Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Anyone used makemytrip.com for flights in India?

Mar 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

I was checking Jet Airways on some internal flights and came across the website Makemytrip.com. They can book Jet Air and other domestic carriers and have a USA phone number. Would like to know if anyone has had any experience with them?
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:38 PM

I have and they are quite reliable. I am Indian expat and I fly home regularly from either coast. However makemytrip has been flagging in its popularity, and I get the best international deals(to india) on travelocity(ex-US) and best domestic deals(within india) at:
www.yatra.com
www.cleartrip.com

Jet Airways and Sahara Airlines, the two more trusted fliers within India, have pretty good deals on their corporate websites as well. But overall, the 'all airlines' booking sites are more useful.

another word of advice, stay away from local budget carriers. Even regular carriers like Jet/Sahara/Indian/Kingfisher have pretty competitive deals nowadays, and budget airlines like deccanair, spicejet, go-air are notorious for delays and cancellations.

Mar 6th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Any idea why Makemytrip is sinking in the polls? I'm looking for a reliable source of internal air fares (Delhi-Udaipur, etc). I'll check out the websites you mentioned. My concern is always about how to reach someone if there's a problem after booking (like the airline announces an internal flight cancellation & rescheduling that would cause you to miss your international connection (it just happened to me in Mexico).
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:53 PM

For internal flights, I've used cleartrip.com recently. They've got a lot of promotions going on at the moment.

Also, about budget airlines, I find spicejet really good, its a no frills airline so you don't get a meal, etc but the planes are new and the staff is very good. I normally use jet and kingfisher though.
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:09 AM

trying to book Delhi-Kathmandu and called the 800 # at Air Sahara as its prices were the lowest. Non-Indian nationals a) cannot book except in India and b) are given higher fares. So much for that. The person did give me makemytrip and I called them. So far makmytrip is the lowest fare to KTM and that is still highter than the on line ares. THEN, I pluuged india travel agents in NY into google and got a list of them. Will call them (about 8) to see what fares they can get for me. will report back when I find out more.
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:54 AM

I just realised that cleartrip doesnt accept credit cards not issued in India... Yes, you could try a local travel agent to do it for you...
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:39 PM

I looked up travel agents in NYC where I live and found several. All can provider reservations/tickets from India to other destinations. Try calling makemytrip.They were helpful on the phone, as well. Cost of tix was higher thatn what we are finding in NY, though
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM

i would still trust the airline websites(www.jetairways.com, http://www.airsahara.net/s2v1/) over any travel agent in NJ/NY...not distrusting them, but why bother with agents when you can DIY. I just bought Jet Airways local tickets(Delhi - Calcutta) using my US Credit Cards(btw, even US debit cards work)
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:25 PM

...adding to my previous post, there cant be a more authentic source of information than the airline websites themselves(about delays/rescheduling) and the customer service at Jet and Sahara is pretty reliable.
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:21 AM

floydude;please tell me how you were able to book on air sahara's web site. It does not allow non-Indian nationals to book. I even called direct to India (its 800# doesn't work) and spoke with someone in Mumbai. He confirmed that non-Indian nationals can only buy tickets in India, cost /tix is lower for Indian nationals than the rest of us and not with an US credit card. what am I missing? NYC travel agent quoted $250 R/T bet. DEL-KTM. Please share your dexterity in buying tix. thanks
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:23 AM

floydude. I got it...you are an ex-pat and that is what makes all the difference bewt. being able to book and being forbidden to book. I don't see any other choice than to use a NYC travel agent to buy the tix. for us.