Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Anyone overstay a Myanmar visa?
Notices

Anyone overstay a Myanmar visa?

Sep 22nd, 2015, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Anyone overstay a Myanmar visa?

Last week I received my Myanmar visas. They expire on 14 Dec 2015. My return tickets are for 15 Dec 2015. There was no place on the visa application for travel dates so the embassy made them effective for 90 days from the day I mailed the application to them. The embassy has been unresponsive to both my emails and my phone calls.
Has anyone had the opportunity to overstay a visa in Myanmar? If so, what was the result?
Appreciate any help,
Don
Sep 22nd, 2015, 01:39 PM

The visa you received expires FOR ENTRY into the country on Dec 14. Myanmar, like many countries, has an entry "window" on the visa. Your 28 days allowed in the country start from your actual entry date (as long as it is Dec 14 or after). It doesn't sound to me like you have a problem.
Sep 22nd, 2015, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie,
I guess that makes sense. As long as I enter Myanmar on or BEFORE Dec 14 I'm good. I still find it interesting that it starts on the day I mailed my application - no way I could have entered the country that day.
I wonder why the embassy is having such a tough time telling me this.
Thanks again.
Sep 22nd, 2015, 02:55 PM

Kathie is totally correct-if your last date to enter Myanmar is 14th December you can stay for 28 days from the date you enter the country.
Incidentally-although this will not apply to you any overstays cost $3 per day payable at the office to the left of the escalator just before passport control. A few days overstay will not cause problems but hotels are officially barred from accommodating tourists with an out of stay visa.
SS

Search this Thread