Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Any personal experience with Anantara Cruise on the Chao Phraya?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting to plan for a late-January/early-February 2013 trip to Thailand. Purpose of the trip is to visit son and daughter-in-law and their new baby, who will be about six months old then. (This will be a second visit to my new granddaughter as I will also be there in August/September 2012 for her birth.) My sister is joining me for this second visit. It will be her first time in Thailand and I am looking into a few new experiences that she might enjoy.

We will be in Thailand for about two weeks and while in Bangkok will be staying at a small hotel near where the family lives. We thought we might break up our stay with a few excursions away from Bangkok to give son and d-i-l a break.

I read about the Anantara cruises recently in the London Telegraph and wonder if anyone here has first-hand experience, or second-hand for that matter. The cruise includes two nights onboard in private, air-conditioned cabins, all meals, stops at many places including Ayutthaya, then returns to Bangkok the afternoon of the third day. I have had a couple of lovely and very enjoyable experiences with converted-rice-barge cruises in Kerala in the south of India.
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 04:51 AM

We did the cruise with one over night up to Ayutthaya years ago, when it was run by Marriott. A lovely and relaxing expierence if you don't have clautraphobia. My husband spent the night up on deck. The boat, state rooms, food were all top notch. Who else is on the boat with you can make or break the trip. We (celebrating our 35th aniversary) were on with a Japanes couple, who were on their honeymoon, and spoke about 3 words of English.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

kmkrnn - thank you for the reply. Nice to hear your experience that it was lovely and relaxing...
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 09:24 AM

except for what i falsely felt to be tight quarters--it must have been the dinner gin speaking, the cruise was worth every penny..

i felt like the crown prince riding high up as we sailed past all those famous river sites as we headed north. the food and service was fantastic.

karen failed to mention that year before last we did a 1/2 day cooking school on one of the sister boats going as far north as one of the major bridges and return to the marriott.. this too was a fantastic experience and unique..
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

rhkkmk - thanks so much for the additional testimony!