Anyone been to HK Disney yet ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it only open this week but just in case anyone has been or hasd done all the research keen on anything regarding hotels etc, perhaps Feb time we plan, I know HK but interested for anything people have founbd about where to stay and costs etc ( apart from what I have found on websites 0
Thanks
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:48 AM

hello james. how old are your children. from what i've read and seen it seems too be more like disny world magic kingdom which has many picturesque things to do but not much on the thriill rides.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:06 PM

I have been following all the local news report from Hong Kong about the Disneyland.

- First, you'll find that most of the visitors there are from mainland China. The following are facts - they tend to ignore non-smoking signs, line-ups, etc... And probably because of a lack of benches to sit on, you may find many people crouching. There are also reports of children peeing in somewhere other than restrooms.

- The park is tiny! That's the most frequenty comment from visitors who've been to other Disney parks. Smaller than the Ocean Park, for sure.

- The hotels are not run well, especially the cheaper Hollywood where there are long lines for check-in, poor service at restaurant, no food late-night. And I still can't believe there's no online reservation available.

Anyways, just the 2nd day after opening new reports say the park is quiet. Really few visitors on a weekday during school year, even right after it opens.

I'd say unless you're a Disney afficinado and must visit every Disney park in the world, I'd skip it...
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 03:44 AM

We have tickets for Nov.19th. Will let you know what we find. From what I read it is the basic Magic Kingdom set up. Yes, my husband does want to visit all the Disney venues in the world. I find the people watching very interesting.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 05:09 AM

There's a whole-page long traveler's guide in today's WSJ (the very first Weekend Edition, 9/17) on page P21.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Another update from HK media. It's the first weekend of HK Disney's operation, and it's a long 3-day weekend. [Sunday is mid-autumn festival, with public holiday on Mon.] Unfortunately, a typhoon (same as hurricane, but in the Pacific) neared, and it was raining hard in HK. Parades and other outdoor stuff were cancelled on Sat, and the park was pretty quiet.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 10:46 PM

There's a report in yesterday's Times which seems to reiterate that the park is rather small and short on rides -
http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/arti...782150,00.html
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Most agree one can finish visit the park in half-day with the few rides and short lines. At HK$350/US$45, it's only slightly cheaper than the Anaheim Disneyland. Just not a good deal.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses, for me personaly I have not the slightest interest to go but it's on TV here all the time so I might get stuck with having to go, I dread such places but I'm not the boss !!
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 04:32 PM

I went on one of the preview days and to my own surprise had a decent time. The park is VERY small. On a typical day you will pass the same rides 3-4 times. I would personally say plan a trip after Chinese New Year 2006 by when it will be much emptier. I found the facilities including benches and loos fine the day I went. IT is very well connected from HK island so you do not need to stay a a HK hotel - we took the train from HK Island station whcih was fine and reached in 30 mins.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 01:23 AM

Got back from a short trip to HK yesterday evening.

True it's small. The park opens at 10am. By 4pm we had basically gone through all the rides and shows. In fact we repeated several rides the kids wanted. Decided not to wait for the fireworks at 8pm as we were at a loss at what to do for the next few hours.

The place is pretty clean.

It got a little crowded only after noon.

Ok place to spend a couple of hours but don't recommend if if you're going out of your way to visit.