Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed at the Amari Watergate in Bangkok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 10:00 AM
jhm

Any feedback would be appreciated vis a vis location, quality of hotel, etc. Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 12:47 PM
lynn

Hi - <BR> <BR>We didn't stay there but have gone inside a couple of times. <BR> <BR>Last year, we sat in the lobby having cookies and refeshments after walking around the area shopping. It seemed as though they had redecorated. It looked "fresher" in 2000 than I remembered it from 1999. <BR> <BR>Don't worry about the location. It's fine. Actually, it's quite central to many areas of the city. You're no more than $1-$2 from just about everywhere. Except the weekend market; that would probably be around $3 or so. Still cheap! Gotta love that Bangkok! <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR>T-119 <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 02:21 PM
jhm

Thanks so much for your help. I've been to Bangkok 3 times (!) already, and always stayed on the river before, so I wanted to try something new.... <BR> <BR>Do you know how far it is from the Grand Palace? Thanks.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:29 PM
lynn

jhm - <BR> <BR>It's about 3 miles as the bird flies. Of course you not being a bird and having to take a taxi it will probably take you between 20-30 mintues depending on traffic. <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Pas14

The hotel is located beside Pratunum Market and almost opposite Panthip Plaza. There is not much in terms of entertainment in the area, however there is a contra-bus lane around the corner from the hotel to get down-town quickly. Taxis, unfortunately must take the long way round and the skytrain is quite a walk from here (Rajadamri being the nearest). It is highly congested during peak traffic times. <BR> <BR>The hotel's public areas (including the restaurants) are much improved and now quite stylish. Service has always been indifferent, particularly in the coffee shop. The rooms are standard 3-4 star but not bad. <BR> <BR>Overall you are getting reasonable value for money. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>