Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Anybody stay at Thai House in Nonthaburi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of booking 2 nights here as a contrast to bustling Bangkok, but in all Web searches can find only 1 review about the place. Does anybody have first-hand experience?
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 01:08 PM

I'd be intersted to hear of any comments as well....
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:59 PM

I was there in 2001, so don't know how it may or may not have changed... I went with a professional chef friend for 3or 4 days and we had a ball. The adventure started when they sent for us by boat- we left from the Peninsula and headed upriver for about an hour. It was November and the water was high, so Pip (Thai House owner- pronounced 'peep') picked us up at a wat nearby, rather than having the boat bring us directly to the property (the high water would not allow the boat to go under the bridges over the canals). Nontaburi used canals for transport before the road system was put in, so it's laced with waterways and they make for interesting exploring when you're not cooking.

We loved Pip's food and teaching and personality, so you will be very wellfed with food and TLC. In addition to cooking lunch and dinner, she gave us a tour of a local market, which is crucial to understanding Thai food, as well as the culture. Thai markets are a social center of each village and a great place to try out your language skills, or lack thereof.

The accommodations are in a beautiful, traditional Thai wooden house with the mattresses on the floor and shutters on the windows and separate, shared bathroom. It's much nicer than summer camp, but not the Peninsula. You come here for the experience and change of scenery; it's an upscale way to taste village life without some of the annoyances (dogs, motorbikes, loud neighbors).

I now live in Thailand, and probably the positive experience I had at Pip's helped us make the decision to come here. If you go, please tell her that Susan in Chiang Mai says "Hi".
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Rrose! The reception I got in Vietnam back in 1995 was a huge factor in my decision to move there. Hope all goes well in Chiang Mai.

Lucy, what do you think??
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Sounds great to me!