Any of the old Thailand posters here?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2020, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to frequent the forum here quite often, from '04 to '10, under the cheeky guise of Mango7
Reading the old threads was very entertaining, tonight. Miss you guys, if still here! Also miss the Dogster and Carol very much. Amazimg how the time passes....I know you are here, Bob, somewhere!!
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 03:26 PM

Hey, Mango, not many of the old timers are around these days. It's good to see you here, Mango!
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 07:37 PM

I'm still here.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Hey Kathie! Nice to see you!! Been a loooooong time. Hope you've been well

Hiya Guenmai...great to see you too. Hope youve been ok too!

Feels like eons ago we were somewhat of a close-knit bunch. Miss those days!
Glad I met Dogster. Had chance to meet Carol at Haagen-Daz, but squandered it!

I know Bob is around...is anyone else still here?
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by PaganiPilot
Hey Kathie! Nice to see you!! Been a loooooong time. Hope you've been well

Hiya Guenmai...great to see you too. Hope youve been ok too!

Feels like eons ago we were somewhat of a close-knit bunch. Miss those days!
Glad I met Dogster. Had chance to meet Carol at Haagen-Daz, but squandered it!

I know Bob is around...is anyone else still here?

Well, you know that Carol passed away as I posted to you about it as I visited with her in Jan 2017 in Bangkok, the month before she passed away. She and I had a great visit and talked and laughed for a long time and then I headed back across town to where I was staying. Then, in February she e-mailed me from when she was back home and then a few weeks later, I think it was, she passed away.

As for others in the original Asia group, I have flown over to Hawaii and seen a few and then was just with one in Singapore in January 2020. So, they're around, but might not post anymore or not post as much as before, but there are those of who us have become friends over the years and are in touch on e-mail, in person and some travel on vacation together. Those were the fun days and with all the GTGs that we'd fly around to around the U.S. and also have meet ups in S.E. Asia.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi Guenmai,
Its tragic how so many posters passed in that 10 yr period. Happy I got to meet and have coffee with Dogster in the Novotel Siam lobby. He was a cool dude!

I remember one night in Bkk (ha!) circa 2008, there was a gtg at Nahm restaurant. I did go there with ex wife and saw a bunch of you guys sitting at a large round table with Hanuman and his girls. Wanted to say hi, but I know some ppl there werent too fond of me! Looked fun Food was memorably terrible, lol!

Next time in Bkk (after 9 years!)will stop by Via Vai and have a pizza for Carol

Nice chatting and ttyl

Kurt
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 06:10 PM

Hi Guenmai,
Its tragic how so many posters passed in that 10 yr period. Happy I got to meet and have coffee with Dogster in the Novotel Siam lobby. He was a cool dude!

I remember one night in Bkk (ha!) circa 2008, there was a gtg at Nahm restaurant. I did go there with ex wife and saw a bunch of you guys sitting at a large round table with Hanuman and his girls. Wanted to say hi, but I know some ppl there werent too fond of me! Looked fun Food was memorably terrible, lol!

Next time in Bkk (after 9 years!)will stop by Via Vai and have a pizza for Carol

Nice chatting and ttyl

Kurt

I was at Nahm again in Jan 2020 to check out the food since the new chef had pretty recently taken over. She has a restaurant up in San Franciso that's a hole-in-the-wall place, but reportedly was really good. I don't know how it's going now with the pandemic and all.

The new Nahm was very interesting and I liked it a lot. I also liked the previous Nahm, it's just that the new chef really used a lot of innovation with the new menu and food. I treated my best Thai friend to lunch there as she took a Grab over from work during her lunch break. I've treated her to a meal there before and try to treat her to one, really good meal during my 3 weeks in Bangkok as it's my New Year's gift to her. She and her boyfriend always take me out, too.

https://www.theworlds50best.com/asia...1-30/Nahm.html

Happy Travels!

Old Jul 19th, 2020, 09:43 AM

I am here from time to time, but rarely.

left bkk on Feb 12, 2020, just in time.

find forum very boring the last few years
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 04:51 PM

Alas! It's not like the good old days, is it, Bob?
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob, yes the forum seems dead now...was so lively back in the day. Had lots of fun interacting with all of you. Sad its gone now

Ended up divorcing my thai wife since ive been gone. Haven't been back to Thailand in 9 yrs...missing Bkk v much. Perhaps in 2021??

Guen- thanks for the info on Nahm!
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 04:32 PM

This forum overall is dormant. The fun is gone too for the most part.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jacketwatch
This forum overall is dormant. The fun is gone too for the most part.
So sad! Was really a blast to post here back in the early to latter 2000s. So many colorful characters, it was amazing. I do cringe at some of the provocative things i posted, but loved the sometimes fiery responses. Wish I had met most of the ppl here. Fond memories!

Curt
aka Mango7
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 11:09 PM

So sad! Was really a blast to post here back in the early to latter 2000s. So many colorful characters, it was amazing. I do cringe at some of the provocative things i posted, but loved the sometimes fiery responses. Wish I had met most of the ppl here. Fond memories!

Curt
aka Mango7
I think the mods took care of all that.
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 06:37 PM

Never posted here much, but I'm still alive. We have two trips to Thailand booked between now and year-end. I fully expect to have to cancel both.

Dave
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 08:45 AM

It's been months, but wanted to look at some old threads. Not even thinking about traveling with COVID-19.
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 05:02 AM

I know Hong Kong pretty well, having lived there for many years but Cicerone gave really great advice and recommendations, does anyone know what happened to her
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 01:46 PM

Hey Mango.
I just came back to Fodors a few days ago to read my old trip report from our Californian adventure 10 years ago.
This took me down a Rabbit hole of reading old posts and I came across your thread.
Whilst sitting here in cold and rainy SE OZ in lockdown, lamenting the fact that travel seems to be impossible for the next 6-12 months, it’s nice to hear a few old familiar voices, even if we didn’t all get along sometimes.

Last edited by shanek; Aug 21st, 2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shanek
Hey Mango.
I just came back to Fodors a few days ago to read my old trip report from our Californian adventure 10 years ago.
This took me down a Rabbit hole of reading old posts and I came across your thread.
Whilst sitting here in cold and rainy SE OZ in lockdown, lamenting the fact that travel seems to be impossible for the next 6-12 months, it’s nice to hear a few old familiar voices, even if we didn’t all get along sometimes.
Hi Shanek!
Nice hearing from you...always liked you btw!!
Will you go back to TH?
Miss the good ol days a lil.
Hope you are well, man!!

Curt
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 11:15 PM

Hi Shanek!
Nice hearing from you...always liked you btw!!
Will you go back to TH?
Miss the good ol days a lil.
Hope you are well, man!!

Curt
I hope you are well too. Life got a little complicated for a few years but it’s all settled down now.
I will definitely go back to Thailand one day but have found Cambodia and Vietnam to be more to my liking and budget. They don’t have the beaches or food to match but tick all the other boxes.
Speaking of Dogster, I was watching a show about the Sydney Olympic opening ceremony and his “ alter-ego” got a mention. Did you know that he was one of the creators of the stage show Tap-Dogs?
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by shanek
I hope you are well too. Life got a little complicated for a few years but it’s all settled down now.
I will definitely go back to Thailand one day but have found Cambodia and Vietnam to be more to my liking and budget. They don’t have the beaches or food to match but tick all the other boxes.
Speaking of Dogster, I was watching a show about the Sydney Olympic opening ceremony and his “ alter-ego” got a mention. Did you know that he was one of the creators of the stage show Tap-Dogs?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Triffitt

We met Nigel once in 2011 on the Celebrity Constellation. What a delightful guy. I know some of his posts were a bit challenging. However in person he was engaging, witty and of course a bit edgy but all cool. When we realized we would be on the same cruise we agreed to meet and I asked him how can I recognize him. He said "think of Keith Richard (the Rolling Stones drummer) after a hard night of drinking. And when I saw him on the ship I knew right away.. My wife named him hot dog. It fit.

Besides Tap Dogs he also created part of the opening ceremony of the Sydney Olympics. See the link above.

Bro you left us too soon.

Last edited by jacketwatch; Sep 5th, 2020 at 06:23 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -