bkk hotel question

Search

bkk hotel question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bkk hotel question

I am arriving in bkk at around 11 am from toronto in december, and depart for phuket the next morning at 7:30 am. I will be with my family (2 teens) and we are currently booked to stay at Hotel Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport for that 1 night. my question is, given how tired we will be, and the fact that we are coming back to bkk later in the trip for several days and will stay at the marriott resort and spa, should we stay that 1st night at the airport or go in to the city for the afternoon and night and relax at a nice hotel? if so, which one (we will be in no shape to do much sightseeing and remember there is an early morning flight to catch! I will pay approx $200 /room if i need to. plse advise! you guys have been very helpful so far planning this trip!
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 05:39 PM

Mt personal recommendation would be to go into town rather than staying at the airport. Why? The Novotel at the airport is a nice airport hotel but there is absolutely nothing in the area to see, do or explore. No doubt you will be tired (the teenagers probably less tired that you'll be), but I expect you'll still want an opportunity to explore a bit, have a nice lunch or dinner, perhaps get a massage.

Since you'll be staying on the river on your way back through Bangkok, consider a hotel along Sukhumvit that is next to a Skytrain Station. This will allow you to get out and explore easily. You'll likely be very near a major shopping center and can have a light meal in one of the food court areas or go to a movie in one of the theaters that provide recliners, blankets and food and drink service.

Where to stay? Options include serviced apartments such as the Adelphi that Carol loves so much or hotels such as the Intercontinential, the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, the Westin, etc. Take a look at www.sawadee.com for ideas in your price range.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 06:39 PM

for my first visit with kids i would head right for the marriott at the start....the kids can unwind in the pool after the long flight...they can go out to the mini mall out front and get trash food and ice cream very cheaply and do it by themselves without you having to tag along...there is a bit of shopping out there also...and some games to play...

a perfect place for the 4 of you to start your trip and to unwind....don't stay at the novotel...nothing to do there for a day and 1/2 and only expensive so so food...
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Hey, just go here.

http://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/...cw_default.asp

You'll be tired, don't wanna go far. this place is IN a shopping mall. kids can head off, no fear - go see a movie, jump in pool, do huge BKK shopping mall stuff. There are a million great restaurants. Everything you can walk to. The minute you get that je-e-e-t laggy feeling. Five minutes you're in your bed.

Go see on the website. It's perfect.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

to clarify- it is only 1/2 a day, not a day and 1/2 that we will be there- the website of the marriott resort says it is 45 minute drive from airport as well, so not too much time would be there to enjoy!
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Jed

Since you have to be at the airport early, I would stay at the airport hotel for that night. Then you won't have to rush <i>so much</i> next morning.

You will be tired when you get there, can rest up, and go into BKK for a few hours if you feel up to it.