try it again if I can retype it all in 15 minutes. 1)Phujaiai 2)Tamarind Village 3)Ratchamanka 4)Loei Leela Wadee Resort 5)Sugar Hut 6)Mooban Talay Resort 7)Le Vimarn Cottage Hotel 8)Veranda Resort&Spa 9)Kaban Tamor resort 10)Baan Talay Dao 11)Aleenta Hua Hin Pranburi 12)Praseban Resort 13)Purimuntra 14)The Tubkaak Krabi Resort 15)The Cliff Ao Nang resort 16)Nakamanda 17)Buriraya Resort&Spa 18)Costa Lanta 19)Srilanta 20)Avantika Boutique Hotel Phuket 21)The Chedi Phuket 22)Twinplalms Phuket 23)Andaman White Beach Resort 24)Koyao Island Resort 25)Maiton Island Happy Travels!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:15 PM

Yes, it is classic "roberto" humor - laugh quietly and don't encourage him too much!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:56 PM

Guenmai - thank you for posting the list of those lovely hotels. I am having trouble finding the first one - can you check the spelling for me? Or can anyone else find a link for this?

Many thanks
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

I double checked the spelling of the hotels I typed after I typed them. I don't have the magazine with me now...it's at home... and I don't have a computer at home. When I get home I'll check the spelling again and if it's different from the way it was spelled in the magazine, then I'll repost tomorrow.Tomorrow, I'll also try to post the rest of the lists of BEST places. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

OK...Belle...I've rechecked the spelling. I have the magazine in front of me now and...I missed a letter...the correct spelling is Phujaisai. I forgot the"S". It's REALLY time to get to the eye doctor for new glasses! Here's the list for best URBAN SPAS...in case anyone is interested...1)Devarana Spa(Dusit Thani Hotel) 2)Oriental Spa(Oriental Hotel) 3)Banyan Tree Spa(Banyan Tree Hotel) 4)Shambala Spa (Metropolitan HOtel) 5)Mandara Spa (Marriot resort&Spa) 6)The Sukothai Spa(Sukothai Hotel) 7)Chi Spa(Shangrila Hotel) 8)The Grande Spa(Sheraton Grande Hotel Sukumvit 9) Seasons Spa (Conrad Hotel) 10)I.sawan Spa(Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel) 11) Being Spa 12)Sareerarom 13)Paris 14)Pradu Spa... I'll try to type the Best Resort Spa list and the Best Luxury Resort Hotel list later. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

If anyone wants me to type the other BEST lists then let me know and I'll do it. It will take some considerable time, so I don't want to spend the time if no one is interested. I think the lists give folks good ideas and possibilities of places to stay/try out. Many of us, who are regulars to Thailand, have our own favorites which we will stick with. But, many newbies have no idea what's out there. So, I find the lists better than just picking up a travel book...usually outdated...and trying to pick out a place. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Guenmai - I would really love those lists if you do have the time! We like to stay new places each time we visit - no rush, we are not off for another 10 months yet
Many thanks
Lucy
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:29 PM

Guenmai:
You know Mrs. HT and myself are always looking for new places to eat and shop...no hurry, but you know I always take notes.
Aloha!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:17 PM

I, for one, am not at all surprised that the list of urban places had so many hotels that are in the downtown area of BKK. I just spent two weeks in BKK (with a couple days on Phuket) and the one and only time I ventured to the river, I never even looked at the water! After my fall on wet pavement in front of Sh-La, I think I'll make the trip to see the river even less often!! If you are staying at a river hotel, that's really the only reason to venture down there (IMO). Now I don't want to start something here!! It's MY opinion!

There is so much to see and do in the downtown area. I'm glad the "list" shows that to be true. At last I feel support for my desire to stay in that area rather than the riverside.

I'm jetlagged after my 19 hours on planes getting back to ORD, and then three hours in the car to reach my own comfy sofa, so bear with me if I sound irritable.

Carol
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

I agree Carol. The first time I went to Bangkok, back in the 90s, I stayed in town at the Siam Intercontinental, next door to Siam Discovery Mall. It was on the land the Paragon Mall is being built on and I couldn't have been happier. The only time I saw the river was after I had gone to the Grand Palace and decided to take the boat down the river to The Oriental because a friend said that I should take a look at the Oriental. I then boarded a taxi and went back to the Siam Intercontinental and had a great time in town. I only use the river for transportation. There's nothing much exciting to do in that part of town. See you soon. Glad you got back safely. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

OK folks...I'll start typing the rest of the Best lists tomorrow. It might be broken up in parts as I only have 15-minute periods of time to type in. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:33 AM

guenmai
I saw that Siam Intercon on my first trip to BKK. Yes, it looked really nice, and very Thai. Wish I could have stayed there.

I can't wait to have a good look at photos son took on his first trip to BKK. He isn't much of a photo taker, not like me... I've always got the camera ready for those Kodak moments! anyway, his photos are of the area around Siam BEFORE the skytrain. I assume you have seen that also?

See you in BOS.

Carol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -