Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Any companies in Thailand that put together tours to Cambodia?

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a Thai based tour company that can put together a tour for 2 to Cambodia including all air. We want to fly from Bangkok to Phnom Penh, stay 2 nights, fly to Siem Riep stay 6 nights, then fly back to Bangkok. I've only found one so far, Pink Rose Holidays. Does anyone have experience with them or anyone else who is reliable? We will be doing this in November after spending a week on a Star Clipper cruise RT Phuket, which is where we will start from.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 12:10 PM

I'm sure that any tour company in Thailand can put this together for you. That said, it's very easy to do on your own... and it will be less expensive and exactly what you want.

Thai Air and Air Asia (a budget airline) both fly to Phnom Penh, then you'd likely want to hire a taxi to Siem Reap. Bangkok Air is the only airline that flies from Siem Reap non-stop to Bangkok.

In Siem Reap you'll want a car and river and likely a guide as well. If you've been reading about Cambodia on this board, no doubt you've read about Ponheary. Even if she is not available, she can set you up with a driver and guide. And if you've been touched by the work of Ponheary and one of our own Fodorites, Lori, you'll want to visit a school and donate uniforms or supplies or breakfast, etc. Take a look at www.theplf.org

Ponheary can get hotel reservations for you at a better price than tour agencies as well.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 03:48 PM

Bangkok Airways also flies to Phnom Penh, and they're usually cheaper than Thai for that destination.

I agree with Kathie that this is very easy to do on your own.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Michael, Does Bangkok Air also fly PP to SR? If so, the Discovery pass would be a good deal for them.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 04:20 PM

No, they don't, but I think Siem Reap Air does. Can you use the discovery pass on Siem Reap flights?
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

I know I can probably do this myself for less money except for the flight parts. I'm concerned about how far in advance I need to book them. How busy is the season between Nov. 29-Dec. 6? We will be flying from Phuket to Bangkok after leaving a Star Clipper cruise on Nov. 29 then going to either PNH or REP on the last flight of the day. Then we need a flight between the two cities. And a last flight back to BKK on the day we fly back to the US that gets us to BKK for a 10:30pm flight home. We can do Cambodia with either city first, 2 days/3nights PNH and 5days/6 nights REP. Which order do you think is best?
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 04:58 PM

A tour agency won't necessarily save you money on the flights. Those days are mostly over.

Keep in mind that if your flight to the US is on a separate ticket than your flights to and from Cambodia, then you'll have to go through immigration on your way back. You should allow at least four hours for your layover in Bangkok.

If it were me, I'd do Angkor first, then use PP as my place to wind down after what might be a very busy time in Siem Reap.

November / December is peak season, so you should make your arrangements no later than September.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:44 PM

susiesan - May I suggest that instead of flying between PP and SR tax a taxi and see some of the country side. The road is good and it takes around 5hrs and if you see something of interest you can have the driver stop.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

I was going to fly between the cities to save time since we only have one week in Cambodia. How much would a cab be?

As to immigration, when we fly from Phuket to Bangkok to catch a flight to Cambodia we will have already been in Thailand for a week. So this would be an international flight from Thailand to Cambodia then back on separate tickets from our US-BKK-US tickets.

According to Bangkok Airway's website the Discovery pass is good on Siem Riep Airways between PNH-REP.

You think if I wait until September there will still be seats available at thee lowest prices? i was going to try to lock in some firm flights and hotels now.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM

The taxi will cost around $50-60 and take around 21/2hrs longer than flying when you take in getting to/from airports and waiting time.

The Bangkok airpass is good on Siem Reap airlines but is only a couple of dollars cheaper 55+22 (fuel/insurance) = 77 compared to 79 regular fare. Better to use the pass on the Phuket/Bangkok section.

As far as immagration goes you will be stamped out of Thailand when you fly to Cambodia and given another 30 day excemptin when you come back if you are entering Thailand. If just in transit to catch your US flight no entry is required.

Cambodia visa can be had when you arrive at the PP airport if you do not have one.

Don't forget the Cambodia airport taxes that are not included in your plane ticket - $25 intetrnational, 6 domestic.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 06:39 AM

I agree that you can plan your trip on your own. The veterans on this board can steer you in the right direction.

But if you want someone who would plan the trip just like you would, or maybe even better because they've been to all the places and have a good sense of what makes travel great, then get in touch with Jeff at Legends of Siam. Here is his email address.
[email protected]

He is a Bangkoker from San Diego and a wonderful guy with a fine attention to detail. He has gotten me better deals at hotels, etc than I've been able to find online. He also knows all the best guides, like Ponheary.

He can set up anything you can dream up and the prices are as good or less than you will find in endless hours of researching. Yes, this is amazing given the fact that the glory days for travel agents are over.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Anyone know who in the US sells a Discovery Pass from Bangkok Airways and has information as to the costs for the individual segments? I've tried calling the phone number for BA in the US and it has been continually busy for 2 days. I sent an e mail to the Chicago office but no one has replied. Which US office is most likely to answer me?
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

I finally got through on the phone to the office. The price for tickets
Phuket-Bangkok, Bangkok-Phnom Penh, PNH-Siem Riep, SR-Bangkok is $398 each incl all taxes and fees. Does this sound like a good deal versus the other airlines flying SE Asia?? Air Asia has better prices on some of these segments. They were all gung ho to get me to buy them now 10 months in advance.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Some of this flights are only on Bangkok Air: the Siem Reap to Bangkok flight, and I believe the PP to SR flight.

Yes, I do believe it's a good deal. Even if you flew Air Asia on many of the segments, the cost of the SR to BKK flight is steep enough it's worth the pass. Also, you don't have the restrictive baggage limits on Bangkok Air that you do on Air Asia.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and buy the tickets now and reserve the flights you want.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:24 PM

If you did Air Asia from Phuket to Bangkok and BK to PP and then used Siem Reap and Bangkok airlines for the other two sections it would be around $314. This is providing you book Air asia well in advance to get the best rates. Since you are coming off a cruise you may have excess baggage over Air Asia limit so this has to be considered too.

If you deceide on the pass for all flights then I would book well in advance as these seats go fairly quickly in peak season.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Phuket-BKK on AirAsia is $37, BA is $70
BKK-PNH on AirAsia is $70, BA is $125.

44 lbs or 20 kg for baggage is not a problem-we travel light. Most economical sense seems to be use Air Asia for these 2 segments, BA for PNH-REP at $70 and REP-BKK at $158 for a total of $335 versus $401 for these flights with the Discovery Airpass.

I cannot book AirAsia yet as they are only booking thought November now.If I wait a month or two will the economy promo flights on Air Asia be gone? Or do they frequently have these sales?
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Air Asia's baggage limit is 15 kg.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

That changes things. Although we only travel with one check in and one carry on each 15kg is only 33 lbs. The empty suitcase weighs about 8-10 pounds. I may have to rethink this and go Discovery Pass all the way.

In Siem Riep, I've found 3 boutique hotels that will put together a tour for me. Any experiences with these:
Hanumalaya $80 dlx double
Golden Banana $58 2 floor villa
Bopha Angkor $53-77 superior/dlx double

All are small and more traditional than the other mid range hotels.

I also found a company, Discover Mekong,that has put together a private tour for 2 8 days/7 nights incl the flight PNH-REP for $605 each in 3* hotels, all transport, guides, admissions, hotels. 3 nights PNH, 5 nights REP. Sure does seem cheap!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM

No need for the hotel to put together a tour for you. You need a car and driver and a guide, you can use one of the guides recommended here or ask your hotel to arrange a driver and guide for you. Do get a copy of Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor to read up on the temples before you go.

Sorry, I don't know any of the hotels you mention, though I remember reading reviews of Bopha Angkor here. Is that the price range you want? There are many, many boutique hotels in Siem Reap.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM

If you feel that 15kgs is not enough then just book all flights on the Pass.

As for hotels I and some of my clients have stay at the Bopha Angkor and found it to be very good. The rooms while nothing fancy are clean and the staff helpful. Pool is small but adequent and nicely laid out. Breakfast is good but continental not american. If you can take the deluxe poolside.

I don't know of anyone having stayed at the Golden Banana Boutique hotel (seperate fron guesthouse of the same name). It is not that far from the Bopha so
the location is good. It is gay friendly if that matters.

Know nothing of the Hunumalaya.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -