Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Any India Lovers Seen the Alhambra in Spain (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/any-india-lovers-seen-the-alhambra-in-spain-711176/)

waynehazle Jun 6th, 2007 05:01 PM

Any India Lovers Seen the Alhambra in Spain

I just came back from Spain and saw Spain's most treasured site, an incredible Muslim fort & complex called The Alhambra (Red Fort). It was pretty amazing. I even noticed it is one of the sites nominated for the New Seven Wonders of the world.

I must say that if you are someone that has already seen the great Islamic/Mughal architecture of India, you may be a tad less... overwhelemed.

Don't get me wrong, the Alhambra was beautiful, but in the span of a week I saw the Taj, Fatehpuhr Sikr and the Amber Palace. The Alhambra has had much much better upkeep than the Amber Palace in particular. Also the fact that the Alhambra didn't have the water issues of Fatehpuhr Sikr has given them the most incredible gardens!

When I got to the Alhambra, I thought "Well this is what I would expect of Muslim leaders back then."

Perhaps if I had seen the Alhambra first, I would have been less impressed by some of the sites in India. Any thoughts?

easytraveler Jun 6th, 2007 05:27 PM

This is an interesting thought: comparing the Alhambra to the Taj Mahal - there just isn't any comparison, IMHO.

I'll agree that had you seen the Alhambra first, you would not have been less disappointed (? is this word?) in the Alhambra.

Both are artistic wonders, each within the culture that brought that monument into being. It's diicult to compare monuments that came out of such different cultures and circumstances.

Sorry, not of much help here! However, it's still an interesting thought! :)

rhkkmk Jun 6th, 2007 05:46 PM

no comparison, imo

thursdaysd Jun 6th, 2007 06:13 PM

Both magical, both worth seeing, but different. I saw the Alhambra long before I saw the Taj, and then again afterwards, and I'd be happy to see either again.

waynehazle Jun 6th, 2007 06:15 PM

I assume that is nothing compares to the Taj. Agreed.

I just can't help thinking of how much greater the Amber Palace and Fatehpuhr Sikr would be if more money was spent to keep the sites clean and they had lush gardens

Tangata Jun 6th, 2007 07:17 PM

Very interesting. We visited Alhambra in 2000, having visited India in 1992. After visiting Alhambra I noted in my diary, "We started with a visit to Alhambra, a magnificent example of Moorish architecture with subsequent overtones of Christian influences. On the whole the Muslim segment is by far the best. Some of it is truly beautiful and the pattern can be traced through to many parts of India; Delhi, Agra, Jaipur and so on. Although, of course, the Indian examples are from later."

I do agree, nothing compares with the Taj!

thursdaysd Jun 6th, 2007 07:53 PM

Wayne - I agree that some of the sites in India are (or were in 2001) in dire need of some TLC. I was especially struck by the memorial to the massacre in Amritsar that in some ways kicked off the Independence movement - it was dry and dusty and neglected, and could have been stunning.

lcuy Jun 6th, 2007 10:51 PM

My daughter was not nearly as impressed by the temples at Angkor as she might have been if she hadn't been through so many awesome ones in India.

ekscrunchy Jun 7th, 2007 02:24 AM

I would have to agree with you. Before I had been to India, I thought the Alhambra was the most staggeringly beautiful structure I had ever seen (embellished by the gardens). But the sight of the Taj, ( I was lucky enough to see it in the moonlight with very few people around) remains the most thrilling moment of a lifetime of travel.

Is the Alhambra really known as the "red fort?" I thought that was in Delhi.

chimani Jun 7th, 2007 03:45 AM

waynehazle - I agree,

just can't help thinking of how much greater the Amber Palace and Fatehpuhr Sikr would be if more money was spent to keep the sites clean and they had lush gardens.

But having said that - hey - look - the Alhmabra and the Taj were built several centuries apart.

And by different cultures.

Fascinating that you people think that because they were both built by people of the Islamic faith that there is a connection.

I don't think so. But if you know better please enlighten us all.

waynehazle Jun 7th, 2007 06:29 AM

<i>&quot;Fascinating that you people think that because they were both built by people of the Islamic faith that there is a connection.

I don't think so. But if you know better please enlighten us all.&quot;</i>

Arches, writings from Koran, use of gardens, use of elaborate patterns and no figures of humans or animals (forbidden in Islam)... and others. There is definitely a similarity, not meaning of course that they are they same.

And I saw, Angkor, then India, then Spain.

I am pretty sure Alhambra means Red Fort

waynehazle Jun 7th, 2007 12:01 PM

here are some black and white of the Alhambra

http://tinyurl.com/3b3tzz

vp_singh Jun 8th, 2007 09:37 PM

There are unmistakable similarities between the early Islamic structures found in India &amp; the Alhambra Palace, south of Spain. It was perhaps the intention of Muhammad to take away the interest of his followers from the real attractions of everyday existence. The islamic artists of the day found expression in the straight lines &amp; geometric figures, as drawing of existential figures is not allowed, for fear of idolatry. This artistic pursuit has found fine expression in the palaces at Alhanbra. If you closely look at the Qutab Minar, you shall see the beautifully carved honeycomb detail beneath the balconies are reminiscent of the palace in Spain.
Western architecture and artistes have always been restless &amp; trying to find answers to new questions. Therefore even before the Roman architecture reached it’s highest glory in Rome, the Gothic style was on the upswing &amp; finds it’s most beautiful expression in the Cathedral of Notre Damus, in Paris.
Oriental art &amp; architecture is more static, moving from the earliest Buddhist sculptures found in Gandhara region of Pakistan, through Baroli &amp; Devgarh to say Ranakpur Jain temples, the change is less evident in style. However, when the Islamic stream collided with the Hindu architecture, the impact changed the intrinsic thought prosecuting Islamic art, in Mughal India. The synthesis of the two streams find it’s most beautiful expression in the buildings commissioned by Shah Jehan, the patron prince of Taj Mahal, Shah Jehan Palace in Agra Fort &amp; Jama Masjid. This is what Tillotson probably had in mind when he said that the various parts of the two traditions combined in a new &amp; resolved style.