Reload this Page >

Anyone know the Bourbon St. Bar, Restaurant, Hotel in BKK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 01:46 PM
Kathy

Does anyone know the Bourbon St. Bar, Restaurant & Hotel in BKK? Recommendation? It's in Sukhumvit/Washington Square.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 11:40 AM
Pas

Hi there, <BR> <BR> Yes it is just off Sukhumvit 22 (Washington Square). The area itself is rather sleazy with some giant saunas, girlie bars and so on. <BR> <BR> Bourbon Street itself is ok. Nothing Thai about it as it specializes in Cajun Cuisine. The restaurant and bar are popular with Vietnam vets, newspaper men of a similar vintage and oil men. I dont know the standard of the hotel, which is just a few rooms, but I would guess it is reasonably good and comfortable as is the restaurant as they are both run by an American - Doug. <BR> <BR>The place does have the advantage of being close to the Skytrain and the Emporium shopping center. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 11:43 AM
Pas

Hi, <BR> <BR> I just noticed the question came from a woman. I would have to say that the vast majority of the clientele staying there is male.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 06:10 PM
Kathy

Hi Pas, <BR>Thanks so very much for your comments. Do you have any recommendations, maybe on the river (for easy transport) for a hotel? How's the Montien Riverside? Do you know the Newrotel, believe on Silom Road?

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 10:33 AM
lynn

Hi Kathy - <BR> <BR>Where you stay can really depend on what you are going to do most of the time. Staying on the river is good for some things and not others. <BR> <BR>I would ask how long are you staying in town and what do you plan to do most of the time? Perhaps I can help you narrow it down. <BR> <BR>Also, good sites for hotel rates are the following: <BR> <BR>Planetholiday.com <BR>Asiatravel.com <BR>Hotelthailand.com <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR> <BR

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 07:13 AM
Kathy

Hi Lynn, <BR>Mostly plan to see the palace and other sights, light on shopping, eat (of course). Time not an issue, probably stay in BKK 4 or 5 days max, then off to Chiang Mai. Thanks in advance for info you might provide, I do have your trip report and love it!

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 10:02 AM
Pas

Hi there, <BR> <BR> a lot depends on the budget you envisage. Currently very good value for money and on the river is The Peninsula which has been heavily discounting its rates as it continues to build its clientele. Rates are arouund $75 per night, although I think they increase slightly from November. A good place to compare hotel prices is the Asiatravel web site. <BR> <BR>The Montien Riverside is quite far from the city center. They operate a shuttle boat (about 20 mins) to the Rivercity tourist trap beside the Royal Orchid Sheraton. But it is not so convenient. <BR> <BR>I dont know about the Newrotel, although the Tower Inn on Silom is good value, and very central both to shopping, the river and the Skytrain. I don't remember how much it costs, although I doubt if it is more than $40 per night. <BR> <BR> <BR>